Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nostalgia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 10033 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »

I *think* it's October 15, but I'm not 100% on it. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Psycho_Kenshin

Dragon Quest is the best.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »

It's out on October 20th, according to Gamespot.com and Amazon anyway. I'll be getting it, looks great.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »

...How has no one made the obvious connection of what this game invokes?

SKIES OF ARCADIA

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »

SKIES OF ARCADIA

At least three people on the last page already said that, so yes.

And it's one of the main problems.  Skies was a really good game, so a lot of people are worried that in trying to copy it, Nostalgia is going to miss its mark and just get viewed as "That Skies clone that wasn't as good as Skies".
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »

SKIES OF ARCADIA

Yep! You're the first.

Looks like it may try to be one part Skies of Arcadia and one part old-school RPG (and look at how far that's gotten games lately).

Screenshots of the game give me a Wild Arms vibe and it sounds like the airship battles want to harken back to Skies of Arcadia.

The art style for the title is not my cup of tea but seeing as how we'll probably never get a Skies of Arcadia sequel, this will have to suffice.

Honestly, I don't see what all the complaining is about. After the total boring dirth of good DS RPGs (I'm not into Atlus remember), and generic looking graphics, this is definitely a large step up. And hey, Skies of Arcadia's one of my favorite games.

It does look very traditional in both storytelling and look and I doubt the airship battles will be as epic as Skies of Arcadia.

Well save for these guys and not-guys. >_>

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »

Shut up. I didn't read closely enough. :P
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »

I still luffers you dearly, Marky-poo.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »

I think what's important is how it's balanced. Old-school-styled RPGs live or die by it. At it's core, I mean, SMT: Nocturne is about as oldschool as it gets, but it doesn't feel like it because it's perfectly balanced.

And seeing as Nostalgia is coming from the FF3 and 4 remake guys apparently, I pretty much have no hope for it at all :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

You never know.  At least they don't seem to be peppering this game with random voice acting.  Oddly enough, I consider that a point in Nostalgia's favor.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »

Thread resurrection!  Well, Nostalgia's out and if you trust my reviews at all, I didn't think too highly of the game.  Are people still interested in it or did it just get completely forgotten in favor of the various shiny new and (most likely) better stuff out there?  Anyone here going to pick up the game anyway because they think I'm full of hot air and have no taste? (I'm sure plenty of readers out there think that.  I'd be surprised otherwise.)    

Ignition did a surprisingly good job with the localization (totally redeemed themselves after the Lux-Pain mess) so I have to give props for that.  But currently, Nostalgia's my biggest disappointment of the year.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:49:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »

The graphics are nice, the skill system is like those skills trees where you use SP from battles, but the story so far and dialogues well, i havent played much, but feel kinda dull, im hoping for a twist at some point -.- most of the story has been too dull until now

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »

Thankfully I have a buddy who buys nearly every DS RPG out there so I was able to give it a spin.

It was kinda dull, only speaking of the first hour or so, with nice graphics and sound, but plain art and typical plot setup.

From the little I've played I agree that it does seem like a waste of a unique (for RPGs) and potentially awesome setting.

I thought the robed guys shooting automatics were awesome though.

Ignition did a surprisingly good job with the localization (totally redeemed themselves after the Lux-Pain mess) so I have to give props for that.  But currently, Nostalgia's my biggest disappointment of the year.   

I'm interested in seeing how things turn out with Arc Rise Fantasia, now that they've taken over localization from XSEED.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »

I usually agree with your opinions neal, and despite what you said im still probably gonna pick it up at some point just cause.  I guess even though it seems dull..it seems like id enjoy it..cause ive never really been all that picky with cliche stuff..I mean...I enjoy reading DnD novels and video game novels..and those usually get pretty ripped on for being boring and cliche..but I love em..so :P.

Still its not super high on my list of must haves.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »

With a name like "Nostalgia", anyone who went into this game expecting more than a pretty average old-school style RPG is bound to get disappointed.

Shit, if this game even HAS a story it's already doing better then I expected out of it.

Also: I had no idea this was out, why did nobody tell me.  I didn't get a call from Gamestop or nuthin'.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 08:07:48 PM »

Like I said in my review, I LOVE good ol' fashioned turn-based JRPG romps.  Recent RPGM titles like Dawn's Light and Millennium: A New Hope were great.  A game does not have to be revolutionary or anything to tickle my jollies, especially considering how much I rant about arbitrary license boards and other such overcomplicated character-growth gimmicks. 

Nostalgia is the type of game that speaks to my tastes.  It's a game that I honestly wanted to like.  But save for the surprisingly good Ignition localization, I found it unsatisfying.  If this type of RPG is a chicken cutlet, Nostalgia was a very bland and underseasoned chicken cutlet.  I love the simple chicken cutlet, I could eat it every day, but it should still have some flavor.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: