Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 02:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340806 Posts in 13926 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nostalgia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 10087 times)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

I wanted to like Thousand Arms, but I could never get past the battle system. ATB with just one controllable character was a terrible idea.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »

Combat was easily the worst part of Thousand Arms.  My old, and perhaps overly long, reader review of that game from back in the day expounds like crazy on the battle system (and even how to exploit it.) 

Quote:
Hereís how Thousand Armsí battle system could have been improved. 1) get rid of that slow ATB bar and make it straight turn-based combat. Battles would go faster that way. 2) Allow everybody to fight. Iíd have liked for my seven party members to be arranged as follows: 4 in the front row and 3 in the back row. The back row people would be able to use both offensive and defensive spells. The back row canít use weapons, since no one has ranged weapons, but they can be switched with the front row people without penalty of a party member disappearing during a switch.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

i hated the battles, but loved the characters xD, and the events part are not GC, they are "anime-nised" O-o, but they look cool xD like a camera zoom

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »

I loved the way the camera would zoom in for the cutscenes.  And darn it, with all this nostalgic talk about Thousand Arms, I just had to switch out my Muttley laughing avatar for that old/classic Meis avatar I used back in ye olden days. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:22:19 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »

Thousand Arms is an acquired taste no matter how you slice it.  It's a flawed game that, to me, got by almost 100% via charm.  And even then, its charm doesn't appeal to everybody.  Thousand Arms is in my laundry list of games that I liked a lot more than I really should have. 

My sentiments exactly. I already know how flawed the game is, but even so, I still enjoyed it more than most of the other shit that people would consider "Game of the Year".

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »

I loved the way the camera would zoom in for the cutscenes.  And darn it, with all this nostalgic talk about Thousand Arms, I just had to switch out my Muttley laughing avatar for that old/classic Meis avatar I used back in ye olden days. 

I have to say I am not entirely pleased with this change.  Muttley > everything.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »

I have to say I am not entirely pleased with this change.  Muttley > everything.
Mais is pretty funny though, xD actually he may be one of the best main characters with funny personallity of all times xD

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »

Я согласен с Геном. I tend to associate posters with their avatars. Now I think Dincrest is a 12 year old girl.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »

My Meis avatar is one I used extensively from 2000-2002 I believe, so it's nostalgic for the oldbies.  But of late, I have enjoyed Muttley far more than Sly Boots, Isa (armpit girl from Black Sigil), Donnie skull (my staff av that accompanies reviews), and this guy: http://ronscire.com/images/artwork/large/th-guitar02.jpg  

If Meis makes me a 12 year old girl, I'm afraid what Mesh associated me with some of my other avs (like Muttley.)  

EDIT: And, yes, Meis is one of my favorite JRPG main characters as well. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:47:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »

I remember the avatar myself. I can't remember what I used around that time though. All my old avatars are on my old PC. If I recall though, I changed it like, every week to random girls. :P

On the subject of Nostalgia though (since I never particularly posted anything about it yet), the game never really crossed my mind, but I did just look up how Airship combat works, and I may at least borrow the game from a friend to see if I like it enough to purchase it.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »

Do you guys want a FREE COPY of Nostalgia?  Yeah, I've got five on my couch, go hit the main page.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »

Я согласен с Геном. I tend to associate posters with their avatars. Now I think Dincrest is a 12 year old girl.
Though.... Mais may be more manly that most of the ppl here... with all the girls he gets, and all the dates he goes, and all the girls he tries to get, and etc etc etc....

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »

Free?  I have to check this out after work today.  Hope the contest hasn't already ended by then. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »

I entered. Here's hoping for some good luck my way! Let's think positive!

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »

I want to give this game a try...I want to be prove myself that this is a good game.

Buuuuut in regards to thousand arms talk from earlier. It sure as heck is an acuired taste. The battle wasn't what got me, it was the footsteps.

*SwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwoosh*

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: