Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 06:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327318 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nostalgia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 9897 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »

Woohoo! I was one of the winners! I'll be sure to post my impressions after I get the game. :)

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »

I want to give this game a try...I want to be prove myself that this is a good game.

Buuuuut in regards to thousand arms talk from earlier. It sure as heck is an acuired taste. The battle wasn't what got me, it was the footsteps.

*SwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwooshSwoosh*

Rofl yeah xD, i loved the footsteps in this game, i didnt knew why i never got tired of it

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2010, 12:55:37 AM »

So I just got this game in the mail yesterday and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Sure, the plot is cliche (but it's a Japanese RPG so who cares?), but the gameplay is really good so far - the ship battles are fun and give some nice variety, the skill system is like a better version of Crimson Gem Saga, and it's just plain fun to fly around and explore stuff.

A few disagreeing points on the review on the website:

1 - The review complained about small towns & cities. I hate big cities in RPGs so this was actually a plus.
2 - The review complained that you had to backtrack your way out of dungeons. So far I haven't found this to be the case at all. In the first dungeon, you unlock a shortcut out after you beat the boss. In the second dungeon, you find an item that teleports you out of the dungeon and soon afterwords, you can buy a bunch of that item for dirt cheap and as far as I can tell, never walk your way out of a dungeon again.
3 - The review implies that airship and on foot battles are basically the same. Although there are similarities in that they're both turn-based RPG battles, there are plenty of differences as well like different skill sets for foot & air battles and the air battle direction system (enemies come from different directions and each weapon has a different power bonus based on which direction you're firing).

And things I agree with in the review:

1 - The music is good but unmemorable.
2 - No reverse on the airship is annoying (though not a big problem once you get used to it).

Anyway, I'm really liking the game. It's basically Skies of Arcadia with a worse plot and much better gameplay. Personally, I think that's an awesome combination, but your mileage may differ.

Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »

I enjoyed this game to the point that I did all the post-game content, my only complaint is the missable maps/items. Fuck the haters.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

There's never any accounting for taste.  If you liked the game, fantastic.  I didn't and gave an honest account of my experience.  I'm actually enjoying Last Rebellion more, and by all accounts it's a worse game. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »

Fuck the haters.

You're awfully eager to do these hit and run posts when you're defensive of a game. Which of course means this probably won't see a reply, but hey!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »

And speaking of tastelessness, one of the banner ads features a dude in the nude.

Speaks volumes about RPGFan doesn'tit (to be fair we haven't really had that many penis threads in the general discussion board in the past month or so).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: