Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341025 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "All Games becoming RPGs" Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: "All Games becoming RPGs" Topic  (Read 3718 times)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

It's interesting. I never knew role-playing game was in my silly Oxford/Apple Dictionary, but they assume RPG as:

a game in which players take on the roles of imaginary characters who engage in adventures, typically in a particular computerized fantasy setting overseen by a referee.

Perhaps "role" is essentially ambiguous leading into misnomers. This is just from the dictionary though.
Morgenstern
Star-Spawn of Cthulhu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »

My thoughts on the subject have already been shared earlier in the thread, so I'll be pithy:

Games making fresh, intuitive usage of RPG elements = Great!

Games tacking on RPG elements as a gimmickly selling-point = Boo!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »

Well, if you think about the origins of rollplaying, even farther back than P&P, it goes back to roll playing balls back in probably the 18th century... although I could imagine the Greeks doing something similar, so it may go back thousands of years. In these cases, basically it's improv theatre in a party setting. Each participant is encouraged to done a character (whether they create it or it is given to them) and act out that persona as best they can. P&P essentially does the same thing. Western RPGs usually don't allow you to play with the character very much, where-as jRPGs tend to force you to play them in very predetermined ways. Neither of them does a very good job of immitating actual "roll playing", IMO, but they each tackle the issue in different ways.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: