Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010  (Read 38154 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 05:18:31 AM »

I just finished the main story on the Xbox 360. I don't think it's worth re-buying, unless I spot it for some really cheap price or something.

- JPN/English voices/dubs. Includes French and German subs.
- Battle targets can be changed

Awesome additions, but still doesn't tempt me. I may give it a rent if it localises.

So....what about The Last Remnant now, eh?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:27:14 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 06:01:28 AM »

SO4 International info:

- JPN/English voices/dubs. Includes French and German subs.
- Battle targets can be changed
- Menu has been redone
- New characters (from GAF I believe)

And here I actually thought for a moment that they were going to try to fix something. It's a good thing we're probably not going to get this anyways.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:01:38 AM »

Why is everyone so excited? Isn't the game supposed to be crap?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:07:27 AM »

I didn't finish the original game, so I don't think I'd be able to get through to the original content.
*No Thanks*

...and that's a big thing for me to say about Tri-Ace, I'm more towards an admitted Tri-Ace bias.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »

Note how the people who are excited are people who have no 360 or have never played it before.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

Note how the people who are excited are people who have no 360 or have never played it before.

I'm one of them. LOL

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »

The problem was never the VAs. It was the god-awful script. It sounds terrible no matter what language you're listening to.

Oh, I know, but the awfulness is magnified with comprehension. They could give us Greek for all I care and it'd still be preferable.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »

I wouldn't call it crap...at least not complete crap. They IMO got the graphics right (look up the GDC presentation). You might not like the artwork but their tech should not be put into question. They got the gameplay right IMO. It just had horrible presentation and presentation means a lot to some people myself included. I bought this game on the 360 day 1 and got annoyed and shut it off before the initial cutscenes were over. I went back to it in June and eventually found out that the gameplay was good but my opinion about the presentation hasn't changed.

I missed the boat to bitch about it when it first came out because I didn't give it a fair shot, I await my chance to bitch about it once it is released on the PS3 and others find out for themselves how the game is presented...then again the PS3 version most contain something new, according to the Bioshock dev Sony requires it. They may want to take this time to make the story more presentable.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:00:34 PM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »

Hmmm, people really hate the story of this game. As far as I've heard its like FF X-2, the gameplay is great but people hate the story so much. Is it really that much worst than SO3? If the cutscenes are skippable than problem solved. Well, I enjoyed FFX-2 despite the story and what everyone else claimed so I'll eventually give SO4 a shot. I'll just wait a while a get it used and very cheap.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:08:11 AM by bigdeath » Logged
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »

The gameplay isn't really good either, there's nothing special to the slow battles and the item creation is pretty simple this time. The camera isn't great, the game's environments are mixed, the controls for movement aren't the best. It's a pretty big disappointment from tri-Ace.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:43:37 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »

The gameplay isn't really good either, there's nothing special to the slow battles and the item creation is pretty simple this time. The camera isn't great, the game's environments are mixed, the controls for movement aren't the best. It's a pretty big disappointment from tri-Ace.

Pretty much that.  They did a lot of "good" but didn't do it "right".
The graphics were stunning, the music was great.... but I know some people will hate the doll-like CGs and Sakuraba's "repetitive" musical stylings.

Battle was complicated, and sometimes stacking bonuses could be too much work (which becomes necessary for some of the difficulty spikes that game throws you in to).  Some characters are quite unbalanced or annoying.  Game mechanics were often either too simple, or too fussy (who got the extra endings?  Pain in the ass).  Unfortunately, it is also riddled with waaay too many anime-esque shinanigans that really destroy the quality of whatever enjoyable parts of the game.  To top it off, the dungeons take a long time to get through.

Another topic discussed sequels on handhelds: and this title in the series proves that its a good idea to be a bit more old-school.  I LOVE(d?) tri-ace....but man, the buttload of awkward that came with this game still gives me shivers.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »

I actually wonder if SE may've forced them to do a sequel since SO3 was meant to be the last. The game industry, both with publishers and the consumers and even some developers don't particularly care for having either a single title or letting a series run its course, and SO4 may well be an example of why the constant demand for a sequel can be utterly imbecilic.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »

I think I'll pass.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING!

Damn, you beat me to it. :P

Ignorance truly is bliss.

If there's a chance of picking it up with the JP language track packed in, I'd probably play it again. Since it'll be one disc, maybe I'll actually have the will to finish all the sidequests, 'cause the way they handled disc switching was terrible. Besides, I actually liked the gameplay a lot, and skipped most of disc 2's cutscenes, and still liked it enough to keep playing. :P

Who knows, maybe when it's 20 bucks, I'll give it another go.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:59:14 AM by Dizzy » Logged

Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

To top it off, the dungeons take a long time to get through.
Would not be so bad if they implemented a save anywhere option or check point system or system state option. I'm sure people will disagree with me but it might be part of the reason way portable JRPGs are taking over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: