Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:52:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319209 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010  (Read 36966 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2009, 04:52:36 AM »

I found another video

Note: BOING BOING UWAGH UWWAGHHH UUUUUWWWWAAAAAGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

She looks like she's at critical mass and desperately needs to take a shit. And she's got explosive diarrhea. And she competed in a radio talk show competition for a free Wii by drinking a shit load of water serveral hours ago. And she's covered in creepy crawly insects. And the insects are flesh eating. And she's got Mexican jumping beans in her panties. And her Vagina.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »

Sort of rise from your grave.

14 hours in the game and yes, some of the cutscenes are embarrassing and awkward. Not all though. Still having loads of fun especially from the gameplay.

Did the Xbox 360 version have a summary of the cutscene if you decided to skip the cutscene? The PS3 has one though.

Yeah... I just got Meracle... I have a feeling Sarah is next.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3177841

Review from 1up. A solid B, but for reasons I just simply can't agree with (the biggest differences from the 360 version was the option for JP VA and 2D art for menus and such).

There's one 1up reviewer who's lost all credibility in my eyes.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

Apparently from what I've seen they really haven't added any new characters to this. This'll definitely be a bargain bin purchase for me. I can't fathom it taking too long to drop in price either.

Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »

I'm actually really disappointed about the lack of new characters. There's an outside chance that no one has discovered them yet or they may appear as DLC, but it really seems like there are no new playable characters at this point.

I enjoyed the original in Japanese and forgave a lot of of the bizarre story and character design because of how chalk full of good content the game is. Still I was a bit confused when Crowe and Welch were not playable in the original since all of their marketing strongly implied that they would be. The Japanese official playstation magazine preview that came out right before the game dropped even listed them alongside the other nine playable characters and included profiles and weapon descriptions.

It bugged me but I got over it. Then when I heard an international version would be released on PS3, I was stoked because of how dramatically they improved SO3 with its director's cut version. New playable characters, bonus dungeons, versus mode, costumes, trophies, music, and so on and so forth.

SO4 International is really a tweaked port, not an enhanced one. Dual audio, more subtitles, and the ability to use anime or CGI character portraits - none of that is really new content, certainly not $60 worth.

But what really irks me is the dishonest marketing. There were multiple specific announcements about new characters (here's one - - >  http://i46.tinypic.com/k99n4o.jpg) months before release. Worse still, the official website gradually added four characters to the profile page of the original set of playable ones, including Crowe, Welch, Giotto, and Irene. The way it was done (along with the current set-up of the page) strongly implied that those characters would be playable.

They could argue that those four profiles were added simply because Crowe, Irene, Welch, and Giotto are important characters, but this would be disingenuous. For one, it's still deceptive since you're deliberately mixing NPC's with usable characters on one page for an enhanced port that has specifically advertised new playable characters. Secondly, they leave out a number of equally important NPC's, like Stephen Kenny, Prof. Bachtein, Lias, and Ghimdo. Why only list characters that people thought would be playable?

Assuming there isn't some DLC or big revelation on the way, this was a cynical move, even by Square Enix standards. They deliberately put rumors out there, let them fester on the internet, then re-released a highly anticipated remake with absolutely zero new content unless you count the lack of disk swapping. Maybe they were worried about not moving enough copies with FFXIII on the way. I can't guess. But I certainly won't spend $60 on an identical game after less than a year. I'll consider replacing my 360 version when this hits the bargain bin.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »

Wait, so all the advertising with Crowe as a prominent character and he's still not playable in the PS3 port?

Kind of a dick move.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »

Did the Xbox 360 version have a summary of the cutscene if you decided to skip the cutscene?

Yes, it did.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »

But what really irks me is the dishonest marketing. There were multiple specific announcements about new characters (here's one - - >  http://i46.tinypic.com/k99n4o.jpg) months before release. Worse still, the official website gradually added four characters to the profile page of the original set of playable ones, including Crowe, Welch, Giotto, and Irene. The way it was done (along with the current set-up of the page) strongly implied that those characters would be playable.

It should be noted that anytime a video game advertisement starts throwing around the term Kurbick-esque, it's inherently dishonest (especially for JRPGs as they almost never use anything more sophisticated than crap from new trilogy Star Wars).

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

So far, I'm enjoying this game quite a bit (2nd best SO to me). I withstood the English voice acting and weird cutscenes!

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »

So far, I'm enjoying this game quite a bit (2nd best SO to me). I withstood the English voice acting and weird cutscenes!

I respect your IRON WILL. I was thinking about getting this game, hell I enjoyed FFX-2 for gods sake, but Resonance of Fate has got be nearly as excited as FF13. I do love gun-fu.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

So, I never played the 360 version, so I was thinking of getting this. I really want to play a good sci fi game that isn't Mass Effect, and this seems to be the only recent release to fit that style of sci fi. I waited on the 360 due to bad impressions from many people and that by the time I had got interested in the game, rumors of an improved PS3 version was coming out. So here we are, a game that was received poorly getting a second chance, with additions like a better HUD and JP dub. Worth it?

Just to be clear, the only other SO game I've played was SO3, and I wasn't all that into it. It sucked having this game about space exploration and all these sci fi themes, only to be thrown inside "under-developed" planets that are no different than any other fantasy RPG.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »

Just to be clear, the only other SO game I've played was SO3, and I wasn't all that into it. It sucked having this game about space exploration and all these sci fi themes, only to be thrown inside "under-developed" planets that are no different than any other fantasy RPG.

I personally preferred SO3 over SO4, so you might wanna rent it first to see if you think it's purchase worthy.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2010, 02:54:39 AM »

So, I never played the 360 version, so I was thinking of getting this. I really want to play a good sci fi game that isn't Mass Effect, and this seems to be the only recent release to fit that style of sci fi. I waited on the 360 due to bad impressions from many people and that by the time I had got interested in the game, rumors of an improved PS3 version was coming out. So here we are, a game that was received poorly getting a second chance, with additions like a better HUD and JP dub. Worth it?

SO4 is like a cheap ass rip off of Mass Effect, except it doesn't even come close to a hundredth of Mass Effect's greatness.

SPOILERS in the list below:

1. There are lots of alien races like in Mass Effect, but they're all stock fantasy archetypes like elves, angels, etc.
2. Main character is an exceptional human in a special organization, except in SO4 he's a whiny bitch instead of a total badass.
3. Main character goes around gathering allies of different species, like in Mass Effect, but none of the characters are remotely deep or likeable.
4. Main villain is some extradimensional entity that wants to kill everything but whose true objectives are unfathomable to mere mortals like in Mass Effect, except in SO4 it's retarded and speaks like Dracula from Symphony of the Night.
5. A close friend dies like in Mass Effect but in SO4 he gets better by the end even though he falls into a black hole.
6. I could go on but you get the gist of it.

tl;dr: SO4 is what Mass Effect would have been if it was total shit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:03:18 AM by Leyviur » Logged

ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2010, 03:46:36 AM »

I personally preferred SO3 over SO4, so you might wanna rent it first to see if you think it's purchase worthy.

I dunno but I preferred SO4 over SO3 and SO1. I enjoyed SO4's gameplay (maybe except for the Item Creation part but still bearable).

ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »

SO4 is like a cheap ass rip off of Mass Effect, except it doesn't even come close to a hundredth of Mass Effect's greatness.

SPOILERS in the list below:

1. There are lots of alien races like in Mass Effect, but they're all stock fantasy archetypes like elves, angels, etc.
2. Main character is an exceptional human in a special organization, except in SO4 he's a whiny bitch instead of a total badass.
3. Main character goes around gathering allies of different species, like in Mass Effect, but none of the characters are remotely deep or likeable.
4. Main villain is some extradimensional entity that wants to kill everything but whose true objectives are unfathomable to mere mortals like in Mass Effect, except in SO4 it's retarded and speaks like Dracula from Symphony of the Night.
5. A close friend dies like in Mass Effect but in SO4 he gets better by the end even though he falls into a black hole.
6. I could go on but you get the gist of it.

tl;dr: SO4 is what Mass Effect would have been if it was total shit.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I'll be passing on it.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: