Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335210 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010  (Read 38175 times)
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:56 AM »

Star Ocean is another example of dialogue failure in a next gen RPG. I'm still gonna buy it though.

Finished RPG Count: 90
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

Maybe it's just me but I found the story fine (yet generic and standard).

I dunno but after reaching near the end of the game, I had a fantastic experience and found it really fun. :P

Did a lot of people hype this game up?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »

My biggest issue with SO4 wasn't the cheesy story as most games have cheesy stories, it was Emo Edge and how dialogue went on and on and on endlessly about the same subject.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »

My biggest issue with SO4 wasn't the cheesy story as most games have cheesy stories, it was Emo Edge and how dialogue went on and on and on endlessly about the same subject.

We have the same issue. Good thing that part was done already.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »

Maybe it's just me but I found the story fine (yet generic and standard).

I dunno but after reaching near the end of the game, I had a fantastic experience and found it really fun. :P

Did a lot of people hype this game up?

As 360's first big JRPG (after Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms before them) that was going to bring JRPGs to The Next Generation, but ended up being more like JRPGs Generations instead (actually this doesn't work very well since ST:7 had a cast that still gave a damn despite the lack luster plot, it would be a lot more apt to compare it with Enterprise).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »

Anyone else playing the International version? I'm playing through using Japanese voice acting with anime portraits and it's leaving a better impression, but still not great by any means. 

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »

ended up being more like JRPGs Generations instead

I don't think I could ever come up with a better comparison than this.
ULTROS!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »

Anyone else playing the International version? I'm playing through using Japanese voice acting with anime portraits and it's leaving a better impression, but still not great by any means. 

I kept the voice but used the Anime interface.

In fact, I'm in the post-game dungeon already! I'll put up my personal impressions later after this class.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »

There are some games I play more to see what will happen next, even if gameplay is a little stale (ie; Xenosaga).
This was the opposite.  I tried focusing on gameplay first, especially with this title.  For the life of me, I can't figure out what people hated so, so much about SO3.  I thought its gameplay was top-notch in terms of customize-ability and mechanics.

But anyways.  Though I don't diasgree; where the hell did that next-gen-rpg-revolution fall so flat?  The last batch of RPGs were so stale... it feels as though they are trying so hard to impress, they end up being hollow.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »

I wonder too if it's because the JRPG is getting older.

Many of the things we're complaining about, the power of love, overly dramatic characters etc are staples of the JRPG formula and anime.
Have you ever gone back and watched cartoons like the thunder cats and realized how crappy it seems now, but when you were a kid it was awesome?

Many people go on about how LO was garbage, but I thought the game was awesome, if it had been a PS2 rpg it would be getting a ton of praise.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

That might be partially true, but Lost Odyssey really does show some bad design choices and the PS2 game it reminds me of most (Shadow Hearts Covenant) I found grotesquely overrated anyway. Both it and Lost Odyssey fall in the same "kind of dull, yet just good enough to bother with" area of quality. That, and it feels somewhat like squandered potential, but what I had expected from the game probably isn't something one can easily pull off on modern hardware anyway, a game that literally spans a thousand years.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:59:08 AM by Eusis » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »

SH:C was one of my favorite PS2 rpgs, so I guess that explains why I like LO too.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »

There's nothing wrong with J-RPGs. The latest games 'on consoles' have just been at par or below. Tales of Vesperia, for example, is basically the same game as Eternia a decade ago, but it still comes off as great because it has compelling and interesting characters with calm and cool mature lead.

As for Star Ocean 4 International, it's pretty much sticks to its series roots in terms of story progression and gameplay. Anime portraits make the character seem more lively in text dialogue and the japanese dub don't make my ears bleed listening to the female characters and Edge.

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »

I never played the 360 version so this is my first time with the game. Using the Japanese voices and anime portraits and so far it seems ok to me. Nothing really annoying yet.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »

I wonder too if it's because the JRPG is getting older.

Nope.  Phantasy Star IV is still a great game even now.  Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with shitty games being shitty games.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: