Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 07:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338007 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 International coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2010  (Read 38219 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »

I wonder too if it's because the JRPG is getting older.

Nope.  Phantasy Star IV is still a great game even now.  Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with shitty games being shitty games.

There are also movies, music, and tv shows that are timeless regardless of age group.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2010, 02:02:39 AM »

I wonder too if it's because the JRPG is getting older.

More like the medium itself has grown to the point where you can fit more than a typical generic animu's worth of storytelling but developers haven't figured this out yet or are too lazy to bother with anything else.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »

So I'm nearing the end of WKC (at least I think I am lol) and was planning on picking up SO 4 next. Just so I'm clear the negativity regarding this port is from the perspective of those who own a 360 and or the original? Not necisarily a commentary on the quality of the game...right? I only own a ps3 and was excited about this port.

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »

SO4 is typical tri-ace...a fun battle system with plenty of post game content to do. If story is what you prefer in a game, don't get SO4, it's for the gameplay.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »

SO4 is typical tri-ace...a fun battle system with plenty of post game content to do. If story is what you prefer in a game, don't get SO4, it's for the gameplay.

WKC got the bad story rep and though I can see why some might not like it. I'm enjoying it so far. That is to say its a decen enough scenario to justify a really fun game.
My idea of a bad story was Blue Dragon.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »

If you don't have a problem with WKC then you probably will like SO4 too. I enjoyed SO4 and while WKC is a bit shallow it's still fun.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

So I'm nearing the end of WKC (at least I think I am lol) and was planning on picking up SO 4 next. Just so I'm clear the negativity regarding this port is from the perspective of those who own a 360 and or the original? Not necisarily a commentary on the quality of the game...right? I only own a ps3 and was excited about this port.

One of the biggest issues was the awful cutscenes, which you can hit youtube to judge for yourself. Being able to switch the VA to Japanese should numb the pain a bit at least, but it also makes constant cutscene skipping a viable choice by summarizing each scene you skip. Otherwise I haven't played the game, but the bad impressions put me off and I wasn't too happy that SE felt the need to change the portraits for the US.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »

Guys, help me out on this... wich one should i chooe first? WKC or star ocean 4? i can only aford one... and no, i cant wait for FF13 since a friend is coming from the US 27 february and this is the only chance i got -.-

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

I'm sure WKC's story material is likely less offensive to my sensibilities than SO4 would be, but SO4's been more positively rated and I honestly expect could be the better game. I'd say just wait for now, March will be crazy and for all we know Resonance of Fate could finally be tri-Ace's breakthrough "next-gen" title.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »

I'm holding out on White Knight Chronicles until a price drop but I can say that Star Ocean 4 is a blast to play.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »

Guys, help me out on this... wich one should i chooe first? WKC or star ocean 4? i can only aford one... and no, i cant wait for FF13 since a friend is coming from the US 27 february and this is the only chance i got -.-

The only thing I can say is that to my way of thinking WKC isn't as bad as many reviews make it out to be. One word that comes to mind over and over when I think of the game is Fun.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

Umm the only thing that makes me doubt to get WKC first is the challenge, ive read is too easy but is this really truth?, i know SO4 (if is like SO3) wont be that easy.

But if WKC is not as easy as i've read it is (i just saw some dudes saying that on a forum), ill get this one first, so this would be the key question now.

I'm sure WKC's story material is likely less offensive to my sensibilities than SO4 would be, but SO4's been more positively rated and I honestly expect could be the better game. I'd say just wait for now, March will be crazy and for all we know Resonance of Fate could finally be tri-Ace's breakthrough "next-gen" title.

The problem is that i cant wait T-T i dunno when will be my next chance to bring a game from the US, since i get to pay a reasonable price this way
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:19:37 PM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »

Beat WKC last night and started up Star Ocean 4. i have to say that I'm enjoying it immensely so far. The battle system is a ton of fun (btw this is my first star ocean so its new to me) and I enjoy the cooking/weapon creation system. 

--
Chris

-David Byrne
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »

To be honest, I'm surprised how much fun I'm having (using jap voices and engl menu, despite having a german option *does not trust german translations*) given the many complainy I've read about it before.

Yes, some characters had emotional issues that annoyed me a bit at one point, but given their ages, personality and things happening... It's realistic, I'd say. Annoyingly so, but one can get through it.
I only dislike Reimei for constantly hitting Edge because she sees some sexual indue in almost EVERYTHING whereas Edge doesn't even get it *rolls eyes*

Otherwise I'm only annoyed at the lack of pointers throughout the game. In SO3 I at least know where I had to go to progress in the plot, here I'm often kind of... lost.
And those strange labyrinths. I was alright with the first one, but now I'm in the purgatorium with a door I can't pass though and a statue and 4 fires I have to lit in the correct order without any indication WHAT the right order would be. Or maybe I just missed it ^^
Only figured out I got another maze before me and decided to call it a night.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »

And those strange labyrinths. I was alright with the first one, but now I'm in the purgatorium with a door I can't pass though and a statue and 4 fires I have to lit in the correct order without any indication WHAT the right order would be. Or maybe I just missed it ^^
Only figured out I got another maze before me and decided to call it a night.

I get flack from many for my use of guides/faqs. Its this thing I have where I ihate getting frustrated in just the sort of situation that you described. Thats not to say I sit there with the book telling me each and every thing...but knowing that if i get stuck I can turn to it. This gives me the confidence to try it out myself. Weird..but it works for me.
Though there is something to be said about a game that gives little to no clues as to the resolution of said puzzle...kinda lame.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: