Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334452 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sakura Wars English trailer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Sakura Wars English trailer  (Read 16169 times)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »

If it's anything like the past Sakura Wars games I've played on the Saturn/Dreamcast, then the mecha battles are a minimal part of the overall gameplay.  A more fitting description would be "like Super Robot Wars, but you actually get to date the girls yourself".  Plus, Sakura Wars doesn't have any of the customization the mechs on SRW has.  The effectiveness of the mechs on SW are pretty much all determined by how well you treat each of the girls during the text scenarios, which is very much the meat of the games.

It's been a while since I've played a Sakura Wars game, so I could be off.  Things could likely have changed in this game, but I seriously doubt that.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2009, 09:48:03 PM »

That doesn't sound like Valkyria Chronicles at all!

Guess I'll stick with my plan of importing Super Robot Taisen W and K then.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2009, 12:06:19 AM »

Its basically a visual novel with some SRPG game elements in it, but the focus is in evading hijinxs involving stalking swordswomen, loli elder gods, ice queens, one man armies, crazy technophiles with a tendency to blow something up and probing someone, and so on...

Milage may vary.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »

It's not like the Saturn one. Not sure about the Dreamcast one, but I do know some of the PS2 games from Takaharu Terada do have similar gameplay to the Valkyria games since Valkyria was the spiritual successor to this series without the visual novel part done by Red. Valkyria evolved the formula a lot though, mainly because this game was made way before Valkyria.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:11:17 AM by jj984jj » Logged
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »

These are the most useful remarks on this game I've seen, and I read a rather long preview in that official Nintendo magazing.  Although I tend to prefer more traditional SRPGs, I think I'll have to get this just to see what it's like.

Alfa System Forever
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »

Are there supposed to be any differences between the Wii and PS2 ports, apart from the $10 price difference?  I'm trying to figure out which to preorder.

Alfa System Forever
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »

From what I understand, Idea Factory's doing the port of the Wii version and their ports aren't always the greatest.  So if it were me, I'd go with the Playstation 2 version.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »

Thanks, I was wondering who was doing the ports!  Their PSP games are notorious for slowdown and loading screens.

Alfa System Forever
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

That had a lot to do with the PSP being the PSP. Specifically, if it was UMD-based. They'd build and test the game running from a memory stick and it'd be fine, then you put it on a UMD and suddenly it's a whole different experience. Hence, downloadable versions of the games are decent with load times.

The Wii version will feature different controls; there are a lot of minigames and quicktime events that require certain button pushes, and it'll be an entirely different experience on the Wii.

But if you have a PS2, I'd trust the PS2 version to be the "safer" bet.

professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »

Hmmm... Sounds like I need to download Spectral Souls, Generation of Chaos, and Aedis Eclipse.

Alfa System Forever
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

Hmmm... Sounds like I need to download Spectral Souls, Generation of Chaos, and Aedis Eclipse.

Did they release the first GoC download-style? I didn't check. I know that Aedis Eclipse is on there, and that's certainly worth it.

professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

Not sure.  I have the UMD for these, so I haven't checked.  I wouldn't mind having both the UMD and the download, as it's nice to have the manual and artwork.

Alfa System Forever
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »

Are there supposed to be any differences between the Wii and PS2 ports, apart from the $10 price difference?  I'm trying to figure out which to preorder.

The PS2 also includes a subbed version of the game as well as an artbook (or somesuch). On the other hand, the Wii version gets the shaft but for $10 less (especially given NISA's localization track record). I'd say get the PS2 version and if you don't like the dub then you can try to trade it back to Gamestop as the Wii version and hope they don't notice. Or trade it to your friend for hopefully a better game then move away or something so that they can't trade it back.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: