Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:50:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330093 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square Enix
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Square Enix  (Read 18332 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »

I believe his own mother did that to herself without him wanting her to do it, not unless he changed how she looked as an Aeon or something. Anyway, that turns it more into a mommy issue than being THAT wicked.

You're probably right about that. Which also means that all that Seymour could accomplish was to suck hard and die, and then die again after returning from the dead to suck some more.

Welp I tried. There really isn't a defense for a character that is made of pure fail and lose.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 10:12:44 AM »

I thought Nomura's designs and style worked just fine in The World Ends With You.  Otherwise, his obsession with belts and zippers is a bit much... and that's being kind.   

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »

Belts and zippers are the least of Nomura's problems. His utter inability to draw motion, give his characters realistic weight, or break with consistently plastic shading are more critical flaws in his work.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

Seymour is a catastrophe in visual design, a disgrace in overarching plot portrayal... but ya know what? I actually kinda like his dilivery. It's creepy and disturbing, and I, for one, think that it works. It makes him utterly and totally dislikable, which is sometimes a welcome trait for a villain in a sea of "look at me, I'm an evil badass" Sephiroth clones. Unfortunately, everything else about him is made of fail, even his actual dialogue. But I just happened to like the interesting choice of voice acting.

Yaag looks like a very interesting character, however. He looks like an evil muscleman, but from what I've seen, he has a bit of compassion.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »

I agree with you actually - Seymour's voice is perfect for him.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »

Besides, half the cast undead in FFX. Death in that game was more of a mild inconvenience than anything else.

I will admit turning his own mother into that is pretty hardcore. Too bad that its his only real villainous act aside from patriciding his own father for political gain which again isn't exactly worth a hell of a lot in Spira.

Actually, though
Code:
Auron was able to remain unsent but I don't believe just anyone could do that. Wasn't Jyscal, Seymour's dad, all effed up when he could appear? And the rest of the time I assume he was in limbo. The game also talks about most of those who remain unsent becoming fiends. So dying does suck in FFX unless you're Auron.

I'm not a huge Seymour fan but I think he mainly just needed a better character design. 

Same here. It was creepy.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 11:58:39 PM »

Good thing Nomura didn't design Kuja because Kuja looked like he wore a bikini all throughout.

Then again... He did remake Kuja in the Dissidia version.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2009, 01:33:27 AM »

Besides, half the cast undead in FFX. Death in that game was more of a mild inconvenience than anything else.

I will admit turning his own mother into that is pretty hardcore. Too bad that its his only real villainous act aside from patriciding his own father for political gain which again isn't exactly worth a hell of a lot in Spira.

Actually, though
Code:
Auron was able to remain unsent but I don't believe just anyone could do that. Wasn't Jyscal, Seymour's dad, all effed up when he could appear? And the rest of the time I assume he was in limbo. The game also talks about most of those who remain unsent becoming fiends. So dying does suck in FFX unless you're Auron.

I'm not a huge Seymour fan but I think he mainly just needed a better character design. 

Same here. It was creepy.

There was also the head of Yevon guy who near the end realizes that the jig is up and fades away. If nothing else, the fact that he was able to linger around too suggests that there's some trick to cheating death for a while that the higher ups get to know about.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »

don't get the nomura hate i'll take his designs over amano's any day.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »

Nomura puts fucking zippers on horse armor, and generally looks kinda generic. At least Amano's style is fairly unique.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

That's because you have no fucking taste.

Amano is actually a damned good painter. Not all his renderings are necessarily pleasing, but in terms of both technical skill and aesthetic handling, Amano runs circles around Nomura and pisses on his face.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »

"All of Nomura's character designs look the same"

"All of Amano's character designs look like heroin addicts." 

That pretty much sums up the griping I've heard about it over all the years.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »

It's a good thing Versus XIII has probably less belts and zippers now since all the clothes are done by Roen.

Although I checked Roen, a lot of their clothes are... gothic and black?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2009, 03:41:09 AM »

Amano is actually a damned good painter. Not all his renderings are necessarily pleasing, but in terms of both technical skill and aesthetic handling, Amano runs circles around Nomura and pisses on his face.

Gotta agree. Amano's concept art isn't SUPPOSED to look like the final renderings, it never was. It's sort of like the line-art style graphics you see for the MGS games... it's a stylized starting point that is used for a lot of box art but isn't actually in the game. And for what it's worth, it's some of the more unique artwork you see in game design. He's probably also part of the process of turning those concept pieces into usable character models, and for the most part, he does a decent job. I think Nomura started out strong (FF8), but he grew a big head and decided to make the character models stand out so much that they're outrageous. Nomura doesn't give off the vibe of being a team player, he wants everyone too notice HIS work in the game, and not simply make designs that synergize with the rest of the game's style. Amano gets out his "Look at me, I'm an artist" fun beforehand, but allows his work to be melded into the rest of the game's style when it comes down to business. Maybe if Amano did more stylized concept art, he wouldn't be tempted to make his in-game character work look so outrageous.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

I would venture to say that Amano is an actual artist, whereas Nomura is just some guy who can draw pretty okay. Nomura's portfolio is horribly limited, and all of his work screams of boundaries he's unable to overcome. Amano's is quite the opposite, because he's able to do everything from particularly realistic to extremely bizarre and outrageous. Look at anything outside of his Final Fantasy work and it's rather incredible. It's no wonder he's a bit of a national treasure to Japan.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: