Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332727 Posts in 13632 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square Enix
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Square Enix  (Read 18368 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »

Sad because The World Ends With You is a solid game

And yet according to S-E, it was a critical failure and one of the reasons they are avoiding taking risks anymore, despite the fact that it sold out everywhere almost as soon as it hit market.

Which brings us to another of S-E's weird "can't succeed" practices, where they under-print niche games and then complain when they don't sell millions of copies, despite the fact that they never actually PRINTED the amount of copies they would need to sell to consider the game a "success".  Luckily they don't really pull this too often, but it's really annoying when they do.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »

Same could be said for Fox pulling shows after a few episodes despite critcal acclaim.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

Bringing up the price thing again, I recall them being dissatisfied with the numbers Chrono Trigger pulled, but I have to wonder how much better they would've been if it debuted at $30. For a port it's received premium treatment, lacking any technical flaws in porting as far as I can tell while retaining both the PS1 videos and adding even more to the game, yet at $40 it can be hard to swallow. $30 might've been fine, it's the same price as several new DS games and could've left a better impression on people.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

In a way i can see why many would buy CT for the DS, besides nostalgia. Many don't want the load times of the psx port, that and the fact that the snes cartridge still sells quite high on the internet.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »

In a way i can see why many would buy CT for the DS, besides nostalgia.

It's cheap now at a lot of places, if you have a DS, want to play it, and don't have the SNES version already you'd be an idiot to not buy it.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »

Last gen it was basically FF10/12, Kingdom Hearts and Tales games - with SO3 thrown in as an extra.

*cough* ...

how are we on page two of this thread and no one's pointed out this glaring error, even after two different posters used this quote to make a point? I'm glad someone knocked you for mentioning Lost Odyssey, but where was the fact-checking here?!

Tales ain't Square or Enix, sweetheart. It's Namco Bandai, the OTHER merger of RPG mammoths (though less known for RPGs than other genres of gaming).

Hating on Square has been the hip thing to do since FF7.

This is what I wanted to say when the thread was created. Now Neal has said it for me, and I rest my case.

Fact: if the SaGa 2 remake comes to America, I will buy it. Twice.

Fact: FFVI DS remake? You KNOW I'll buy that.

Other fact: love 'em or hate 'em, the production value in most S-E titles is unrivaled.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »

CT is also short as hell and very easy. Don't get me wrong. I think a lot of RPGs are way too long*, but 40 dollars for an essentially rather linear 20 hour game that doesn't really offer a lot of new ideas** by today's standards is a bit much.

Also I really wouldn't call Square-Enix a design-first company in the same way that, like, Paradox or pre-ionstorm-clusterfuck-id used to be**.

* Sort of. It's actually sort of a bell curve. Anything in the 40-70 hour range tends to be too long. Anything in the 20-35 or 75-100 hour range tends to be an appropriate length. There's various reasons why I think this. I will not be explaining them. FRAMT.

** I don't really think good design principles are bound by genre. Additionally I could've said pre-EA Maxis, except SC4 was post-EA and I love that, and also, thinking about pre-EA Maxis is depressing. EA raped my childhood more than furries ever could :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:26:07 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

Last gen it was basically FF10/12, Kingdom Hearts and Tales games - with SO3 thrown in as an extra.

*cough* ...

how are we on page two of this thread and no one's pointed out this glaring error, even after two different posters used this quote to make a point? I'm glad someone knocked you for mentioning Lost Odyssey, but where was the fact-checking here?!

Tales ain't Square or Enix, sweetheart. It's Namco Bandai, the OTHER merger of RPG mammoths (though less known for RPGs than other genres of gaming).

Hating on Square has been the hip thing to do since FF7.

This is what I wanted to say when the thread was created. Now Neal has said it for me, and I rest my case.

Fact: if the SaGa 2 remake comes to America, I will buy it. Twice.

Fact: FFVI DS remake? You KNOW I'll buy that.

Other fact: love 'em or hate 'em, the production value in most S-E titles is unrivaled.

I figured he listed them as "pretty much the only big-name RPG's for the system" which really isn't true either, but whatever.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

EA has been very good recently. Mirror's Edge and Dead Space were both risks they took and both were good (although Dead Space is the better of the two). I have nothing against EA right now. I hate Activision though. They can take Guitar Hero and shove it.
Just to build off of that, the old EA would have shipped Star Wars: TOR and Mass Effect 2 already with Mass Effect 3 due out next year.  They seem to have made a switch in their concern for product quality, and I'm OK with that.  That even applies to their sports franchises; Fight Night Round 4 is a high quality game that was rewritten from scratch, and it shows.

I used to refuse to buy EA products, but their change of attitude with quality control made me change my stance entirely.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »

Why are people praising Mirror's Edge? Sure, the game might look good, but having a plataformer in first person view is a bad idea in every possible way.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »

In this day and age you can't take any risks. At all. Either the proffit is guaranteed or the project is thrown out of the window.

Actually that mentality can be pretty harmful to companies in the long run. Just look at the state most of Activision's franchises are in: Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero are both in decline, and frankly I suspect that Call of Duty won't be too far behind.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »

Why are people praising Mirror's Edge? Sure, the game might look good, but having a plataformer in first person view is a bad idea in every possible way.

It was a unique game. Isn't that what this thread is trying to get at? Sure it wasn't *entirely* successful, but it was a decent game. A sequel with improvements would be very welcome.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »

ME is a good game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

It was a unique game. Isn't that what this thread is trying to get at? Sure it wasn't *entirely* successful, but it was a decent game. A sequel with improvements would be very welcome.

Being a unique game and being a good game not always go together.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »

though the price gouging on DS games for what you get has gotten very tired, and unfortunately I think they're taking it as "DS games = failure" in America since there's a bunch they could be localizing or announcing for localization, but all we have coming out this fall is Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, their whole DS price structure felt like a system designed to fail.  They don't really provide games of any better qualtiy, but charge more for their games then anyone else.  You have to be really ballsy to charge more for a game then Nintendo does, and they're feeling the bite back from consumers.  And then to turn around and basically blame us for it is just insulting.

Well, from what I was told by a friend who likes to..."crack" things is that there are different amounts of storage a cart can hold and the SE games generally require the highest storage capacity cart.  I've never heard this before and to be quite frank, he often spouts BS so this could be another pile of crap.

Anyways.  To what CDFN said, I agree.  It seems the cost of development is higher these days which equates to less risks taken.  Again, I could be wrong but that's something I've heard time and time again from developers.  I haven't been too thrilled with any jrpg release as of late, so singling out SE isn't fair.

EA has been very good recently. Mirror's Edge and Dead Space were both risks they took and both were good (although Dead Space is the better of the two). I have nothing against EA right now. I hate Activision though. They can take Guitar Hero and shove it.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: