Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 02:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331908 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Do you think a Seiken Densetsu 3 port would be viable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Do you think a Seiken Densetsu 3 port would be viable?  (Read 7574 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »

I reserve the right to claim that I'm from the generation that refers to games that allowed 2 players as a 2Player game or 2P. Multiplayer involves more than 2 players.

2-player is a subset of multiplayer.

In any case, I didn't know that SD3 cut the ability to have three players. Is there anywhere I can go to read and confirm this, since I presently have no ability to test it firsthand?

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »

I'd so pick up Seiken Densetsu 3 on a DS port.  Hell, I'd pick up a port of the second game.  Playing Secret of Mana was among my dearest memories of the SNES era, wreaking havoc through the game with my brother.

Technical issues be damned!  We kicked ass, took names, and had a shitload of fun doing it.  That's what gaming's all about!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »

As much fan acclaim as there is for SD2 and 3, why hasn't Square made a SD that mirrored those games, if not re-released SD3?

SD3 on VC would probably be the best way to go, since it'd be cheaper to distribute, whether it's offered via Wii VC, PSN, or XBox Live.

Besides, SD2 is already on Wii VC.

That, and can't you take PSN downloads, and save them to your PSP? They ought to figure out how to do that with the NDS and Wii VC...

I wish I could get ALL my favorite classic SNES RPGs via VC, but all they seem to have right now are SD2 and Mario RPG. If they offered CT...

Legend of Mana, I liked, especially being an action RPG, and once you got used to the different attack systems, you could REALLY deal out some wicked moves, but nothing changes the fact it was just really damn easy; plus, battles popping up in the same exact place everytime you passed it, and not being able to run from battle, meant that you level-built like crazy in the game, whether you wanted to, or not.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »

Problem is, for all the amount of work you have to put into localizing SD3 (holy buttload of text), you're gonna need a pretty large marketting campaign to back it up. Unfortunately, as cheap as VC games are to distribute, marketting for DC is still in its infency. Especially Virtual Console titles, which will fly up next to 5 others on the same day, and go off the radar in 2 weeks. Being able to actually release hard media (DS or PSP) makes quite a bit more sense in this case. That will likely change in the near future though.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »

Problem is, for all the amount of work you have to put into localizing SD3 (holy buttload of text), you're gonna need a pretty large marketting campaign to back it up. Unfortunately, as cheap as VC games are to distribute, marketting for DC is still in its infency. Especially Virtual Console titles, which will fly up next to 5 others on the same day, and go off the radar in 2 weeks. Being able to actually release hard media (DS or PSP) makes quite a bit more sense in this case. That will likely change in the near future though.
Well, shit, people still read printed game magazines and game reviews online...that's where I get most of my information, anyway; otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't be able to keep track of releases, and probably wouldn't notice it going up on VC, either.

I mean, Mega Man 9 was pretty critically acclaimed, and that was just VC/DC, whatever you want to call it...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:38:52 PM by Bernhardt » Logged
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »

CT probably won't appear on VC due to the DS port. It's 19.99 now but it's still like 10-12$ more than a VC game will cost.

If SD3 goes to VC, we are again screwed because it will never be localized like that. Not when there's so little potential profit. The best possibility is being able to "import" it through something like the Hannabi Festival event.

The only way we'll see the game is really a DS port.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »

I mean, Mega Man 9 was pretty critically acclaimed, and that was just VC/DC, whatever you want to call it...

MM9 had a bunch of things going for it though.

MegaMan was probably one of the top 5 series in the 80s and early 90s. It had millions of players world wide with a few dozen installments. Even when MM9 was being made, there were critically acclaimed spinoffs being produced.

Secondly, MM9 was quite simple to produce, with a budget of probably less than $50,000 in development costs (maybe that's low, but it was relatively small). Even if it tanked, they would probably make a profit, and if it didnít, big deal.

With Seiken Densetsu 3, you have hundreds of pages worth of dialog to translate and get working, which is no small feat. Maybe not 50-grand, but at least 15-grand. But youíre counting on a fan base thatís a couple orders of magnitude smaller than MegaMan. You have one major American release, Secret of Mana, which did okay for a jRPG in America, 15 years ago. And then you have a bunch of panned and failed spinoffs that barely even hit the radar.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is an incredibly niche title. And a large percentage of the people who know about it have already played it on emulators, so you have to wonder how many of them will REALLY fork over the money to play it again (yes, I know many of you will raise your hands now, but weíre extremely niche here).

Could it make a feasible DS installment instead of one of their doomed to fail prior spinoffs? Yes, I think so. It already has a very highly proven track record, and could print money if marketed correctly, to a new audience instead of developing a new game that will likely suck. Would it make for a good VC title? Probably not.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

SD3's not particularly text heavy. Especially in the second half where the storyline goes away.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »

Or it could be localized like Pyuo Pyuo 2 was on the VC (and by which I mean it wasn't).

What a waste of five goddamn bucks! :(

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »

Puyo Puyo's fukken tetris man you don't need no gozzamn words.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »

Nor did I need to blow five bucks on a game I already own in the form of Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »

Nor did I need to blow five bucks on a game I already own in the form of Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine.

Except Mean Bean Machine's learning curve is fucking broken, dude. And its entire aesthetic kinda sucks.

Puyopuyo 2 is a far better game.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »

Columns 4 life.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »

Except Mean Bean Machine's learning curve is fucking broken, dude. And its entire aesthetic kinda sucks.

Puyopuyo 2 is a far better game.

Aesthetics just are not different enough to say one is better than the other (especially since I can't read moonspeak), and I have a feeling that there are other Puyopuyo like games out there with better learning curves than either.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »

I'd so pick up Seiken Densetsu 3 on a DS port.  Hell, I'd pick up a port of the second game.  Playing Secret of Mana was among my dearest memories of the SNES era, wreaking havoc through the game with my brother.

Technical issues be damned!  We kicked ass, took names, and had a shitload of fun doing it.  That's what gaming's all about!

Agreed.  RPGs tend to be more about a single player experience but that series isn't -- and I love it.  Sure, the gameplay wasn't revolutionary, but hacking and slashing our way through the world together was great fun.  I miss things like that (and probably the reason I still keep my SNES around).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: