Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341091 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn's Light Released!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dawn's Light Released!  (Read 3494 times)
johnwizard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »

John Wizard Games is proud to announce the release of our debut rpg, Dawn's Light.
The game has been out for a couple days and has had a great reception thus far.

After losing everyone he ever loved, Harvey is driven to revenge... but will his hatred cause him to become no different than the ones he is trying to stop?

Features

- Unique journal system with 100 quests to track!
 - Tons of side quests to keep you busy and complete your quest journal
 - Mind bending puzzles to keep it interesting
 - Multiple outfits for each character!
 - Epic storyline spanning over 25 islands across 5 different continents
 - 10 unique dungeon environments each with their own unique puzzles
 ~ 25 hours play time

More on the game:

When we started making the game we had a few goals that we were aiming for. We didn't want the game to be repetitive so you'll never be doing the same thing for too long. There's not a lot of enemy grinding because we don't enjoy that, instead you'll encounter all sorts of puzzles and obstacles, and the pacing never slows down.

There's a lot of quests in the game so we created a comprehensive quest journal with a list of your current quests, side quest status and complete statistics of your progress. The sidequests are varied and plentiful. From hunting down tricksters disguised as sheep to delivering coffee to a slime, the quests can involve just about anything, and they often do.

We've been getting great comments from players so far. A lot of people are complimenting the dialogue, puzzles and the music.

Hope you like it!

You can download the game from our website http://johnwizard.com/

You can also check out our youtube trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGp8VSDSz4&feature=player_embedded

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »

My initial impressions of this game are very positive so far.  I love the music, the dialogue is really well-written, and I couldn't stop grinning during the
Code:
mine cart chase scene.  It was like something out of Scooby Doo.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:12:03 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »

Congrats for the release, great debut RPG! :)

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »

Wow, this game is actually fun to play.  You nailed the pacing, and the way that the story doesn't take itself too seriously is hilarious.  The puzzles are fun and simple (I like solving puzzles but most of the time they are too hard and break the pace for me, like in 'The Beyond') and the music is indeed awesome.

I will always complain about the $20 price tag though.  Quintessence does all of this (even with a vocal track) for free, and it has an epic, mature storyline.  With regard to the commercial RPGMaker games I've seen, this is probably my favorite due to its charm and playability.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »

Don't forget about the dialogue.  The dialogue in this one is really good.  So far, Dawn's Light is running a close 2nd to Eternal Eden in my book, mainly because of the pacing, dialogue, and music.  And about Quintessence, from what I understand Reives and the folks at Freebird Games are working on their first commercial release. 

RyanHayward

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »

Easily my favourite indie rpg to date!
I don't think the price is unreasonable, given the quality. Hell, many full priced games
don't compare.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »

Don't forget about the dialogue.  The dialogue in this one is really good.  So far, Dawn's Light is running a close 2nd to Eternal Eden in my book, mainly because of the pacing, dialogue, and music.  And about Quintessence, from what I understand Reives and the folks at Freebird Games are working on their first commercial release. 

So finally someone will dethrone Eternal Eden? :(

It means that I have a lot of work to do with Eternal Eden 2 hahaha :D
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »

Oh you'll see when my review goes up.  Right now I'm just doing some side activities before I enter the final boss's lair, so I'm hoping to be done with it this week. 

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

Iím currently trying Dawnís Light and the atmosphere is great, the game is entertaining.

The nicest thing about it is that Daniel initially contacted me saying that Eternal Eden was a model of inspiration for him to create a game, and of course I was very glad to hear this :) He even offered me a free copy, I feel so privileged  :D

It seems that many features in Eternal Eden created new standards in the indie industry. Examples:

ē   Enemies not reappearing after being killed. (itís used in Aveyond 3 now too.)
ē   Treasure rooms inside each dungeon.
ē   Certain types od puzzles.

My only fear though is that Eternal Eden as a franchise will no more be unique, but itís not uncommon, it means that I will need to push things further with my future creations.

Congratulation Daniel for your release. Even if there are 3 more games using crude RMVX's assets, I think your game will sell better :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:35:25 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »

Well I just finished Dawn's Light today.  This game was definitely one of the better RPGM creations I've played.  

It seems that many features in Eternal Eden created new standards in the indie industry. Examples:

ē   Enemies not reappearing after being killed. (itís used in Aveyond 3 now too.)

This, I feel, was the most trendsetting aspect and one I hope to see more of.  Prior to EE, I was only informed of something similar in Panzer Dragoon Saga where it was possible to make species of creatures extinct because you killed them all in random encounters (which were few, but all counted.)  I want to see this in more mainstream titles.  

With RPGs in general (be they mainstream, indie, whatever), I'm okay with traditional turn-based play mechanics, but where I want to see more risks taken is in storytelling, writing, characters.  I feel that a lot of RPGs, particularly mainstream ones, tend to play it safe in terms of storylines and storytelling, though some like Megami Tensei are not afraid to take some risks and  "go there" like with P4 exploring a character coming to terms with his own sexual confusion.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:14:06 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »

Storytelling is by far what I cherish the most in my games.

As for random encounters, I love them (I'm a core old skool gamer lol all bow to me, mere mortals XD), but in my games I've learnt to develop new systems around this simple base so to enhance the experience.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

Indy- that's one thing I like about Laxius.  Like in the Laxius Power games, you weren't afraid to have characters' relationships go beyond "innocent grade school crushes" and actually be sexual. 

With random encounters, as long as the rate isn't too high and that I can take down the boss if I don't run from every battle I won't complain too much.  I still thought Black Sigil's encounter rate was way too high especially since battles could sometimes take time and save points were scarce.  Heh, and then there are games like Lufia: Ruins of Lore for the Game Boy Advance where the "see enemies beforehand" was done so poorly that I wished that game had random encounters at an "old school" rate. 

Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

Black Sigil, imo, did not realise we were in 2009, not 1990.
In 3 Stars I'd made 16 steps between encounters and people were STILL complaining they get caught every 2-3 steps (which is impossible in the light of the aforementionned statement).
So imagine a game which uses the encounter rate of 1990-ish RPGs......

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:05 AM »

As far as the Eternal Eden series is concerned the storyline isn't going to explore 'controversialí subjects because itís aiming the family and casual gamers, but you can be sure that Western Lords (upcoming title) has some nasty and interesting twists.

I hope I can work on Western Lords soon. The reason I am not making Western Lords my next development is that I need to build my own game engine. Sadly RPG Maker is much too much limited to waste my best creations on it. With my own engine it will be possible to venture in new areas and take more liberties and risks, and also it will allow to release my RPGs on multiple platforms.

Eternal Eden is only a warm-up until real things starts for Blossomsoft :)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »

The reason I am not making Western Lords my next development is that I need to build my own game engine. Sadly RPG Maker is much too much limited to waste my best creations on it. With my own engine it will be possible to venture in new areas and take more liberties and risks, and also it will allow to release my RPGs on multiple platforms.

Eternal Eden is only a warm-up until real things starts for Blossomsoft :)

*wipes away a tear*  You've made me the happiest man in the world.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: