Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Yakuza 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Yakuza 4  (Read 12010 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »

Finally caught a giant crab for Haruka!
Just tried out golf. It was another one of those "fuck me this is a game inside a game" moments. I've never seen a game where so much attention went into the min-games and there are dozens of them.

That's what I heard too, which is pretty awesome.

Haven't played it yet, but how many buildings can you actually go in?  There seems to be a ton of stores/places to go in reviews I've seen, but no one really said much about that.  Is it like GTA4 where you can enter a building like every other block or are most of the stores you see enter able?

I wouldn't say you can enter most but there are a lot. Some of the buildings you can enter are character specific.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »

So finished this game last week and only covered about %20. I've started on Yakuza 3 and it's an amazing game. I don't think these games where marketed properly for the western audience, I remember yakuza 3 being released last year and thinking Just another macho small man syndrome game. I'd call it an action rpg, very deep and easy to sidetrack off the main story. Some of the speech bubbles are just hilarious, the wtf statements after beating your foes are good for a laugh. In Yakuza 3, you don't have the roof tops or underground malls in Kamurocho, this is made up with Okinawa imho. The revelations are just as hilarious as they are in Yakuza 4, maybe a bit easier. Great stuff, both deserve a review here
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »

Playing through Yakuza 4 now and I like it even better than 3. Both are fantastic.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 05:02:35 AM »

Honestly, it's a shame that this site ignored this franchise.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »

Playing through Yakuza 4 now and I like it even better than 3. Both are fantastic.

Check out Yakuza 2 as well. It has Kansai and Shinseicho areas in addition to Kamurocho. Very cool game and a huuuge improvement over the first one.

For those who don`t mind playing with a walkthrough I`d also recommend Ryu ga Gotoku: Kenzan. I find it to be the overall best game in the series. The story is mostly excellent save for a certain 'facepalm' plot twist/revelation which was also replicated in Ryu ga Gotoku 3 to some extent, and it has way more in the way of voiced dialogue than Ryu ga Gotoku 1-4 combined with practically all of the story cutscenes and dialogue being voiced. The biggest difference from other RgG games is obviously the setting. Kenzan is set in Edo period Japan, so most of the combat is going to be sword-based(although using your fists and fighting with random objects is still an option) except for the Gion area where carrying swords is forbidden. There are three types of weapons you can have equipped at all times - normal swords, double swords and large swords/clubs. You can change them on the fly with a D-pad. Weapons can be upgraded and/or transformed at the blacksmith`s.

Unlike the mainline Ryu ga Gotoku games in Kenzan you can no longer allocate your experience points to the skill/ability that you want to upgrade nor can you unlock new moves with it. The level progression is absolutely linear - gaining EXP automatically increases your level which in its turn boosts your overall stats; the highest level is Lv50, I think. You learn all of the skills/moves from training dojos(of which there are way more than in any other Ryu ga Gotoku game), mini-games and revelations. The locations are interconnected Zelda/Okami-style and you can freely travel between them on foot without resorting to other means of transportation(although there is one). Visually Kenzan is head and shoulders above similarly themed games like Way of the Samurai 3-4. Graphics whores will still complain though(I mean, I saw Yakuza 3 and 4 being slandered for "PS2 graphics").

Trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq9x9yn-y2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgCwqSJ7b48
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:55 PM »

Finished Yakuza 3, man that's an intense game. Story does get a little cheesy, but still allot of wtf moments. I can't believe i didn't work out the trust building with Haruka until chapter 12. Think i'll buy the Japanese versions and re-visit in a few months time. Great stuff and reason to own a ps3 imho
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »

There is an Akagi poster in the Mahjong parlor.  I wonder who had to pay who, for that to happen.

Sorry for the resurrection, but I have gaming A.D.D and am currently back on Yakuza 4.  Saejima's chapter was awesome, and I want more.  I know this will all tie together somehow, though.

As an aside, Sega is a pretty big publisher now.  I just finished Vanquish, and was going to play Bayonetta, but I saw Yakuza 4 and had to play it.  All Sega games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

Toshihiro Nagoshi forms Ryu ga Gotoku Studio within Sega. Ryu ga Gotoku 5 is in development right now. Also, Kurohyou 2 Ryu ga Gotoku for the PSP.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/31/yakuza_developments/
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »

....my peen...

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »

They don't mention the platform but I assume Y5 will be on PS3.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

They don't mention the platform but I assume Y5 will be on PS3.

Most likely yes. From Eurogamer`s interview with Nagoshi at Gamescom last week:
Having started in 2005 on PlayStation 2, the games - headed up by SEGA's Toshihiro Nagoshi - have stayed on Sony hardware, with recent iterations releasing on the PS3.

That's likely to stay the case, Nagoshi recently told Eurogamer.

"At the beginning of the project we spoke to all the platform holders including Sony and Microsoft," he said, "Every platform holder was negative about this prospect, but we kept on pushing because we believed in the potential, and as we kept going one platform holder that showed interest and saw the prospects of this title was Sony."

"That's how we started working with them, and that's probably not going to change."

Also, a little hint from Nagoshi about what we can expect from future RgG/Yakuza games(from the same interview):
Nagoshi, who's currently working on futuristic third person shooter Binary Domain, was reluctant to say whether the series would return, but said that Yakuza: Of the End, the spin-off game recently released in Japan, was the last of that style of Yakuza.

"The basic style and mechanics is really an old game that started on PS2 and continued on PS3," Nagoshi said, "Times keep changing, and if we started on some new games they would be in a very different shape - so the last game was the end of one particular era."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-yakuza-unlikely-on-xbox-360

Anyway, Yakuza: Of The End doesn`t have a separate thread, so I think I`ll post my impressions on it here.

I`m 62 hours into the game right now. I blasted through it in 16 hours on my first playthrough for the story and now I`m playing to 100% it(I`m at 86% so far).

The game starts with Kazuma getting a phone call from Tetsuo Nikaido, the game`s villain. He informs him that Haruka`s`s been kidnapped, yet again. Some time before that, Akiyama is taking a stroll through Kamurocho and gets involved in an incident that would start off a zombie apocalypse. After the incident Akiyama goes back to Sky Finance together with Hana-chan, takes a nap and when he wakes up, it`s the beginning of the end for Kamurocho - zombies are swarming the streets, destruction is everywhere and the area is cut off from the rest of Kamurocho by giant iron barricades erected by the military. At first only a small part of Kamurocho is affected, but as the story progresses, more and more Kamurocho ground falls to the zombies and the military erects even more barricades in a futile attempt to contain the outbreak. By the end of the game only a quarter of Kamurocho remains unaffected. Outside of the quarantine zone life goes on as usual, and even on the inside all the hostess clubs, restaurants and pachinko parlors continue to function like nothing happened, although they did put up iron shutters in case a zombie or two would try to break in.

Just like Yakuza 4 Of The End features four playable characters - the moneylender from Yakuza 4 Akiyama Shun, Majima Goro, the series` main Kiryu Kazuma and Goda Ryuji, the Dragon of Kansai and former member of Omi Clan who has retired from criminal business(having somehow survived an explosion on top of Kamurocho Hills in Yakuza 2) and now co-owns a takoyaki stand in Kansai. The characters share the inventory, skills and experience points, so the game doesn`t feel as disjointed as Yakuza 4 where nothing transferred from character to character until the very end of the game(and even then it only concerned the inventory). Each character has a unique weapon that only he can use - dual pistols for Akiyama, an automatic shotgun for Majima, a monster rifle for Kazuma and a Gatling gun for Ryuji. On top of that the game offers a selection of weapons that can be used by everyone.

Gameplay-wise Of The End is a third-person shooter which plays kinda like a mixture of Parasite Eve 2 and Resident Evil 4. R1 is used for auto-aiming, R2 is for RE4-style manual aiming, square button is for shooting, cross button for dashing and rolling, circle button for kicking and picking up objects and triangle for Heat Snipes(a new gameplay mechanic that replaces Heat Actions from previous RgG games). The main problem comes from the number of enemies the game tries to throw at you at once. Not only are all the zombies and mutants relentless in chasing you down(unlike, say, RE4 where Ganados would run up to you and then suddenly stop as if waiting for a headshot) to the point where it can become really annoying(they knock you down easily and when you get up there aren`t enough invincibility frames, so you often get knocked down again), it doesn`t help that the camera often refuses to point where you want it to. Not to mention that the framerate really hits the floor when there is a large number of zombies and explosions on screen at once. I feel the game would have been better if didn`t throw so many enemies at you at once. It would`ve eliminated both the camera and framerate problems. But as flawed as the gameplay is, there`s still something something compelling about it(as long as you learn how to deal with camera and auto-aiming) and landing headshots and Heat Snipes never becomes boring.

As part of the series` tradition Of The End provides the player with tons of side activities. Character specific sub-stories from Y4 are back -  there are 60 in total, 15 per character. Golf, billiard, bowling, darts, table tennis, fishing, Pachinko, Shogi, Mahjong, Boxcelios and the card games are all here as well. There are 7 new hostesses to romance. Making No.1 Cabaret Girl and Training a Fighter are out, so is Battle Coliseum(for obvious reasons). In is Kamurocho Underground, a randomly generated underground maze beneath Kamurocho - some guy by the name of Kine gives you missions to go explore the underground(there`s some story involved with it which I don`t know), two missions per character. Cumulatively, you have to go through 120 floors all full of zombies and mutants to beat it(I liked it at first, but having cleared Akiyama`s, Majima`s and Ryuji`s missions I`m already sick of it as fuck, and there are still Kiryu`s missions, sigh). Also, early in the game you meet a female scientist called Hasegawa which gives you orders like "kill 100 enemies of this type", "kill 200 enemies with this weapon" etc. These missions effectively act as in-game achievements except fulfilling them nets you special points which you can spend to buy crafting recipes, materials and other stuff from Hasegawa.

Overall, I`ve got to say that I`m really liking this game. Compared to Yakuza 4 which I thought brought very little new to the table(although it was still extremely awesome), Of The End feels like a welcome change of pace. Perhaps, it`s a "change" that would`ve benefited from at least another year in development, but it`s still great as is. Hopefully, the folks in charge of Sega`s US and EU divisions find it in them to localize this game(why the hell is Binary Domain, another game by Nagoshi, scheduled for localization and this isn`t?). The main story seems interesting and some of the sub stories seem genuinely funny; too bad I don`t know a lick of Japanese.((

Yeah, it took a little too long. Sorry for the wall of text and my English.

In case somebody hasn`t heard of this game, here`s a couple of trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqkbyl3vRU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0eP3O9Zno

...and a video of Karaoke Majima:  )))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6mhBUVzCYI
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:31:16 PM by Jonathan Ingram » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »

and here's the TGS trailer of Yakuza 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RZE4Rawb8
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »

Doesn't Yakuza 5 deserve a Yakuza 5 thread?

Or should this thread get turned into a Yakuza general discussion thread?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »

I think we ought to have a Yakuza 5 thread.  I actually thought about making one earlier but was like, meh.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »

I thought about it... but the thing comes out in a while and it might only be localized far into 2013 =/
So I figured the thread would die way before we'd post into it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: