Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340923 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users  (Read 28566 times)
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 06:50:39 AM »

I've been reading up on the differences between the 2 console versions: the Xbox 360 version has additional voice acting, 4 more CG, variations on some CG (different, not necessarily better), a gallery mode, and additional downloadable content (probably costs money): extra dungeon, extra items.  Rumor has it the Japanese 360 version also introduced bugs that were never addressed (which I'd assume Aksys would fix).  Overall, very minor improvements.

Well aksys will make the ps3 version have that as well :D, though, ive heard there are also new characters?, i cant find where i read this -.-, 1 day and google already have aksys announcements all over, and i cant find the webpage that i saw before

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »

It's either this or Castle Crashers.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »

I rented out the game for a test-week, wanting to know what this game was about before investing money into it.

Despite me usually staying away from strategy-styled rpgs because the battles are way too long for me to enjoy them, this one actually fascinated me. Well, basically in battle-stlye it's like a round-based rpg, you just have to move your characters into position on the 'chess board' => battle area.

The story so far is interesting and I've now reached the second generation, just shortly before I had to return it. I already ordered the game and it will probably arrive in the next few days. Thought I have reached the point I reach in most RPGs - the battles that are not boss-battles annoy me - I'm still enjoying it. I just miss the option to 'flee' if I feel I messed up or am to weak for this battle yet.
I guess that's why you can save after each and every battle - which quite surprised me to be honest.

The only thing I'm really having difficoulties with is collecting the material for advanced weapons/armor/accessoirs/items, but I guess that is because I want to see how the story is moving along.

It's also kind of funny how I have no troubles choosing  a wife. In the first generation I instantly liked the girl I'd make my character marry later, was okay with another and instantly dismissed the third.
In the second generation I don't think I've met all 3 possible wives yet, but I know one of them already from screenshots I've seen and the moment I met her her I was like: -.- NEVER going to happen.

I'm playing the EU PS3 version btw, which does have a gallery mode as well and so far has had full voice acting (japanese only I think, not that I mind).

I'm also glad I found out that I could jump the animations of spells and combined attacks by pressing the O-button. Definitly shortens the battle-time, waiting time and helps keeping me from getting annoyed to easily.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

Woa thanks a lot for the mini review :D, ive been always looking forward to this and now im even more....

Btw i think there was a  generation where the 3 girls were good, and i was like, "omfg i dont know how will i choose at that point", i think it was gen 3 or 4. Anyway thx for this :P

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 03:09:18 PM »

Aksys has announced that they're considering a collector's edition (possibly for both 360 and PS3) and is asking fans what extras they'd like inclluded: http://www.aksysgames.com/2009/11/16/an-edition-for-collectors/

With this carrot I'm no longer considering importing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:11:28 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

Aksys has announced that they're considering a collector's edition (possibly for both 360 and PS3) and is asking fans what extras they'd like inclluded: http://www.aksysgames.com/2009/11/16/an-edition-for-collectors/
Yeah nice idiea postin it here, i already said some (any) stuff i could think of

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »

Amazingly there's no official reviews of the European version yet, but here's a discussion thread where users scored the game and gave a brief explanation: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=941765&topic=52192176

The feedback seems pretty positive.  Sounds like Ar Tonelico enthusiasts will be right at home.

As one person put it:
"Put simply, this is a niche game - It's probably among the best options you have for a game like this on this console, and those who want it will know so, but most people won't give a damn it exists."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:19:59 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »

I've reached the third generation and from how things go I'm guessing I'm nearing 4th rather quick.

So far I've only been tempted to check a walkthrough twice. Once for an item to make an even better weapon which I just seem to be unable to obtain by overkilling enemies and stealing. Maybe I need to capture a certain monster and trade it in?
The second time because I encountered a boss-enemy that had an all-around attack that pretty much killed my whole party except for Bor?something.
I failed three times and got feed up, wanting the check for help, but found out that apparently there is neither a fan-made one or an official.

The game is shapping up even more nicely I think.
It's amazing just how your wife-choices influence what weapons and skills your next son will get and how it will affect the visuals. I'm enjoying a lot playing with the many possibilities and trying to make up my mind for the next generations.

Right now I was really given a heavy choice between two females that I both like. The third isn't bad either, but... Nah.
I actually like one girl better than the other, being able to sympathese with her, but the other girl is nice and funny as well and well... even thought I like the first one a bit better, the other one is the better choice for my kind of gameplay ^^

Other things I found out: Even thought you transfer from continent to continent, technically cutting off all your connection and history-wise apparently unable to return, you can switch back to the former continents to look for missed out treasures and stuff like that ^^

If you find a "Forbidden Tome" - I think it's called - you are able to make a 'doll' image of a 'deceased' character in the sense that you can get for example Leonhard (1st gen main char) just the way he was when you finished his chapter. He will not get included in the history as he is a 'doll', but I admit I'm rather tempted to find all four and bring all heros 'back to live' in the last gen ^^

Also, I played the game thinking that the value 100 is the highest you could reach for an attibute... Imagine my expression when I raised Bor-something's strenght and it was like the bar went back to 1 as if 'switching pages' of a book with the 101 standing at the beginning of a long bar with only 1 red dot being displayed XD

The sheer amount of combination attacks also left me quite impressed. It's my first time having a game with so many options. It's also interesting how effective the same attacks are with different characters and different equiped weapons.

The thing that probably amazed me most thought was something I've really never EVER happen to me in any kind of game:
Status changes - like poison and paralyzing - actually work on bosses. I thought my eyes were mocking me when seeing that I managed to paralyze a boss. It lasted 3 rounds which was enough for me to beat his hp down enough to kill him in the next round.

I agree with the one statement: Most probably won't even give it a try :(
Personally I do not regret buying it so far.

Especially since after playing the first and second generation I was afraid that the story for each main generation char might end up similar/repetitive. Generation 3 prooved me otherwise and I'm really looking forward to see what the next one has in store.

I was however a bit disappointed that by choosing the mother, you do not influence the personality of the son. At all. All three will get the same personality and say the same things. Only the visual appearance and their abilities and possible equipment is influenced.
Kind of a pity, but then again making different attidudes would probably have been asking for too much.

Choosen my son for generation 4 and hoping to get a green haired kid for 5 ^^
And I'm hoping that even in the fifth generation I still get to choose a wive and a glance into the future of my son ^^

I've got a certain suspicion about a character that tags along, but I'll keep that to myself for the time being, as I don't want to spoil anyone and I might be wrong in the end...
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »

Wohoo xD dude u just keep me wanting to play this game moar i hope aksys moves their asses '-.-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:45:39 AM by WildArms » Logged

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 03:02:08 AM »

... Well, actually couldn't you just import the EU version?
It's in japanese voices and english game menu and english text and all anyway and last time I checked PS3 was country free?

Another problem I've encounterd and forgotten in my last post was, that I've had had troubles with one particular character, since I couldn't get a certain item => Knive Blade and was thus unable to grade up his weapon and because of that also can't do his later weapons right now ><

The adventure guild has helped me out in this matter. I spend what few TP I had to buy an advanced weapon. *sighs* I really wish I knew an option to gain more TP than normally. They are so horrible few that I doubt I'll ever be able to buy half the stuff offered. But I guess that's partly the point of it. Choose wisely or something like that.

I've also noticed the capturing option to late. In order to successfully capture a monster you must first "weaken" it. Apparently the 'weaken' is not meant in reference to the live points, but rather to the 'Break' gauge. With my current characters ... It's pretty much impossible going back to the first continent and 'weaken' a monster enough without killing it, thus making the capture impossible. Oh well, there is always the second turn ;P

I didn't expect to figure out and find out everything on the first try anyway.
Capturing monsters gives you three possibilities: a) put the monster in your party and let it fight for/with you. ... I just now had the idea to see and check if I can 'unequip' their skills to use for my own characters. I'll need to try that.
b) Go to the 'Monster Guild' - I think it was called - in a town to 'trade it in' for an item.
c) 'Collect them' to fuse two monsters together to a more powerful one in the Monster Guild and do either of the three options with the stronger monster ;P

I think I pretty much covered everything.

Basically towns offer only two or three choices at the very start of the game, but as you advance they become more. If I remember correctly my current menu is:
Item Shop
Blacksmith (Enhancing and creating weapons)
Adventure guild (Gain titles, research skills, trade in tps, check ranks, register ranks -> the last two are online features)
Monster Guild
First Aid (A church-building to revive characters that have died in battle and didn't managed to get brought back in time => costs money)
??? (Forgot name, but this is where you can use those Forbidden Tomes I talked about earlier)
Horoscope (Allows you a glimpse into the future to check out what a son with one of the heroines would look like and what abilities he'd have. Costs almost no money (100 G) but is only avaible once you've reached the first 'love' level with the girl)

Speaking of the Horoscope thingy... I think there are five levels that the heroines express with facial expressions.
I could be wrong, but I think your light-dark gauge influences what initial attidude they have towards your main char.

=> Due to many decissions my gauge is quite towards the light, so when I got a character considered 'dark' she had the lowest level - a quite annoyed expression - upon entering my team. Later I picked up the girl with strong 'light' attribute who was almost instantly in love with me. A few decisions later my gauge was almost exactly neutral, but still more on the light side when I encountered the final girl - who apparently is neutral-focused. => She too was easily to woo and I actually had to work hard to get the first girl to like me enough to be able to check out what our child would be like ^^°

I've only watched this more closely in my current generation (third) but thinking back, I'm pretty certain that my theory could be true, since it would explain the starting level with the girls in first generation.

Knowing me, I'll most likely have (at least) three goes on this game anyway, since I want to see all kids and get all CGs ;P

I like that the storie is so well-developed for each generation, thought I can't shake off the feeling that the first generation's story was longer and I'm pretty 'rushing' through the third one. It might however just be a feeling, since I'm just getting more used to the controls.

Also an interesting fact for some: There are certain characters in each generation that will 'stay' with you through the whole game - at least so far. The main character and his three wives will always turn unplayable once you finished a generation => unless you find the forbidden tomes and use them.

From a message on another board it seems thought, as if the additional 'permanent' characters you can gain are 'optimal' and partly have to do with your light-dark gauge. Can't say anything about that myself, as I'm just playing and taking things as they come and wouldn't know if I missed one or not *shrugs*
Some also join you because the story makes them.

The mood setting is really nice. Serious when needed, cheerful at times and at some times even romantic. I also enjoy how the relationships of some of your party members with each others aren't ignored and included in some of the dialoges and also options ;)

Personally I'd have wished for a few more dialogu-events with one or more girls, but I'm happy with what I have now. The only thing that really could impove the game to me at the moment would be a friendship-level possibility with the other members of my party and thus private events with them ^^
And a walkthrough & artbook ;P
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »

I'm trying to think of the right way to phrase this, but I'm coming up short. So, what the hell: what's the perv-factor of this game compared to, say, Ar Tonelico or Cross Edge? The gameplay is sounding surprisingly good, but I really don't need my wife kicking my ass because I bought some sort of quasi-hentai or whatever.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »

I'm trying to think of the right way to phrase this, but I'm coming up short. So, what the hell: what's the perv-factor of this game compared to, say, Ar Tonelico or Cross Edge? The gameplay is sounding surprisingly good, but I really don't need my wife kicking my ass because I bought some sort of quasi-hentai or whatever.

Lol,though i just think there will be some perv images, i dont think they would cross the line though (and even if ppl say this is "sick", most probably most of them might buy it xD, is not like they will go saying the brough it after saying this is sick, hooray for internet). And at the end, is just a game to have fun (even though i know some ppl take this  kind of stuff too seriously)

... Well, actually couldn't you just import the EU version?

Because i dont live in the US (where is easier to send and recieve stuff), and i dont have enough "credit" for internet shopping using another country's currency in my credit card, i know it sounds weird, but that is how it is in my country -.-. Anyhow it will be renewed once 2010 starts, but ill just wait for aksys, ill get it faster downloading than waiting for something to come from europe xD, and have like 50% chances to reach here (without strangely dissapearing).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:53:54 AM by WildArms » Logged

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »

With this carrot I'm no longer considering importing.

If this means a disc of the game along with the swag, then I'm more interested.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »

How would a collector's edition even work for the PS3 version?  Isn't it supposed to be a download-only release?

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »

How would a collector's edition even work for the PS3 version?  Isn't it supposed to be a download-only release?

That is what most of the ppl said but well, look what the person who is working in aksys said...

"Some of you are wondering—as well you might—if Agarest will see what is commonly referred to as a “Collector’s Edition”. I can tell you now that this is entirely possible. And before you ask, yes, we are examining our options for both platforms. The logistics of such a feat are still under discussion, but I have a question to put to you, potential purchaser of Agarest. That question is: What would you like to see in a collector’s edition of Record of Agarest War? Please, let us know, either by commenting here, or in the forums, or through electronic mail."

As you can see he says both plataforms, and they have some kind of logistic, though i dont really know what is in their minds, i guess we will just see. I already posted any common extra stuff anyway, and maybe some good DLC for the ps3 users once we download the game? or like some key to download soundtrack or whatever

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: