Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:12:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329917 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users  (Read 27251 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2010, 01:16:47 AM »

Just finished the game. I think I got a crappy ending.

Code:
Pretty sure 5th-gen character has the potential of hooking up with Ellis or a few other girls. Instead of doing that, I just sacrificed myself with Dyshana and the ending took all of 90 seconds to present. Dumbest ending ever.

This is one of the better Idea Factory games I've played. But it was still agonizing to play through. Yikes!

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »

You need to do some stuff to get the 'true ending' or whatever.. probably need a FAQ to figure it out.

I'm surprised that anyone can stand all the forced grinding all the way through that artificially lengthens the game by way more than half.. combined with the tedious drudgework of linking everyone up every turn.  What difficulty level did you play it on?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »

Just finished the game. I think I got a crappy ending.

Yeah, the True Ending is much, much more satisfying and explains a good deal more.  It is also completely different from the other endings and you actually get some explanation of the title.  In a sense, the true ending is a "full circle" of Leo's original "sacrifice" of himself and his sons.

Code:
In the true ending, Dyshana becomes more "human" and understands emotions a bit more. She teams up with you
and the goal becomes to destroy the Gods who reside in the towers of each of the five continents.  The reason why each
hero sacrificed themselves is to seal these Gods, you're basically undoing everything you worked so hard for.

Even more, the continents are actually the bodies of the Gods, so when you destroy the Gods, at the end of the game you're
destroying the "world."  But by destroying the current world, you're returning it to its original form - Agarest.  Also worthwhile
to note is that destroying the world also destroys a vast majority of the population.  Rex chooses to destroy it without any
input of the people whatsoever, which seems a bit strange to me.

As for the rest, the Heroes do temporarily revive, but not "really."  They're really dead when they're sealed away at the
end of each Generation, but they're able to manifest themselves temporarily to destroy the Gods in their respective
towers/continents.

As I've been stating for a while in this thread, the main problem with the game is the required filler battles.  Take out most of those and the game would be much better.  The battle system is much more enjoyable in moderation.  Unfortunately, the game is so long that "in moderation" means beating the game would take months.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2010, 04:18:11 AM »

I agree with you Cyril, the game would have been more tolerable without the brain melting amount of forced random encounters.  I may have actually played through the whole thing instead of giving up if it was 30 hours and not 80.

Anyway, I felt Resonance of Fate suffered the same problem.  Too much traveling around, all of the arena and most side quests made you do the same fight 3-4 times in a row, etc.  But at least in RoF that content was optional, and the combat was more engaging and fun to watch.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:20:01 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

omg spoilers, im still in gen 3 and really enjoying it xD, yes the only problem is all the battles, and i wish you could at least run from battles in the "quest" maps.
Ramza said he was playing in easy in the page before this one, umm i wonder wich ending i will get, i think it depends on the turns you take, and maybe desitions? (depending if you are dark, light or neutral) I hope it doesnt depends that there is always a girl that is at maximun affection because my gen 2 relation with girls was scarce, i just got like 1 event where their affection can change -.- (besides the one at the end that always happens).

Im currently playing in normal, and is truth that in gen 3 the enemies get harder, but so far the only hard (and annoying) thing i've encountered is that when the enemies are weak, all phisicals attack will miss! AGFH, now i think is a good thing i ended with Yurie and Thoma is now a super powarfull mage, i just leave them at low health, and pwn them with impulse that doesnt miss.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »

Wow. Cyril, that true ending actually sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the details.

I have to say this: I HATE when getting true endings comes from absurdly obscure stuff. As much as I like the original Persona, getting that 4-question quiz right before one boss fight determines whether or not you get true ending (Sebec path) was just stupid. Totally awful gaming mechanic.

I think I have fodder for an editorial now. Hiding your true endings = fail.

In any case, yes I did play it on easy and I'm happy to be done with it. Now that I have access to New Game + (everyone resets to level 1, but you retain items) I think to myself:  "well I could go through it again and get a true ending." BUT as everyone pointed out, the tedium of the hundreds of battles isn't worth it. So yeah, I'll stick with my crappy ending and move on.

When you play on easy, you can run much of the game on autobattle if you're well-equipped. The only problem there is that the AI in auto-battle is to maximize combos on a single enemy. So number of turns is generally equal to number of enemies on the field, and that sucks. Every enemy takes 50k+ damage now and is super-duper-overkilled. TOTALLY inefficient. :P

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

In any case, yes I did play it on easy and I'm happy to be done with it. Now that I have access to New Game + (everyone resets to level 1, but you retain items) I think to myself:  "well I could go through it again and get a true ending." BUT as everyone pointed out, the tedium of the hundreds of battles isn't worth it. So yeah, I'll stick with my crappy ending and move on.

It's even harder to rationalize with Youtube around, just hit it up for the true ending rather than waste all your time! Though it seems SE's taken note of this and got Youtube to auto delete videos of Dissidia and FFXIII's endings, which is kind of stupid (especially since it doesn't seem that effective) but nevertheless doesn't bode well for at least the larger games, or maybe just SE games.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:18:51 PM by Eusis » Logged
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

Oh good thing if that ending is in youtube, if i play another walktrhough it will be mostly to try to get CGs because i know ive missed a lot, and would try to always be like in Dark, or in Light bar (because now im mostly in neutral) and of course, check different routes i didnt choose in the 1st walktrhough.
And yeah im with Ramza here, this game is long (or just too many filler battles), and with diff endings, with the good and true ending hard to get in the 1st try, really hurst it D: .
Still, i find pretty epic how each MC in each GEN sacrifice himself at the end xD, it must feel pretty empty to the party that goes through each  contient with Dyasha(or something like that was her name), and to Ellis who seems to fall for each hero lol .

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »

I have to say this: I HATE when getting true endings comes from absurdly obscure stuff. As much as I like the original Persona, getting that 4-question quiz right before one boss fight determines whether or not you get true ending (Sebec path) was just stupid. Totally awful gaming mechanic.

Heh, don't forget the A-ending in Valkyrie Profile or even in P4 where you had to answer Yosuke's questions. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

oh yeah, Ramza, so how did you spent most of the game (light\dark\neutral)? also, if you remember, how was that bar when you finished gen 3, 4 or 5 ?

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »

oh yeah, Ramza, so how did you spent most of the game (light\dark\neutral)? also, if you remember, how was that bar when you finished gen 3, 4 or 5 ?

I made it into "Light" territory in the first 30 minutes and never went back. Light all the way. :P

And Neal, I'm actually on the second chapter of Valkyrie Profile now and I'm using a walkthrough the whole friggin' way to ensure I get A-Ending. :)

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »

Haha ok xD ill just keep going neutral and ill say what ending i get once i get it =P, after that i might try all dark =O, unless, FF13 and resonance of fate reach my hands (they are on their way!) but Agarest will be in my ps3 for all eternity, so i have lots of time to do that.

Still, a requirement to get the true ending my be to end X generation with light, and X with dark or other with Neutral...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:18:05 PM by WildArms » Logged

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »

Sorry for double post but i just wanted this to go up for a bit because the review was released :P.

Well, speaking frankly, i think it was a fair review, i sometimes think, "woa if it wasnt me who was playing this (after all the games ive played) i would really be tired of all this battling", but well, i still love it xD, and Ramza there  are just 2 things i'd like to say o.0, first when you said "and be prepared by having a solid 18GB free on your hard drive to download and install: yeah, I know, that's a pain) " i dont know if it really matters, but the install is just 9 gigs, but you need 18 gigs free for the install, so you get back those extra 9 gigs later..

And the other thing that doesnt haves anything to do with this, is about the prequel :P here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xUenIuGW4&feature=related it seems is just one single playthrough, and it also looks like there will be more interaction with girls, with new styles to do it, and there are 4 girls,.... lets just hope the number of battles lowered down, and maybe some other stuff to do besides battling :P.

And man, im enjoying 3rd gen xD Thoma is pretty funny, and im finally getting lots of scenes and some GCs with the girls -.-'.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »

I played this game when it was released over here months ago and traded it in after a couple of days playing it. For me I could tell it was wasting my time early on, and unless I have a reason to continue through a bad game (more dull than bad I spose), I generally don't.

Code:
And man, im enjoying 3rd gen

I wish I was enjoying this gen. My ps3 gets very little love, so does my HDTV as well considering i'm usually through the other room playing ps2 games on the TV I had when I was still living with my parents. It's not the fault of anyone who actually makes the game, I know there are some great games - I just don't enjoy them myself. Mass Effect - would rather watch than play - same with most other big budget games released on Xbox360 or PS3. I really only derive enjoyment from turn-based games, and even they have to try very hard to impress me.

Far, far too picky for my own good.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »

I wish I was enjoying this gen. My ps3 gets very little love, so does my HDTV as well considering i'm usually through the other room playing ps2 games on the TV I had when I was still living with my parents. It's not the fault of anyone who actually makes the game, I know there are some great games - I just don't enjoy them myself. Mass Effect - would rather watch than play - same with most other big budget games released on Xbox360 or PS3. I really only derive enjoyment from turn-based games, and even they have to try very hard to impress me.

Far, far too picky for my own good.

I kinda feel the same. I love my PS2 more than my PS3 personally, and overall, this generation is really a mess to me.

In fact, I don't see myself buying any of the new consoles for the next generation. Maybe I will be enjoying more portable games by then. :p
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: