Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 10:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332708 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Agarest war IS NOW OUT! go buy 360 users and download ps3 users  (Read 27561 times)
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2010, 12:49:28 AM »

It would have been better if you articulated more on why you thought "It lacks the depth and complexity I'd like it to have".  For me it was the fact that you have to link everyone up every turn and it's just pointless drudgework.  In my review I equated it to having to do 1,000 sheets of basic arithmetic.  But there's also things like distributing level points being useless since it costs more points to boost some characters stats than others.  And it's pretty sad and telling when giving the game the option to play itself is seen as a positive.  Pretty fair review overall, although I'm pretty sure you don't need to do any more grinding than what it already forces the player to do (which is still an insane amount).

I felt the whole paragraph about the inventory screen was a bit excessive.  Not that the complaint isn't valid, but it doesn't need so much devoted to it.  You also skipped over the 'true ending' nonsense which I always think deserves a knock.

Anyway you can check my review out here.  I was far less pleased with the game and eventually gave up from the boredom/tedium.

Idea Factory hell: endless forced random encounter dots stretching off into eternity, until your brain melts out of your ears and you're left a lifeless husk.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:01:53 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:26 AM »

I agree with many points in the review, but you left out one important thing that bothered me: The dating system is nonsensical at times.  Why does crossing a mountain give you affection to a girl who was just complaining about doing hard work?  I very much dislike how the game gives you affection points off of your directional decisions.  Honestly, I'm not quite sure how crossing the river instead of going over the plains would make Wife A love me more.

Other small notes:
There's too many characters and none of them get any true development.  I can think of perhaps 3 total that get extended development.  Characters like Plum and the small male in Generation 4 whose name eludes me are simply filler.  You did mention that there was no point in using them, but I'd also argue that there's no point in them existing in the first place.
Building on this, in some Generations there seems to be a more "canonical" wife.  For example, Generation 3. The only wife that actually does anything and shows up in multiple cutscenes is Lavinia.  Noah and Faina are simply "there" and the plot could just as easily progress without them.  Luana in Generation 1, Yayoi in Generation 2, and RyuRyu in Generation 4 also suffer similar fates.  Generation 2 and 4 are a bit better, but even then only some characters get development.
Code:
In Generation 2 Valeria is very much in love with Ladius, but Sherufanir actually gets the most character development
of the three wives.  The scene where the group is by the river and Sherufanir is practically begging for acceptance from her
new companions was one of the saddest scenes in the game to me.  For that matter, not choosing Fyuria as your wife in
Generation 1 makes Zerva's presence for the rest of the game pretty much pointless.

I both agree and disagree about the music.  The boss themes are great (The Oracle, Faster Chase, the like), but you're right about the rest of the songs getting repetitive.
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »

he dating system is nonsensical at times.  Why does crossing a mountain give you affection to a girl who was just complaining about doing hard work?  I very much dislike how the game gives you affection points off of your directional decisions.  Honestly, I'm not quite sure how crossing the river instead of going over the plains would make Wife A love me more.

Acutally, if you are thinking of the same point as I, didn't the ladies earlier argue about which was to go and while that one complained about the extra work, didn't she also mention earlier that she loves the danger or the possible treasures the harder part often has?
It's been a while, but I remember purposefully choosing that way, because I knew she would like it :3

The thing is to keep the finer details in mind - and perhaps check the profile in the gallery. It often contains information that might be valuable but one forgets it after playing over a longer periode of time.

And yes, the plot could have progressed on without them. BUT each of the girls usually play one vital role in their generation at one point. It's been quite a while, so I'm not sure about everyone anymore, but I do remember that I never once thought them unnecessray. Well. Except for Faina. :\

Just some thoughts I had while reading your post :)
Perhaps I'm just putting to much thought or emphasis on the smaller stuff thought ;P
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »

Well, what helps me go through the "quest" maps is the music :D, i love that one.

Also, i think the char development is not that bad, i mean, is not like EVERY character haves to change their personality, Ellis has changed a bit, but thats because we found her when she was a kid Fyuria's brother, zervas i think, did change when he saw Leon doing all he did, and etc, is truth there isnt many char development but i dont think is that bad either, but there do are some characters that are just "there" xD, still every girl has a reason to be there, wether is because she wants to be with the hero, with her sister, or just wants to have fun adventuring, and ive noted that some of them do change until the end.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: