Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  something thats been bugging me for a while.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: something thats been bugging me for a while.  (Read 7915 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 05:27:53 AM »

Whatever you feel, Nuri, I'm fine with. I'm not trying to disprove God here; I'm a Theosophist myself. My bone of contention was with Redeemed's attitude towards a strongly proven issue: that Judaism started in polytheism. If we use the word 'influenced', I think it speaks too much of being apologists and catering to sensitivity a bit much. While it is more true for Islam -- in that it was influenced more than based upon polytheism -- the same is not true for Judaism, insofar as we can tell. There's strong proof that the entire concept of monotheism as Judaism describes it arose because of political sovereignty in ancient times.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:51 AM »

Whatever you feel, Nuri, I'm fine with. I'm not trying to disprove God here; I'm a Theosophist myself. My bone of contention was with Redeemed's attitude towards a strongly proven issue: that Judaism started in polytheism. If we use the word 'influenced', I think it speaks too much of being apologists and catering to sensitivity a bit much. While it is more true for Islam -- in that it was influenced more than based upon polytheism -- the same is not true for Judaism, insofar as we can tell. There's strong proof that the entire concept of monotheism as Judaism describes it arose because of political sovereignty in ancient times.

I can't disagree with you on any point. Don't really know enough about Judaism to say that it was influenced by polytheism or if it grew from polytheism.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »

Hidoshi, your source seems to make a lot of claims very quickly but doesn't seem to go into depth regarding the evidence behind them.
Did you possibly have any scholarly sources you could cite?  Or at least something that goes into more depth?
At least in regards to the JVL claim that "Elohim" is plural and thus proves polytheistic roots, I'll offer you a link in response:

http://www.israelofgod.org/elohim1.htm
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:25:23 PM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »

So wait a minute, the debate's now shifted from God's gender to whether God has or had a posse? 

In the words of Super Smash TV "Total Carnage! I LOVE it!"

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »

It's not a matter of absolutes. It's a pretty darned good /fact/ that polytheism is at the root of most, if not all religions. And it is wilful ignorance to deny it. No name calling there, I'm going to point out a demonstration when I see it. Equally I could say that your accusing me of speaking in absolutes is "name-calling", but that's silly.

So, for you there is no conflict in saying that you’re not speaking in absolutes, while at the same time going on to say that what you’re saying is a /fact/, and everyone who doesn’t believe like you is ignorant. Okay.

I would like to know, however, what you're basing your own views on? Even on the outside chance that Judaism started somehow monotheistically, it's most certainly been influenced by polytheism, in both its terminology and many of its stories. The story of Esther for instance, was almost certainly Babylonian.

I’ll repeat again: you yourself have said that there is debate about this issue, even though you are quick to dismiss those who disagree as biased! Even my secular religion professors in university were not as dogmatic about this as you are being. You are claiming that it is fact, and yes, it is the prominent secular theory, but do you have a source that also is so bold to call it a fact?  I am not getting into a debate about whether Judaism has polytheistic roots or not. My contention is with your claim that it’s a “proven” issue.
Miss Moonlight
Like a Radio Wave.

likearadiowave
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna be blunt with you––giving an Earth-based ethnicity to an spiritual entity just sounds really... silly.
Since god was made in "man's" image ("man" meaning humans in general), "God" can be either male, female, both or none. I don't see why because humans have a gender, god needs to.

In fact, "god" can be black, asian, or any other race as well.

Why is that? god is given an earthly form, depicted as a human in most places, and even given human emotions (as told by humans):  "god hates so-and-so" or "god was angry", etc.

And yes, I realize this is a super old reply to the topic, sorry, lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:00:24 PM by Miss Moonlight » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »

Your reply was punctual and well worth the wait!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: