Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341009 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Super Street Fighter IV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Super Street Fighter IV  (Read 22586 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:40 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5369773/super-street-fighter-iv-confirmed-is-standalone-title

Following Street Fighter IV's immense popularity, Capcom's back on the sub-sequel bandwagon with the announcement of Super Street Fighter IV.

I'm pretty excited for this. Thankfully, Ono and co. are pricing this at a lower entry point than a regular game, so it seems we're getting a fair compromise. I'm guessing we'll see "Expansion Pack" style pricing, somewhere in the $30-$40 range. Eight new characters including T-Hawk, Deejay, and newcomer Juri, plus refinements and tweaks across the board (especially to online mode) seems a pretty sweet deal overall.

Considering this is similar to what the original Super Street Fighter II did for its line of sequels (minus online play, obviously), I'm a bit puzzled at the online response criticising not having this as DLC. While DLC would be nice, it's impractical in my view. This is a lot of new content for a fighting game to just be given away at no cost, and the download would probably be quite a few gigs, considering.

So yeah, who else is excited for this? I'm really hoping for some tweaks to Ultra Combos (less damage plskgr8thx) myself and some character rebalancing (*cough*Sagat*cough*).
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:17:47 AM »

Following Street Fighter IV's immense popularity, Capcom's back on the sub-sequel bandwagon with the announcement of Super Street Fighter IV.

I'm pretty excited for this. Thankfully, Ono and co. are pricing this at a lower entry point than a regular game, so it seems we're getting a fair compromise. I'm guessing we'll see "Expansion Pack" style pricing, somewhere in the $30-$40 range. Eight new characters including T-Hawk, Deejay, and newcomer Juri, plus refinements and tweaks across the board (especially to online mode) seems a pretty sweet deal overall.

Considering this is similar to what the original Super Street Fighter II did for its line of sequels (minus online play, obviously), I'm a bit puzzled at the online response criticising not having this as DLC. While DLC would be nice, it's impractical in my view. This is a lot of new content for a fighting game to just be given away at no cost, and the download would probably be quite a few gigs, considering.

So yeah, who else is excited for this? I'm really hoping for some tweaks to Ultra Combos (less damage plskgr8thx) myself and some character rebalancing (*cough*Sagat*cough*).

Returning rumored characters are Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto, Adon, Cody and Guy. The new characters are rumored to be Hakan and Juri (confirmed). It's also rumored people will get 2 ultras this time.  My original wish before the rumors started was to have "certain characters" not being able to link their ultras from so many ways, but it looks like it may turn out to be the opposite (now most characters will be able to link their ultras in more than 1 or 2 ways. Of course this is speculation based off pretty solid rumors).

Yeah, I would love to see Sagat get a little rebalanced.  I'd like to see that part of gameplay (shoot moves from afar, kick/DP when they get close) get a little tweaked too, but that's not gonna happen.  More than anything i'd like to see Vega/Claw get a little buffing.  He's always been one of the Shadoloo bad guys and it sucks to see him drop so low.

I'm not surprised at all that people want this as free DLC. Everyone expects wants free hand outs and don't think/care that making stuff costs money. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

I'm so glad to finally see some people who understand how major this update will be.  Given the size of the original game files, we're looking at a -minimum- of a 3 gig file of just changes, not counting the stuff the game already has.  That's the kind of DLC you pay for, anyone expecting it for free needs a damn reality check.  Same goes for the people who think that's an acceptable download size for any and everyone.

I see a lot of people saying there's 8 characters, but in the press release they specifically said there would be "around 8" which tells me that the original rumors of there being 10 could possibly be true.  All I know is that if they built up my hopes about Dudley and Makoto and they're not in, I'm going to be one mad bear.

And Ono has already expressed concerns about Sagat's power, so I'm fairly sure we're going to see him get toned down.  By how much we won't know until the game is released, but Ono is well aware that Sagat is very strong and he's already said that the older characters are getting rebalanced, so.

I can't wait.  As much as I love Wintertime, Spring can't come fast enough.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »

I'm so glad to finally see some people who understand how major this update will be.  Given the size of the original game files, we're looking at a -minimum- of a 3 gig file of just changes, not counting the stuff the game already has.  That's the kind of DLC you pay for, anyone expecting it for free needs a damn reality check.  Same goes for the people who think that's an acceptable download size for any and everyone.

I see a lot of people saying there's 8 characters, but in the press release they specifically said there would be "around 8" which tells me that the original rumors of there being 10 could possibly be true.  All I know is that if they built up my hopes about Dudley and Makoto and they're not in, I'm going to be one mad bear.

And Ono has already expressed concerns about Sagat's power, so I'm fairly sure we're going to see him get toned down.  By how much we won't know until the game is released, but Ono is well aware that Sagat is very strong and he's already said that the older characters are getting rebalanced, so.

Yeah, that's a ridiculous size for DLC.  I don't know why people are complaining since they said it would be released at a lower price.  $40 bucks for an update like this is quite reasonable and it's not like anyone is forcing them to buy it.  People these days...

I never got the Dudley love.  Looks to me like just another Boxer.  I agree with Makoto though.  I really would like to play as Ibuki and Makoto personally.  Guy will be interesting since the game is a lot slower.  Looking at how boned Claw got with the slower speed in the game, I can only wonder how Guy will turn out since speed was a major thing he had going for him.

Also glad Ono is aware about Sagat's power.  I guess there's always going to be someone at the top but I'd rather the guy at the top not be that annoying to fight. The only time I didn't mind going up against a Sagat was when I played Dictator awhile back.  Everyone else it kinda sucks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:16:36 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

Dudley is all about style.  Playing pressure games with his rose was just amazingly badass, and his Machinegun Blow juggles are really impressive visually(And powerful to boot).  He's also one of the best characters in 3rd Strike, so there's that too.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

I think this is great considering how late I am getting to this generation (I may have finally landed a job).  I don't know if the price of SFIV has dropped already, but I'd still rather buy it at $40 the first time and not have to deal with DLC.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »

If I recall, Capcom isn't just throwing this out and leaving early adopters out in the cold, anyway; the people that own both games will apparently get a 'nice treat' or whatever. Either way, they need to rebalance Seth in Arcade mode because he is a fucking bitch to fight against, even on very easy mode. Even better, they should just remove his ass, because he's broken as hell either way.

Kind of like the people who got the free premium theme for buying all of the Fallout 3 add ons. Though, people are still going to be assholes and go "THIS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR EVERYONE" or some shit.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »

Either way, they need to rebalance Seth in Arcade mode because he is a fucking bitch to fight against, even on very easy mode. Even better, they should just remove his ass, because he's broken as hell either way.

Unfortunately, quite the opposite is true.

"...while we recognize that some people aren't as big of a fan of him [Seth] and don't like some of his tactics we'll say that he will be in, and we're going to make you like him even less. He's the last boss, and you aren't supposed to like him! We aren't going to make him "unfair hard" but he'll be more difficult, so have some backup controllers ready."

At least you wont have to go through him to unlock any characters since they'll all be ready from the get-go.

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »

Ten bucks says Dudley has stupid good links in tandem with his traditional thousand target combos. I mean just look at Sakura, an afternoon of training on some of those 1-frame links make her damage insane, imagine what could happen with a good character design.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »

Complaining about Seth is so old hat.  The computer AI falls apart if you use a solid rushdown strategy, even on the hardest AI setting.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:44 AM »

Depends on who you play as.  I can rush down as much as I want with Chun-li but since they're the PC, they know the exact time to unleash their attack to stop what im doing.  Thankfully her pokes are fast as fuck and go through their little FA crap.  For me, it's just I can't play mind games against a computer which makes my battles harder.

Ten bucks says Dudley has stupid good links in tandem with his traditional thousand target combos. I mean just look at Sakura, an afternoon of training on some of those 1-frame links make her damage insane, imagine what could happen with a good character design.

Probably.  And because of that, I'm willing to bet that the majority of the turbo scrubs will love him.  However, the problem with the 1 frame link combos is that you will eat a lot of random shoryukens online because 1 frame link combos are easy to mess up when you throw lag into the picture.  

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »

If somebody attempts a 1-frame link online, even if they're using the best connection in the world, they deserve to eat the inevitable Shoryuken, even if it's from a flowchart Ken.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »

Returning rumored characters are Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto, Adon, Cody and Guy. The new characters are rumored to be Hakan and Juri (confirmed). It's also rumored people will get 2 ultras this time.  My original wish before the rumors started was to have "certain characters" not being able to link their ultras from so many ways, but it looks like it may turn out to be the opposite (now most characters will be able to link their ultras in more than 1 or 2 ways. Of course this is speculation based off pretty solid rumors).

Yeah, I would love to see Sagat get a little rebalanced.  I'd like to see that part of gameplay (shoot moves from afar, kick/DP when they get close) get a little tweaked too, but that's not gonna happen.  More than anything i'd like to see Vega/Claw get a little buffing.  He's always been one of the Shadoloo bad guys and it sucks to see him drop so low.

I'm not surprised at all that people want this as free DLC. Everyone expects wants free hand outs and don't think/care that making stuff costs money. 

meh if you are gonna have cody and guy why not add maki too? i actually prefer maki to cody.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »

If somebody attempts a 1-frame link online, even if they're using the best connection in the world, they deserve to eat the inevitable Shoryuken, even if it's from a flowchart Ken.

This is the genius of blazblue though. They just mask it by making button inputs last for a ridiculously long window.

My main problem with sf4 is really the lack of blockstun.You just don't have to respect anybody's pressure. The only thing worth doing with anybody it feels like is shorts into throw (or whatever, just get the mixup out NOW), or spending metre to attempt anything other than that. This combined with huge stages and funky oki, whatever though.

ps: instant seth victory: J-roundhouse, 2 Roundhouse, repeat.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:25:41 PM by Takezo » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »

The reason that it looks like they are going for Cody and Guy is because that's what people asked for.  Maki wasn't even really a Street Fighter character, she was only added to one special edition of Alpha 3 and nobody really remembers her.  No popularity = nobody wants her in = Ono doesn't give a shit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: