Author Topic: Super Street Fighter IV

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
Re: Super Street Fighter IV
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
I unfortunately can see Guy sucking balls if they haven't fixed the "moving through a sea of vasoline" speed issue. I mean, the reason Guy is an effective character in Alpha is because of how quickly he intercepts and retaliates. If they do to him what they've done to Vega (re: make all his air moves fucking useless), this is going to be a very poor incarnation of Guy.

As soon as I saw the video, I told my friend, "He will be the anti shoto.  The messiah.  Just you wait and see."  El Fuerte was modeled after Guy so there's a pretty good chance he will be as fast as Elf if not faster (than his current incarnation).

edit:  I like the pick of characters... still waiting for more info on Ibuki and hopefully Makoto.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:20:58 PM by Akanbe- »

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »
At least they can't screw up Cody. He just... well. Cody sucks. I can only see him being improved from his Alpha release.

Cody was motherfucking solid mid what are you smoking.  Sure, he wasn't great in V-ism, but his other ism's were fucking incredible and if he had his knife he could punish you for like half life from half a screen away on a like 2 frame whiff.

Cody was here, Guy can go eat a dick.

Dude. You have ZERO taste in games. I can't take your opinion of anything seriously, least of all the claim that Cody is a good character. I know people who are masters at playing him and still can't beat a mid-range Guy simply because Cody's recovery is balls. He's also got a remarkably large hitbox both standing and crouching which makes him an easy target to everyone. His knife is good, sure, but that's his only good move.

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
How does my taste in games have any impact on my ability to play fighters?  Also fuck you, my taste in games is perfectly fine.

I play Cody, and I know his ins and outs, and not being able to beat a Guy player is a personal problem, not a character problem.  Cody can combo into Criminal Uppercut from almost any poke, and his pokes have pretty damn good priority.  He's got good range with his Ruffian Kicks, and they cover a lot of ground and combo from most of his useful moves, and the HK version is a really, really good anti-air.  And let's not even discuss what he can do with his X-ism Super or his ability to never take chip damage in V-ism.  His ability to do retarded damage with his knife is just an added bonus for when he gets a chance to grab it.

Cody may not be the best character ever, but he's easily solid mid and a halfway decent player can shut down even top-tiers with him if he's used right.

Edit: Just checked the most recent Japanese tiers for Alpha 3, Cody's highest placement is B-rank with his V-ism, while Guy's highest rank is C+ with his A-ism.  So there was one thing I was wrong about (Cody's V-Ism is better then his X-ism, not the other way around), but he's solid mid AND he's better then Guy.

I may not have known as much about Tatsunoko as I may have liked, but I fucking know my Alpha 3, Third Strike, and Guilty Gear.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:16:58 PM by Gen Eric Gui »

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »
After playing more SF4 today, they need to fix Abel's 236P -> 6P/K -> 6P/K combo. The double punch is easily punishable on block, and the double kick is easily punishable even if you DON'T block. What the fuck were they thinking.

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
It's a risk/reward mixup.  The opponent doesn't know if you're going to follow up any part of the attack, so you can use that to make them try to counter certain parts of the attack string for free damage/combo setups.  I don't play Abel, so I don't know what they -are-, but that's likely the rationale behind the attack.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
Except all they need to do is block low to punish the punch version, and they don't even need to block the first overhead punch to punish the kick version, because it comes out so slowly that they recover from the flinching animation before it combos. Only the most amateur players will get hit by it. The punch version is only useful when used at the end of a combo, but the kick version is never ever useful.

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 01:38:04 AM »
So, according to a Joystiq article, there are 10 new characters.  Who could possibly account for the remaining 4? Skullorama???  j/k.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Booboo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »
So, according to a Joystiq article, there are 10 new characters.  Who could possibly account for the remaining 4? Skullorama???  j/k.

10 new chars would be great in a fighting game like GG, BB or SC but looking at SF, it does not impress me. I've been fooled into buying SF4, not going to be again ...

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
...what's wrong with Street Fighter?  And how could Soul Calibur possibly be better than it in any way?  If you say character balance I will laugh in your face.

And since the list has been correct so far, the other 4 are probably going to be Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto from SF3 (Ibuki is all but confirmed since one of the Guy screenshots already released shows him blocking a Kunai) and a new character(an oil-obsessed Middle Eastern wrestler named Hakan).

Skull-o-Mania can't be used because all the EX characters are owned by someone other than Capcom and they would have to pay licenses to use them again.

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Oh, was it Skull-o-mania? My bad.:/
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »
Yeah, the list has been too right for me to believe it's not the truth at this point.

Considering you're looking at 35 characters, I don't know what more you could want.  Even in SF4, you have 25 viable characters to use in non-tournament level play (yes, I'm even including Dan).  Most games couldn't even come close to claiming something like that.  Of course, you wouldn't believe that going online and only seeing Ryu/Balrog over and over again.  Still pumped for SSF4

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »

10 new chars would be great in a fighting game like GG, BB or SC but looking at SF, it does not impress me. I've been fooled into buying SF4, not going to be again ...
"Fooled?" What, did someone tell you it was Blazblue in disguise?

Kiem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
Gouken for life...

No, I did not read this thread at all...just some smack talk about characters and I wanted to throw in my SF4 character lol

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »
The information is trickling in still.  Apparently the release date got pushed back.  Fine with me if it means good balance.  Apparently there's going to be reasons to not be such a defensive game - Not Guard Crush but something.

One thing I want to find out more than anything is what they're doing with old characters.  We know Guile is buffed.  We know Sagat is nerfed.  While I'm sure this will be the last information released, I'd like to know now how my lady C.Viper is going to fair in all these changes =\

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
Like I said before, FIX ABEL'S MOVESET. His antiair is HORRIBLE, it only connects reliably in one instance (comboing it with 2HP), his kick version of change of direction is crap and can be punished even if you hit the enemy with the first strike, and his tornado throw needs a slightly greater range (there are instances where it looks like he'll grab the opponent but it whiffs ... even though his hand connected). It's a shame Abel's moveset is horrible, I actually enjoy using him.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, CAPCOM.