Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330095 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Super Street Fighter IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print
Author Topic: Super Street Fighter IV  (Read 21548 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

Yeah.  It's just different with him since most of the cast can't punish them.  Thunder Knuckles (LP or MP at least) are safe on block most of the time.  I don't even think Abel can grab you safely after them.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »

Has anyone used Cody yet? I'm trying him out right now and he's pretty badass.

Criminal Upper is easy to link into, though it's really slow. All his moves are like that, actually; trying to counter with him doesn't work, it's much better to be offensive, apparently. Bad Stone is okay, but a great lead into his Last Dread Dust if it connects.

His Ultras are pretty useless though. If Last Dread Dust hits while your opponent is airborne (which it often does) you might end up launching back your opponent who can then easily counter. Final Destruction isn't that great either, since it has a slow start up and is easily blocked.

EDIT - Seems I need to master Focus Attack Dash Cancel to effectively use Final Destruction. Any tips on how to get better at that? I suck at it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:32:05 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »

I'm waiting for some tournaments vids to pop up to see what Makoto is capable of in SSFIV. So far, it seems like they really nerfed the damage on Seichusen, which sucks.

Man,I really want to play this game! I can't afford a PS3 yet. I'm jealous of everyone playing it :(

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »

I'm waiting for some tournaments vids to pop up to see what Makoto is capable of in SSFIV. So far, it seems like they really nerfed the damage on Seichusen, which sucks.

The damage is weak because you can pop Tanden Renki before it and do amazing damage.  You just need both bars full to do it unfortunately.

Has anyone used Cody yet? I'm trying him out right now and he's pretty badass.

Criminal Upper is easy to link into, though it's really slow. All his moves are like that, actually; trying to counter with him doesn't work, it's much better to be offensive, apparently. Bad Stone is okay, but a great lead into his Last Dread Dust if it connects.

His Ultras are pretty useless though. If Last Dread Dust hits while your opponent is airborne (which it often does) you might end up launching back your opponent who can then easily counter. Final Destruction isn't that great either, since it has a slow start up and is easily blocked.

EDIT - Seems I need to master Focus Attack Dash Cancel to effectively use Final Destruction. Any tips on how to get better at that? I suck at it.

He's pretty much the only character I have not tried at all.  Not sure why.  He definitely is a solid character.  Indeed, you do need to use fadc to effectively land some of Cody's ultras.  Ultra 2 can be used on reaction to a fireball, but you really need to read your opponent well.  

The only real way to get better at fadc-ing is to go into training mode and practice.  A decent way to practice is to see how many of Ken's EX shoryu's you can juggle.  I don't know if they took it out in Super, but in regular SF4 with infinite super bar in training mode, you could ex shoryu, fadc, repeat for quite awhile.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:11 AM »

Well, really, all you're doing is dashing at the exact moment that your focus attack is hitting.  For FADC into ultra, you're literally just Focusing to level 2 or 3, hitting, dashing to cancel the animation(which works EXACTLY like canceling a normal attack into a special), and then doing an ultra as normal.  For characters like Cody who have simple 236236 Ultras, it's one of the easier things you can do, as opposed to say, landing a 720 Ultra during the dash forward or doing ANYTHING after an FADC with a charge character.

And Criminal Upper is fucking fantastic.  It combos after nearly all his comboable normals.  You absolutely HAVE to master c.LK -> LP Upper, it is mandatory to be able to do that on reaction.  It's also very important to learn the properties of each of his Ruffian Kicks, and to know when a given one is appropriate for a situation(For example, HK version not only sets up juggles in the corner, but is also a decent anti-air, but only against an opponent who has not jumped far enough.  You can use it to seriously punish poor players who don't know how to move without jumping).

And you are also correct in your assumption that Cody wants to be on the offensive.  He has very few tools to get him safetly out of pressure on himself, he's very momentum oriented.  You need to keep the pressure on from start to finish if you want to win with him.  Learn your block strings, learn to read opponents early and how to punish them, and definitely learn every single possible way to maximize every piece of damage you do.  Cody should have some seriously mean link combos if he's anything even remotely like his Alpha version, so look into that especially.

Edit: I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I heavily suspect that Cody's knife is going to be really important to his overall gameplan.  In Alpha, you had to keep Cody away from his knife at all costs, not because all his punches cause chip damage while he has it (which was one factor, granted), but because it gave his already great block/pressure strings added range, the only limiting factor Cody had.  I also know that in Alpha you could link up most of the knife attacks, so if you so much as landed an LP with the knife you could guarantee some serious fucking damage, which could then be added onto with chip damage from a follow-up block string.  I dunno if he's got any knife links now, but it's something worth checking into.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:30:33 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »

I tried the knife, and it doesn't seem to be that great. Knife has chip damage, which is cool, but it seriously detracts from his ability to combo, from what I've seen. Plus, he lets go of it far too easily. Just one hit, and he drops it. Plus, the recovery time for grabbing the knife is atrocious. Opponents can easily land an ultra or a super combo just from the time it takes to pick up the knife.

Haven't use it extensively though, will look into it more.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »

That's why you don't grab the knife when your opponent is standing.  Cody has a lot of effects that knock enemies down and leave him on +frames afterwards.  Use that time to grab the knife safely, and then start applying pressure.  Once you have the knife, you use the greater reach, the fast swings, and the chip damage to apply pressure.  Towards the later parts of a match, it can win the whole thing right there.

But I'll say again, this was how it worked in Alpha.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »

Pretty sure he can LP jab 4 or 5 times with the knife too (it's fast as fuck too).  Honestly, a 4-5 jab with the knife seemed to do as much damage as a j.HK-cr.MK-SRK combo from Ryu.  It's definitely situational, but the times when it's advantageous to use the knife, it's worthwhile.

Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2010, 06:39:51 AM »

Got the game by trading PoP2008 and Infamous which were meh to me, and it's much more fun than the regular SF4. The new characters are really fun to play, and I already found my new main Juri since Rose was getting a little dull... If someone wants to hit me up for some casuals Raging_Booboo is my PSN.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »

Super Street Fighter IV is easily the best fighting game in this gen, yep yep.

But, goddamit! I hate to fight against Ken so many times. I mean, you have 35 characters to choose from, and you choose Ken? C'mon man! I know that you are better than that.

I'm thinking in buying an arcade stick too, my hands cry in agony after 20 matches (well, kinda). D:
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2010, 06:03:01 AM »

But, goddamit! I hate to fight against Ken so many times. I mean, you have 35 characters to choose from, and you choose Ken? C'mon man! I know that you are better than that.

I'm thinking in buying an arcade stick too, my hands cry in agony after 20 matches (well, kinda). D:

Yeeah, it's pretty sucky to play fighters on regular pads, especially 2D fighters but I manage pretty well. On the other hand, I'm not an arcade stick guy but this game really requires one.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »

I don't know how people use pads.  There is this sick C.Viper player from the Chicago area nicknamed Wolfkrone who is really fuckin amazing with Viper and uses a pad.  That's pretty sick considering Viper has the hardest, most demanding combos and executions and he does it on a pad.  No idea how he does that without his thumbs bleeding.

And yeah, fighting the same character over and over again sucks.  I haven't run into it much yet, but it was really, really bad in regular SF4.  It can only get worse imo once a more official tier list comes out and the tierwhores flock to the characters the pros deem the best.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »

Pad vs. Stick is really dependent on experience.  I never played fighters in arcades ever, so pad feels infinitely more natural to me then stick.  I can do anything a stick person can on my PS3 pad, it just takes different finger mobility.

I think my secondary is slowly settling.  For a while I was hovering between Sakura, T.Hawk and Cody, and I think the latter is starting to win.  My T.Hawk cannot do ANYTHING against anyone with a decent fireball (even a mediocre Gouken can completely shut down T.Hawk with his diagonal fireballs), and Sakura's combos are just a little too finger-gymnastic-intensive for my tastes.  Cody is a fucking beast though, I think overall he's probably better then he was in Alpha 3 and he's even a little bit more fun to play, which is always a plus.  Plus that knife is just sick!  I took off almost 1/4th of some dude's health from just a simple block string.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:36 AM »

Pad vs. Stick is really dependent on experience.  I never played fighters in arcades ever, so pad feels infinitely more natural to me then stick.  I can do anything a stick person can on my PS3 pad, it just takes different finger mobility.

Well, is all about practice and polish your game really. But an arcade stick for a game like Street Fighter is always usefull.

And yeah, there's some crazy players out there with a normal controller.
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2010, 04:34:04 AM »

I think my secondary is slowly settling.  For a while I was hovering between Sakura, T.Hawk and Cody, and I think the latter is starting to win.  My T.Hawk cannot do ANYTHING against anyone with a decent fireball (even a mediocre Gouken can completely shut down T.Hawk with his diagonal fireballs), and Sakura's combos are just a little too finger-gymnastic-intensive for my tastes.  Cody is a fucking beast though, I think overall he's probably better then he was in Alpha 3 and he's even a little bit more fun to play, which is always a plus.  Plus that knife is just sick!  I took off almost 1/4th of some dude's health from just a simple block string.

True, since I've not been an arcade guy myself and I'm pretty agile with the pad, especially when it comes to SC because sincerely I've never been a SF fan before but I'm doing my best to learn so I'm just wondering if you're playing constantly so I can add u for some casuals.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: