Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327737 Posts in 13419 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn's Light Released!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dawn's Light Released!  (Read 3396 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

With RPGs in general I want to see more risks taken is in storytelling, writing, characters.  I feel that a lot of RPGs, particularly mainstream ones, tend to play it safe in terms of storylines and storytelling, though some like Megami Tensei are not afraid to take some risks and  "go there" like with P4 exploring a character coming to terms with his own sexual confusion.  

Hey Neale,

I never thought about it but this guy on my forum just made me remember interesting points:

http://www.blossomsoft.com/tribune/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6700

Before releasing EE I feared the opposition of Christians about my game, it's a delicate subject especially when the Bible is altered. I was slightly raised in a Christian environment and I especially remember when my friend's uncle turned mad when we played FF10 in front of him, "Itís a transgression to the holy bible! They falsely teach that a mortal hero will be able to fight against Ďsiní and WIN during the Judgment Day! Mankind can only be saved by believing in the Christ! Stop this game right away and never bring it back here!"

Donít worry my friendís uncle is a great guy in general, but heís a fanatic. Anyway I always feared the opposition of Christians with a biblical themes. Iím surprised that I never received a single complaint even if the game is treated lightly.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »

My take on EE was that it was about Noah, Jean, and Downey's whole sheltered worldview and everything they'd ever known about life being completely shattered.  The concept of, say
Code:
Joelle and her partner being same gender
was something Downey had never even conceived. 

And, yeah, I've heard stories about some kid being harassed by some old biddy for buying Xenogears at Gamestop. 

Regardless, religion, politics, and sexuality are three topics that everybody gets defensive about, no matter what. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »

Well, the review is up.  Nutshell, I wound up liking this game a lot more than I expected to.  Not my favorite RPGM title, but definitely top 5 so far.  What I really liked best was that (Ending Spoiler):
Code:
Harvey and Vera did NOT end up together like some two-bit JRPG cliche.  They would have never worked out; I found zero romantic chemistry between them.  I liked how they tried to date, it didn't work, she hooked up with David, and Harvey's fate was up to you.  If Harvey and Vera became a couple, I would've screamed "COP OUT!"

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:23 AM »

Great review, I downloaded the demo right after I read it. This game is only the second indie RPG I've played. Makes me wonder what I've been missing.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »

RPGMaker games remind me of the old "graphics whore" arguments.  After playing so many of these, I think I'm actually turning into one.  It's not that RPGMaker games have bad graphics, it's that they all have extremely similar graphics.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »

Well, you're rather limited by the engine in terms of what graphics you can create (anything else "can" be pretty creative).  You're pretty much stuck with a game that looks like it was pulled out of the SNES, which fails to impress when games like say FFXIII are on the horizon.  That's why the other elements are so key.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »

Although nowadays we're seeing games like Millennium and Whispers of a Rose that do custom work in their environments, character art, and/or sprites.  Dark Souls has pro-quality sprites and Whispers of a Rose looks like it does as well.  So even when I judge graphics, I ask whether it looks good for an XP or VX game.  

But, yeah, there are limitations to the engines.  I know what you mean that games like Eternal Eden, Dawn's Light, and Eternal Twilight have very similar looking environments due to the default tilesets from VX.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:22:49 PM by Dincrest » Logged

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »

Eternal Eden and Dawn's Light are the only two indie RPGs I've played, so I'm fine with it. Seems I've picked two of the best to start with, too, Dawn's Light is a hilarious and well-written adventure and Eternal Eden has some very fun, interesting puzzles and a really cool atmosphere. I've noticed they share some character portraits, music, and graphics but since they each have their own unique feel and style I can overlook it.

If I continue on this indie kick though, I'm sure I'll get burnt out on games made with this engine, unless they offer something legitimately different.  Here's hoping that Blossomsoft is successful in their venture to develop games for consoles eventually, and to whatever future project John Wizard games has coming up, cuz I can tell from these two efforts that they've got some great ideas.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: