Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Mana series retrospective.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: A Mana series retrospective.  (Read 552 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »

Square and consequently Square Enix is like that uber-popular band you loved since the first album, but their second album had a crazy popular top 40's tune and now you don't even want to count yourself amongst the fanbase openly because of what it could falsely indicate about your taste and sensibility. And of course you hate that top 40's song and really only now appreciate the band for helping mainstream a sound that once resonated with you.

^^ That is how I feel about Square at least.

If I said I loved Square, what I would truly be saying is that I loved SoM, and what they managed to get on the shelf of my local blockbuster back in the early 90's. I respect the fact that were it not for them I would not have discovered my primary love in terms of media, across the board, until much later in life.

Sadly, if I do indeed say I love Square amongst most anyone at present its immediately assumed I am Kingdom Hearts/FF7/FF10 fan. It is like saying I love early nineties rock so people just assume I'm a pearl jam fan. These assumptions fall a fair distance from the truth in my case.

This soliloquy has forced me to adjust my question from the dice thread: is there any Square or Square Enix game you don't actively hate on at every opportunity? You don't seem to miss a beat around here.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but I sort of developed the impression that Aeolus is hyper-critical of every game he writes about. I'm positive I've seen his posts pick apart the technical aspects of games he has openly admitted loving, with a pretty remarkable recall for detail. I think I love reading Aeolus' posts for that very reason. LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:05:02 AM »

I think he's critical 'cuz he cares.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:01:52 AM »

You have to be critical or nothing will change, unfortunately complaining on some random forums isn't going to help much unless you manage to change peoples perspectives which is very unlikely going to happen over the internet.But the main problem is most game companies will only make games that they know have been successful before and just want the money without really caring if the game is fun or not. I am not saying everyone in that company is bad or whatever but there is always that real rich dick who just wants money that is usually in control of everything.

But back to the point at hand if people just accept a company because they have done well in the past or fall for the pretend super CG hype trailers that usually have no actual gameplay involved in them. You end up with problems like in the MMO world where every single MMO is just a direct copy of Warcraft with different skins. Its never good to be a yes man no matter how much you may of liked a companies game in the past or whatever reasons you may have. The gaming industry has evolved so slowly because people are satisfied and never seek the new greener games over the hill in the past they were evolving fast and it wasn't just the graphics.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:50:35 PM »

Square and consequently Square Enix is like that uber-popular band you loved since the first album, but their second album had a crazy popular top 40's tune and now you don't even want to count yourself amongst the fanbase openly because of what it could falsely indicate about your taste and sensibility. And of course you hate that top 40's song and really only now appreciate the band for helping mainstream a sound that once resonated with you.

^^ That is how I feel about Square at least.

If I said I loved Square, what I would truly be saying is that I loved SoM, and what they managed to get on the shelf of my local blockbuster back in the early 90's. I respect the fact that were it not for them I would not have discovered my primary love in terms of media, across the board, until much later in life.

Sadly, if I do indeed say I love Square amongst most anyone at present its immediately assumed I am Kingdom Hearts/FF7/FF10 fan. It is like saying I love early nineties rock so people just assume I'm a pearl jam fan. These assumptions fall a fair distance from the truth in my case.

I am unashamed of being a fanboy of FF IV, V, VI, IX, and XIII.  Also Chrono Cross. I REALLY REALLY enjoyed Chrono Trigger, SoM, Live a Live, Super Mario RPG, FFTactics (both versions), Xenogears, Parasite Eve and...ok just listing this out right now kind of just proved your point for you (and made me re-evaluate some thngs on my end).  Other than the much hated XIII (and to a much lesser extent XII) I haven't played a Square game I was truly immersed into since... uh....the PSX??? Holy...shit...

edit: I guess I'd realized a while ago that Atlus had supplanted Square as my go-to developer, but it hadn't occurred to me until now how much of my own reverence for them was based off nostalgia.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:54:27 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Today at 07:01:27 PM »

Same here.
If we're talking about JRPGs, I expect much more out of Atlus and even Bamco than SE now.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:12:15 PM »

If you're talking console games maybe (though I'm a weirdo who really liked XII), but S-E has had several good portable games over the last couple generations of handhelds.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Today at 07:32:14 PM »

There are actually a lot of Square games that I like, I'm just, in general, /not/ fond of their SNES output. Final Fantasy 5 is probably my favorite of the bunch, though I do like SoM and CT (although again I think CT's kind of overrated a lot). But that's about the extent of it. Although if we're expanding Square to Square Enix... I didn't really like DQ5 or 6 in their original incarnations either.

It's more PSX-era Square I'm... still sort of obsessed with.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: