Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 08:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331847 Posts in 13588 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Atelier Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: The Atelier Series  (Read 5893 times)
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »

I'd get Meruru Plus for the Vita if it had a discount on the US store.
I didn't think Meruru was the best protagonist but as far as game goes, I think her game was the best by far.

Meruru was my first Atelier game (not counting Mana Khemia on PS2) so I have a special love for that game. I think she is the cutest of them, I mean she is literally a princess!

I own all of them from Rorona forward but I have not finished most of them. Ayesha is the only one so far, but I am in the last year of Escha and Meruru. Escha I am doing really well on but Meruru I did not do so well because it was my first time with the time limit concept. Rorona and Totari I have just played a few hours. I have too many RPG's and now I got Demon Gaze on sale and almost Disgaea 3 on Vita since it was on sale too.

I cannot complain about PSN sales because they have a lot of them! I got all Atelier games on sale except for Meruru and Rorona.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »

I'd get Meruru Plus for the Vita if it had a discount on the US store.
I didn't think Meruru was the best protagonist but as far as game goes, I think her game was the best by far.

I'm of the same opinion. It's amazing how much a visible indicator of progression helps keep you invested in the game. In the other Atelier games, you don't really see anything change beyond dialogue, but in Meruru, even if it's really superficial and only on the kingdom map, you can tell how well you're doing at any given time.
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »

I got a Japanese account and saw that they have the PSone Atelier games on the PSN store. Have anyone played them? Are there any translation guides? I cannot read anything except yes and no in Japanese but it would be nice to know how the series started.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »

I got a Japanese account and saw that they have the PSone Atelier games on the PSN store. Have anyone played them? Are there any translation guides? I cannot read anything except yes and no in Japanese but it would be nice to know how the series started.

I believe Marie has a translation guide.  I'm not sure about the others.  I don't think they're really playable without one, but I've been wrong before on that.  You can always try GameFAQs and look the games up one by one.

But be aware that the older games are quite different from the newer ones.  Especially Marie and Elie, where the time limit is extremely strict and the titles are absolutely focused on management compared to the more relaxed time limits in the later games.  They are also more heavily focused on replayability.
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2014, 03:36:02 AM »

I believe Marie has a translation guide.  I'm not sure about the others.  I don't think they're really playable without one, but I've been wrong before on that.  You can always try GameFAQs and look the games up one by one.

But be aware that the older games are quite different from the newer ones.  Especially Marie and Elie, where the time limit is extremely strict and the titles are absolutely focused on management compared to the more relaxed time limits in the later games.  They are also more heavily focused on replayability.

Sounds like I may be better of getting my hands on the Atelier Iris games on PS2. I have not played those. I have Mana Khemia but MK2 was not released in EU so I would have to get the Japanese version on the Jap PSN or modify my PSTwo to play American games which seems like a hassle but the Iris games came out here. How does Atelier Iris compare to Rorona and the other PS3 titles? Seems more like Mana Khemia at least from what I've seen.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2014, 04:07:56 AM »

Iris is nothing like the PS3 titles.  It's much more of a conventional JRPG with crafting elements on the side.  There are no time limits of any sort.

That said, though the hardcore Atelier fans were upset by the drastic changes a lot of people seemed to enjoy Iris.  It doesn't really feel much like an Atelier game, though.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »

Iris is nothing like the PS3 titles.  It's much more of a conventional JRPG with crafting elements on the side.  There are no time limits of any sort.

That said, though the hardcore Atelier fans were upset by the drastic changes a lot of people seemed to enjoy Iris.  It doesn't really feel much like an Atelier game, though.

Good golly how I've wished for years they would return to the Iris formula for an installment or two. I'm probably amidst the minority of Atelier fans when I say it, but I REALLY felt "Iris" was a great direction for the series. In fact, I would go so far as to say it did wonders for fostering a larger fanbase for the franchise as a whole.

I personally would not regard the Atelier name as highly as I do if it were not for Iris.

Additionally, I can credit the first Iris game as the title that made me realize crafting items and inventory could truly be F-U-N.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Today at 08:39:36 AM »

Good golly how I've wished for years they would return to the Iris formula for an installment or two. I'm probably amidst the minority of Atelier fans when I say it, but I REALLY felt "Iris" was a great direction for the series. In fact, I would go so far as to say it did wonders for fostering a larger fanbase for the franchise as a whole.

I personally would not regard the Atelier name as highly as I do if it were not for Iris.

Additionally, I can credit the first Iris game as the title that made me realize crafting items and inventory could truly be F-U-N.

Frankly I'd settle for a new Mana Khemia game as it basically was the spiritual successor to Atelier Iris. Although yeah, the Atelier Iris trilogy is what got me interested in Gust and is the reason why I have bought every single one of their games that have been localized.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Today at 06:25:54 PM »

Sadly I never got to Khemia. With the exception of Persona, I've always had a bias against school/academy settings in games and anime. I think I missed some cooooooool stuff as a result of that bias. Khemia is certainly one I keep in my back pocket for a rainy day though.

NOTE: My bias is purely based on a jealousy factor. I always wanted to go back to school/college and never found the opportunity whilst trying to foster a career. Thinking about  how much I would enjoy an academic environment sort of bums me out. LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Today at 06:27:20 PM »

Play Mana Khemia, Muppy demands it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Today at 06:33:12 PM »

Mana Khemia is a really unique experience.  The battle system is amazing, not just "okay" or "serviceable" like most GUST games.  I'm not sure why they even moved away from it in the way they did.  I do wish it had more management aspects, but it's definitely worth it if you play it like a standard JRPG and not an Atelier title.

Also, as expected of games in the series, it has amazing music.

Stay far, far, far away from the PSP version though.  It's an abysmal port.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Today at 07:12:23 PM »

I think I've heard that if you get the PSP version digitally (not on a UMD) it runs a lot better.  If was not properly optimized to work with the slow read speed of UMDs.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Today at 07:35:16 PM »

I think I've heard that if you get the PSP version digitally (not on a UMD) it runs a lot better.  If was not properly optimized to work with the slow read speed of UMDs.

If anyone can confirm that I'd buy the game right the f*ck now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Today at 08:15:24 PM »

I've heard the same, but I don't know how true it is.  I did the full, huge install with the UMD, the one that takes ~30 minutes, and there was still persistent slowdown.  I think it's a mix of bad port, general GUST title slowdown, and PSP reading issues.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: