Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2016, 12:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
236788 Posts in 7063 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The RPG Pet Peeves thread- 2016 edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The RPG Pet Peeves thread- 2016 edition  (Read 757 times)
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »

I had the opposite problem in two PSP RPGs: Star Ocean: First Departure and Brave Story. In both of those games, the majority of the townsfolk had nothing to say except gameplay pointers and tutorial messages all the way to the endgame. It creeped me out!

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »

I'd say that falls under my "Tutorial Troubles" banner.

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

Random battles are more of a thing of the past but they still rear their ugly head up every now and then. I don't mind them when they load quick like FF10/FF10-2, or Wild Arms 3. However random battles with either a terrible battle system (Bravely Default - Thousand Arms) or numerous random battles when the focus of the game is on exploration (Skies of Arcadia) get on my nerves more than anything. Skies of Arcadia (for the DC, heard the GC did a better job) also had the dubious distinction of the longest loading times for battles in any game I ever played.

Antagionsts who want to destroy the world for no reason other than that they are bad people and that's what bad people are supposed to do. MOTIVE PLZ!

Not a fan of multiple endings, especially good and bad endings in which you need gamefaqs to get. Would rather have 1 good ending over 14 different poor ones.

I used to hate the silent protag but with the Persona games and XCX I've started to come around in that dept.

Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »

Antagionsts who want to destroy the world for no reason other than that they are bad people and that's what bad people are supposed to do. MOTIVE PLZ!

I find it an even rarer and more appreciated treat when the antagonist of a JRPG wants to do something more nuanced than destroy/conquer the world.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 12:33:54 AM »

I never really get tired of beating up the antagonist that wants to take over the world, to be honest.
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 02:51:54 AM »

Lennus 2, the sequel to Paladin's Quest, forces you to engage with a stupidly high random encounter rate while solving block puzzles and navigating invisible mazes with pitfalls.

Designers, take note: Puzzles, or battles. Never both.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 03:08:27 AM »

Lennus 2, the sequel to Paladin's Quest, forces you to engage with a stupidly high random encounter rate while solving block puzzles and navigating invisible mazes with pitfalls.

Designers, take note: Puzzles, or battles. Never both.

I'm suddenly finding myself flashing back to Beyond the Beyond....at least that game was just crap all around.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »

Dog-like enemies in RPGs.

Especially if it's an action RPG and they whimper when you attack them.

(Also I'll defend random battles because I think they're very appropriate for certain types of dungeon design/gameplay flow. I've said this before but I think the shift to non-random encounters has caused newer tales games to favor this big-and-empty dungeon design that I don't like and that Tales of Rebirth's small-and-detailed dungeons only work with random encounters, I don't think they worked very well in Eternal Blue: Complete because of the dungeon layouts either, and SMTIV's particular way of handling non-random battles is why I never got past the first dungeon. I don't see Shining the Holy Ark working well with non-random encounters anyway, because that would've mandated a more Dungeon Mastery approach and... Honestly my issue with how fighting in Dungeon Master-likes is... something else entirely but still

tl;dr, non-random battles where they don't belong == you spend more time trying to run away from enemies than doing anything else).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:54:05 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:40:51 AM »

Might as well throw out a thread-requisite peeve towards Japanese Highschool settings, as well as the new and improved Idol = Magical Girl replacement.

The former because its lazy as fucking hell, and the latter because it takes an already narrowly restricted genre and narrows it even further (as well as providing a convenient slot to insert a male lead/viewpoint character/power fantasy, because that's just what a genre about giving girls super powers needs (not that they needed the help to begin with)).

Andrew
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: Today at 01:43:42 AM »

Might as well throw out a thread-requisite peeve towards Japanese Highschool settings

Ugh, yes. This was cool the first... few times I experienced it when I started playing JRPGs, but the hundreds after that it's just facepalm-worthy. Can we not get even just a college or work setting? Just for a change? No?

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Today at 02:21:36 AM »

Might as well throw out a thread-requisite peeve towards Japanese Highschool settings

Ugh, yes. This was cool the first... few times I experienced it when I started playing JRPGs, but the hundreds after that it's just facepalm-worthy. Can we not get even just a college or work setting? Just for a change? No?

Sorry, but people won't know you're trying to rip off Persona unless you've set your game in a Japanese Highschool.

That said, I wouldn't mind a remake, sequel or spiritual successor to Hourai High.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Today at 11:47:25 AM »

Sorry, but people won't know you're trying to rip off Persona unless you've set your game in a Japanese Highschool.

That said, I wouldn't mind a remake, sequel or spiritual successor to Hourai High.
The whole thing with Japanese highschools that makes me wince is...aren't they INCREDIBLY strict? I mean, I get you have rule breaker and all, it's inevitable...but especially in shit like Persona where basically the day to day seems to all happen at school and these kids just do whatever they want between classes...idk,maybe I missed something, but it seems like a real jp highschool wouldn't let any of the shit fly that goes down in these games...

Seriously, I've been in new york public highschool, and even there some of the casual stuff that happens in these games just wouldn't fly. Hanging out in hallways between classes, fighting on the premises with other students, talking back to teachers and security...it's laughable how unrealistic it all is.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Today at 11:58:26 AM »

I don't see the problem. They basically create the high school life we all want(ed), and at the end of the day isn't that the point of escapism? To live our dreams vicariously through media?

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: