Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2016, 03:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246675 Posts in 7386 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Blue Reflection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blue Reflection  (Read 92 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/blue-reflection-first-details-screenshots

So now its Gust's/Koei-Temco's turn at taking a crack at that Magical Girl JRPG genre that's still criminally underrepresented. Hell, its already better off than Level 5's/Banpresto's/Squeenix's/Compile Factory's attempts by virtue of not being outright skeezy (though I'm not holding my breath on this, especially since it got announced alongside 'Totally-not-Lesbians of Azure 2'), not aimed at the wrong demographic for a serious attempt at this, containing an actual magical girl (well okay, Superheroine Chronicles did have Symphogear and Dream Hunter REM), and/or isn't free-2-play CCG shovelware.

That said, the reason I'm throwing this thread together is that it sounds like Sailor Moon meets Persona and I know that half of RPGAtlusFan loves Persona (it's also billed as an RPG, but that barely means anything these days). I also suspect that there's gonna be a bunch of Madoka Magica-isms (because it's gonna take a Monkey Paw's wish to get anything straighter than that), but hopefully they can keep the Magical Idol bullshit down to a dull roar.

What I will blow a Monkey Paw's wish on is for this to not be yet another VN because those are a dime-a-dozen and boring as shit (and outside of two screenshots, this is unfortunately looking pretty VN-ish).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:17:36 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like it's a couple sausages short of being too VN-ish for my tastes, as well. I might get a kick or two out of it either way, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:18:49 AM »

It looks kind of generic to me...

Kind of as I was saying in the anime thread, not sure Sailor Moon has really been surpassed... as far as magical girl games I think Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn still holds the crown.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:42 AM »

It looks kind of generic to me...

Probably because it has the same artist they used for most, if not all of the PS3 Atelier games, and it's supposed to have a "shoujo" feel to it (I swear, sub-par/immitation shoujo always looks the same. Even moreso than the actual highlights of the "genre" that they're trying to mimic).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:13:16 AM »

Seems a little fetishy. I don't think this is intended to be Magical Girl fiction in the traditional sense.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:39:08 AM »

NVM, I was wrong. The genericness is everything. I don't know how much more bland and shallow every character, summerized plotpoint, and stated game mechanic has to come off as before the entire thing just fades into the backround? The more I look at it, the more it sounds like it's being made by an otome game generator...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:02:13 AM »

You really only need to get two paragraphs in to know the writing is going to be utter trash.

"With the introduction of social networking sites and smartphones comes new ways to communicate with people. However, the essence of interaction between people does not change no matter the era."

Any creator who fails to see the fundamental change human interaction has taken within the past 20 years is going to be drafting some painfully blind as a mole fiction.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:05:44 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:47:39 AM »

Hold the phone though, it looks cute, it's just something I, the seasoned JRPG player, have seen before.

I actually played an Atelier, it was cute, there's just a lot of JRPGs and RPGs in general out, the market in general is pretty chaotic, hence titles like this would get a shrfit.

2003 me would of been like ZOMG YES! 2016 me is more... whatever... you get the idea.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:03:19 AM »

You guys do realize that I was joking about the AtlusFan quip right?

Meh, whatever. But I still smell an S-Link knockoff mechanic in there somewhere, and if they had just came out and said "We have S-Links and Stands Persona", the whole lot of you would be on this like 'flies to a sensual pile of manure'. -_-

For now though, its back to licensed anime tie-ins for my Magical Girl JRPG fix.

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:21:52 PM »

And it seems the "emotionally distant Rei Ayanami-style moe girl" is supposed to be the main protagonist.  I assume that's who we'd play the game as.  Great, in a game all about forming bonds and forging friendships, I'm the cold fish character.  Yay, I get to be girl-Squall.  A part of me wonders if there will be any crazy Black Swan vicious rivalry type stuff in the game (what with Rei-Squall being a ballerina). 

I did like the music on the game's website.  That piano piece was quite lovely in its melancholy.  http://social.gust.co.jp/gakkou/index.html

My favorite magical-girl RPG is still Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story (commonly referred to as Sailor Moon RPG) for Super Famicom.  And Ara Fell's developer's first project, Starlancer Six, had potential to be a decent magical girl JRPG but never went anywhere.

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:26:09 PM »

Haha I wouldn't count on Black Swan being an influence to Gust!

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:35:27 PM »

And it seems the "emotionally distant Rei Ayanami-style moe girl" is supposed to be the main protagonist.  I assume that's who we'd play the game as.  Great, in a game all about forming bonds and forging friendships, I'm the cold fish character.  Yay, I get to be girl-Squall.  A part of me wonders if there will be any crazy Black Swan vicious rivalry type stuff in the game (what with Rei-Squall being a ballerina). 

I did like the music on the game's website.  That piano piece was quite lovely in its melancholy.  http://social.gust.co.jp/gakkou/index.html

My favorite magical-girl RPG is still Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story (commonly referred to as Sailor Moon RPG) for Super Famicom.  And Ara Fell's developer's first project, Starlancer Six, had potential to be a decent magical girl JRPG but never went anywhere.

Squall's attitude wasn't his problem (being a moody edgelord is one of the most stereotypical teenager archetypes around), it was the fact that literally everything revolved around him and his romance with Riona because everyone else was a massive idiot. If the focus was more on actually drawing him out of his shell instead of that dumb romance, it would've made for a far better story.

Unfortunately, this sounds like its gonna get into some serious Madoka Magica edgelord-ness so I can't say that your fears aren't well founded (I'd like to believe that Gust could pull it off, but they're a part of Koei Temco now and that's just a recipe for cheesecake).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: