Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2016, 04:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
241904 Posts in 7247 Topics by 2377 Members
Latest Member: NickRansbottom
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Berseria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Print
Author Topic: Tales of Berseria  (Read 13146 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »

I never played Grandia, missed out on it somehow.

I keep thinking one day... but I'd have no idea where to start.. plus I get this suspicion whatever it offered was covered by something else I played, I don't know, Granstream Saga? Breath of Fire 3? Somethin....

Those games are absolutely nothing like a Grandia game (seriously, Granstream Saga!? that game was among the nadir of bad 2D to 3D conversions; and BoF3 is a pure turn based JRPG).

Grandia games are in short, an evolution on the Lunar games' characters and enemies moving around a battlefield style gameplay, with the main addition being an ATB like gauge that's shared by every character and enemy on the field. The key feature of this function is that characters/enemies placement and rate of travel along the timer bar is dependent largely on their speed and the charge time of their action or movement with no trace of a classic style 'turn based' separation of turns. Further distinguishing this feature is the fact that with good timing and the appropriately used move, a character/enemy can have their turn delayed or outright canceled.

Its a really unique system that's only been revisited beyond the Grandia series recently, as in Child of Light recently.

As for where to start, Grandias 1 and 2 are basically it. Grandia 3 has better gameplay, but the story's the worst, Parallel Trippers is a GameBoyColor game and not even available outside of Japan, and Xtreme is basically a dungeon crawler.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:10:18 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »

I keep thinking one day... but I'd have no idea where to start.. plus I get this suspicion whatever it offered was covered by something else I played, I don't know, Granstream Saga? Breath of Fire 3? Somethin....

Those games are absolutely nothing like a Grandia game (seriously, Granstream Saga!? that game was among the nadir of bad 2D to 3D conversions; and BoF3 is a pure turn based JRPG).

Grandia games are in short, an evolution on the Lunar games' characters and enemies moving around a battlefield style gameplay, with the main addition being an ATB like gauge that's shared by every character and enemy on the field. The key feature of this function is that characters/enemies placement and rate of travel along the timer bar is dependent largely on their speed and the charge time of their action or movement with no trace of a classic style 'turn based' separation of turns. Further distinguishing this feature is the fact that with good timing and the appropriately used move, a character/enemy can have their turn delayed or outright canceled.

Its a really unique system that's only been revisited beyond the Grandia series recently, as in Child of Light recently.

As for where to start, Grandias 1 and 2 are basically it. Grandia 3 has better gameplay, but the story's the worst, Parallel Trippers is a GameBoyColor game and not even available outside of Japan, and Xtreme is basically a dungeon crawler.

Ok so Lunar then. =-)

Lunar was pretty turn based though... IMHO... like when you started talking about the move based elements I had honestly forgotten them entirely I think I may have ignored them the entire game.. maybe.. it's been awhile.

Not that I still won't try it.. but yeah... that's kind of my concern that something like Lunar has already kind of... well... another JRPG, a good one perhaps but still.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2016, 03:09:35 AM »

Ok so Lunar then. =-)

Lunar was pretty turn based though... IMHO... like when you started talking about the move based elements I had honestly forgotten them entirely I think I may have ignored them the entire game.. maybe.. it's been awhile.

Not that I still won't try it.. but yeah... that's kind of my concern that something like Lunar has already kind of... well... another JRPG, a good one perhaps but still.

What I was trying to say is that there really wasn't anybody doing what Grandia did (to much befuddlement), until Child of Light came out about a year or two ago, and even then it really didn't quite accomplish the replication. Even Lunar is a different beast because it was its direct predecessor in terms of developers, not gameplay engine.

Or in short, you're safe. Just play one and enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:11:11 AM by Aeolus » Logged

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »

Ok so Lunar then. =-)

What I was trying to say is that there really wasn't anybody doing what Grandia did (to much befuddlement), until Child of Light came out about a year or two ago, and even then it really didn't quite accomplish the replication. Even Lunar is a different beast because it was its direct predecessor in terms of developers, not gameplay engine.

Or in short, you're safe. Just play one and enjoy.

Well I was never against playing it for giggles even if it was overly similar, at any rate.

I saw Iwadare was doing the OST.. he's pretty choice.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2016, 04:21:05 AM »

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/tales-berseria-introduces-shigure-melchior-first-dlc-costumes

And the DLC's already on its way. 3 bux for some goddamn clothes for Velvet. -_-

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »

I once bought an actual set of real, wearable clothes for less than 3.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »

I once bought an actual set of real, wearable clothes for less than 3.

lol!! xD

I can't say I have but I have expensive tastes (and yes I'm poorer for it).

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/tales-berseria-introduces-shigure-melchior-first-dlc-costumes

And the DLC's already on its way. 3 bux for some goddamn clothes for Velvet. -_-

Whatever, I'll dish the extra $3 because at least she doesn't wear hobo tatters.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »

So I guess I might be getting this for PC, that'll be different I assume.

Also still enamored with the outfit mostly, I guess I just differ from a lot of gamers that said there are definitely cuter "Sexy outfits" the one that just popped up on RPGfan for this game being a pretty decent example.

I think her hair styling contributes more to the "wild effect" than the clothes personally.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:14:11 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: