Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332910 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How long to beat an entire series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How long to beat an entire series  (Read 63 times)
glassjawsh
will argue out of boredom

"You're pretty punk, Steve" - Dolphin

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: Today at 05:55:54 PM »

So recently, there have been a few threads on the boards to the effect of "finnish me bak'laag!".  This got me to wondering about exactly how much time I have and potentially could be dumping into working my way through all the titles that I own.  I used RPGFan's review section, a few gaming aggregating sites and my own monkey brain to determine the bare ass minimum it would take someone to burn through a bunch of titles sight unseen (first playthrough).  I grouped them by series and even gave each one a total minimum time to complete the entire series.  This may or may not be helpful/interesting to anyone, but because I am borderline autistic and get easily excited about raw data I enjoyed putting it together.

A few important notes:

Titles were only labeled as "series" if they have 3 iterations worth inclusions.  This bummed me out because I had to leave out Baten Kaitos and the Team Ico titles (ICO and Shadow of the Collosus). 

I didn't include Phantasy Star because it is more known as an MMO.

I have nothing to say about Shining. It's just so meh to me.

Zelda bores the piss out of me, deal with it.

I didn't include any WRPGs because outside of Mass Effect, I haven't really touched any.  Sorry, but I'm just not interested.

With a few exceptions (see below) this list only includes titles that were released in North America.

Each series only includes the titles that I considered to be the core of what they represent as a whole.  Many I included are not necessarily "main" titles, but I felt that they merited inclusion because of how much they added to the general narrative of the series.

I grew up on the SNES and later the playstation, so I am partial to those particular consoles.  The "systems" included above are the ones that I would recommend to a friend if they asked.  Sometimes this means playing the original over the enhanced remake/port and vice-versa.  You can disagree with me, but I had to have some sort of criteria for which version to go with.

There are a "few" titles below that weren't released in North America, but had fan translations that were so widely recognized that they are basically "official" versions.

Feel free to tell me if I left out a series which you think merits inclusion. You can also allow one minor error or omission to ruin the entire project for you, if you see fit. 

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:56:33 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:57:10 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:35 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:57:59 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:58:48 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:59:18 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:59:40 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:00:01 PM »

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:16:03 PM »

to put some of this into context...the average lifespan of a housefly is 28 days.  There are 672 hours in 28 days.  So if a fly ignored sleep (and all of the sidequests and extras in every title) they could beat every Final Fantasy game and still have 12 hours left to gloat to their fly buddies before they croaked.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:29:34 PM »

A couple of exclusions that should be noted.

First, Final Fantasy Adventure should either be in place of Sword of Mana or added to the Mana tally since its an almost entirely different game from Sword (also Sword has two protags with fairly different scenarios so hopefully that was taken into consideration).

Second, you forgot about the Final Fantasy Legend games. You need to add those to the SaGa list where they belong (although I won't begrudge you for not choosing to include FFL3, that thing's more like Mystic Quest's Master Quest).

Third, you should add Mystic Quest to your FF lineup, its a half decent game and Curtain Call canonized it. Also, you should totally count Dirge of Cerberus in your Final Fantasy list because, whether you or anyone else likes it or not, its still a part of that awful FFVII compilation, and you can't skip out on that one if you're including every other ill-conceived Squeenix compilation title. Also also, you should add Advent Children to that list (just hold a controller in your hand, hold forward, and occasionally tap the X/O/B/A/confirm/deselect button and you can easily write it off as a full fledged Squeenix videogame).

Plus, you totally missed Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Add it.

Moreover, you've totally missed the Mario & Luigi series.

That said, if you're going to do the Blazer Trilogy, you need to add Actraiser to the list (or you can be totally sneaky and add it to the Ys list since its basically Ys III mk.2).

On that note, you also missed Ys Origins (and Ys III is so completely different from Oath in Felgana that it should be included separately).

And finally, like the FFA/Sword of Mana bit earlier, you should include Wild ArmS: First Whatever (can't be arsed to look it up).

Now go and make lists for Lufia, Legend of Heroes, the Camelot games (or at least Shining whatever), Tactics Ogre and Front Mission.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:35:10 PM »

Dear lord I take my time on games

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:40:11 PM »

Dear lord I take my time on games

^ Also my reaction.

Especially the FF titles. I clocked at least double everything there.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:14:42 PM »

Yeah, I make absolutely no effort to "finish" my games in any reasonable amount of time. My times are always double or triple what others' are.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: