Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335245 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 88190 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »

I know Sankaku Complex is frowned upon around here - but "they report" that sales have come down, and a lot of artists who are actually in the biz, are also complaining about the degrading quality in story-telling, overuse of females (no good male characters besides the dull idiot amongst the female harem), and generally unimpressive (copy, pastes) of themes and ideas (school girls and the lot).

I really can't wrap my head around why school girls and the best thing since sliced bread.  Speaking at times, it seems like their anime is taken more seriously than even their movie industry, you'd think there would be more interesting stuff floating around.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »

I know Sankaku Complex is frowned upon around here - but "they report" that sales have come down, and a lot of artists who are actually in the biz, are also complaining about the degrading quality in story-telling, overuse of females (no good male characters besides the dull idiot amongst the female harem), and generally unimpressive (copy, pastes) of themes and ideas (school girls and the lot).

I really can't wrap my head around why school girls and the best thing since sliced bread.  Speaking at times, it seems like their anime is taken more seriously than even their movie industry, you'd think there would be more interesting stuff floating around.
The Japanese Otaku who make up a large % of  the outrageously expensive Japanese DVD sales, eat this stuff up and its guaranteed easy money.Which is why anime is so bad right now. The industry is playing copy-cat. If something sells exceptionally high one season there will be atleast two clones of it the next season.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »

So now that the preview is up two things spring to mind.

1. I took a peek at the gallery...worst female designs yet. Purple hair is just a rehash of Luca and the other girl is so...so...plain. :-/ Which isn't a crime of itself but considering how gorgeously elaborate the character designs have been up until now it's a real negative. Is there a third Reyvatiel later on and if so is her design any better?

2. So the innuendo is worse than ever huh? Does it manage to be worse than Aurica's Life Extension scene? If so...how? Just...how?
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »

From the ESRB: another sequence depicts a male character "removing" a magical crystal from a female character—this scene is accompanied by suggestive moans and comments (e.g., "Aoto's putting his hand inside Soma" and "Fumble around every inch inside of her . . . you will find what you're looking for . . . !")

But, honestly, I have played through quite a bit of the game and everything is so in your face obvious, over the top.  Nothing is really masked.  Scene I mentioned above is even more graphic than what the ESRB described, but I don't want to post spoilers or anything until after the game is out.  I'm kinda in a boat where my lips have to be sealed on the game until my review goes live.  Sorry, I can't answer more!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: February 24, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

So now that the preview is up two things spring to mind.

1. I took a peek at the gallery...worst female designs yet. Purple hair is just a rehash of Luca and the other girl is so...so...plain. :-/ Which isn't a crime of itself but considering how gorgeously elaborate the character designs have been up until now it's a real negative. Is there a third Reyvatiel later on and if so is her design any better?

2. So the innuendo is worse than ever huh? Does it manage to be worse than Aurica's Life Extension scene? If so...how? Just...how?

1. Yes, there is a third Reyvateil, but I find her design to be a bit plain as well. There's actually more than three playable Reyvateils, but some of them don't act like Reyvateils normally would.  Remember, this is the Third Tower, the entire tower is dominated by Reyvateils so they come in all shapes and sizes, quite literally.

Storywise, Reyvateils are created from D-Cellophane, which lets them be able to manipulate their forms.  This has come into play in the story before (Misha) and it will in AT3.

2. I'd say yes.  It's a shame that these scenes are what people remember AT by and not its beautiful lore.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »

So by more than three are we talking actual "ending-able" Reyvatiels complete with cosmospheres or are we takling "sorta Reyvatiels but not really Reyvatiels" like AT2's Cocona?

Heh, I actually remember the games by their lore. That's literally the only thing still keeping me on the fence about this game because it contains, from what I've been hearing, practically everything I despise about modern writing. (Overt sexual overtones, pointless nudity/near-nudity, ect.) I mean Aurica's scene was kinda bad but as awkward as it was to sit through it was kinda sweet and served a purpose.

I guess the big kicker for if I buy this or not comes down to the following: How is the battle system?

Personally I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of live action battle systems. The Tales of - battles systems were always dry and boring to me, and Star Ocean's never really struck me as fun until SO4; but that quickly devolved about half way through the game when the charms of the blindside animations wore off. Seeing the series go from the nice, creative timing system in AT2 to a "live action" format is making me more than slightly cautious. Is there anything unique/creative about this battle system or is it a cut/paste of all the other live action RPG battle systems out there?

Edit: After watching some gameplay vids (or more accurately boss battle vids) two questions come to mind.

1. Are the clothing strip sequences skippable? Because in one vid it looked like you were able to speed through them without detailed cutscenes (unlike another earlier boss fight; which hurt my soul to watch) but I cannot tell if that was video editing or not.

2. Is it possible to win battles without having to "upgrade" your Reyvatiel to the point of nakedness? Or does that happen automatically when your song charge hits certain points?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:11:03 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

I don't know why everyone is getting all up and arms about this sexual thing in Ar Tonelico, it never bothered me and I'm a girl compared to most of you guys!!

Anyways I'm really looking forward to this game, I loved the 2nd Ar Tonelico and the first one is pretty good too (Haven't finished it yet though.)

Add that to a changed battle system which resembles the Tales Of series which I love and sign me up for this game!!

All this hate on the series seems to be really unjustified and really I think the Ar Tonelico series is one of the best traditional RPG series that has come out this generation, it really has a certain charm and old-school feel, and that's why I like it, not because of the fanservice.

All this comes down to really is well...HATERS GONNA HATE

Avid Grandia and Lunar Fan
Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »

I don't know why everyone is getting all up and arms about this sexual thing in Ar Tonelico, it never bothered me and I'm a girl compared to most of you guys!!

Does this mean you're a man but compared to some of the other men here, you might as well be a woman?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:45:05 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2011, 02:48:25 AM »

Does this mean you're a man but compared to some of the other men here, you might as well be a woman?

Now that's hilarious

... and a just question
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

Now that's hilarious

... and a just question

If it is indeed female, should I feel effeminate since I await all but one of the games it awaits? (Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »

No, just interested in clearing up that confusing sentence vanguard pointed out :)

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: March 03, 2011, 07:55:24 AM »

Unless there's a very good rpg hidden under all this nonsense I'll pass.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »

Unless there's a very good rpg hidden under all this nonsense I'll pass.

So yes you will play it?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »

I'm probably going to pick it up if I can manage to swing the console this weekend, as the vids I've seen of the combat system look decent and even if the game fails there's always D4 and Catherine coming this summer that will have made the console worth it.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

Well now that the review's out I don't feel bad about reserving it. I'm not jaded enough yet to be annoyed by JRPG plot conventions, stripping is optional, and having been raised on text-based games/old Macs I find any graphic that's not black and white dots to be satisfactory. XD Looks like another average game for the collection.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: