Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334604 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 87788 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »

I have never read a review in my life that was completely objective. They are opinions -- they're supposed to be. They will always be personal to some degree.

To be objective would be simply to state facts. If you want that, read a preview.

Be happy I didn't write the review.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:14:06 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: March 11, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »

sex innuendos (and is not that big of a deal anyway ._.)

Not that big of a deal, eh? Well, you don't happen to be a woman.

Exactly! As a reviewer, you should act as one, and not let personal stuff influence THAT much on reviews.

I mean, if i hear on a game that a crystal i way too big to fit a hole the revytail's have, and they start with the innuendos here, i, as a man, would probably laught a lot, but it might get a gamer woman on the bad side.

Of course, you should not be reading my review later on saying: "The innuendos were so great, i laughted so much!, it really made my day to read all that, i mean, it was just so crazy! haha!"

Should go more like "There exist a lot of sex innuendos in the game, for me, they were funny, but they may be way to dumb and simple for most people, they really focus this part more oriented to male players, so watch out at these parts"

I have never read a review in my life that was completely objective. They are opinions -- they're supposed to be. They will always be personal to some degree.

To be objective would be simply to state facts. If you want that, read a preview.

Be happy I didn't write the review.

That's not the point, preview is a preview, a taste of the game, not how the game is, go ahead and do the review, is not my fault there are not many good reviewers these days.
Read reviews like Wild Arms 2 from Pat, he loved the game, but he was objective enough to keep that away from his review.

As for the guy that posted the AT3 and the Eternal Sonata? screens, that doesn't change what i said does it? Yeah, the 3D graphics may not be great quality as others, but does this mean you will say they are bad?

" I didn't found the graphics of this game appealing at all, compared to other games i've played, the graphics of Ar Tonelico 3 are really low quality, i would recommend to check Screens before getting the game to see if they would appeal to you, but i really thing GUST could had done better"

There, a lot better than just saying "The graphics were "ugly" compared to what we have seen.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:20:15 PM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2011, 11:22:16 PM »

The only reviewer so far that has really made a good job has been Patrick.

Go fuck yourself.  It's one thing to say that your opinions align with Patrick's when it comes to reviews, but it's another to say that my staff doesn't do a good job.  You claim you don't want to offend, but that statement proves otherwise.  Eat a dick.

Tell you what, I'll give you a male's view of things.  I only played about two hours of AT3 since I wasn't on the review, but every reviewable that RPGFan gets makes its way through me.

Ar Tonelico 3 is awful if you're not a part of the audience - one that is diminishing more and more as the series goes further over the top.  Maybe you've been in /h/ on 4chan or maybe you read doujinshi.  If so, you're the audience for the game.  Congratulations!  You probably already know how you feel about the game.  Me?  I'd be stark raving PISSED if I spent $60 on what I perceive to be garbage.

I have a serious question for you: Do you read reviews to validate your own opinion or do you view them to see what a wider variety of opinions on the game are?  If it's the former, you've scored the fucking idiot jackpot.

I'll also be blunt with you here: Kim signed up for the game because she had interest in it.  I didn't get the reviewable and say, "Oh, Kim should review this!"  She didn't go into the title with prejudice because, and stay with me here, she actually wanted to play it.

Did I go too fast for you?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:51:00 PM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 11, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »

Exactly! As a reviewer, you should act as one, and not let personal stuff influence THAT much on reviews.

I mean, if i hear on a game that a crystal i way too big to fit a hole the revytail's have, and they start with the innuendos here, i, as a man, would probably laught a lot, but it might get a gamer woman on the bad side.

Of course, you should not be reading my review later on saying: "The innuendos were so great, i laughted so much!, it really made my day to read all that, i mean, it was just so crazy! haha!"

Should go more like "There exist a lot of sex innuendos in the game, for me, they were funny, but they may be way to dumb and simple for most people, they really focus this part more oriented to male players, so watch out at these parts"

Except you're disproving your own point with the innuendo; you're illustrating how that point is irrelevant to you, and any reader with any brains at all will go "nope, this isn't an issue for me" and thus she did her job and informed you on an aspect of the game, you just want her to be nicer on a game you anticipated. It's only a problem if they're outright making up issues or the issue was a failing of some sort on their part (IGN's review criticized DQVI for constant grinding, yet there were only two spots I did any kind of grinding for and I may've been able to avoid those anyway), and even that's just an example of how reviews are inevitably subjective. Anyways, I imagine a purely objective review on Ar Tonelico would be far harsher than you'd like.

Also, being a man =/= appreciating the innuendo. Some of us may want a bit more class in our games, or at least hoped for a higher standard with this one!

I'll also be blunt with you here: Kim signed up for the game because she had interest in it.  I didn't get the reviewable and say, "Oh, Kim should review this!"  She didn't go into the title with prejudice because, and stay with me here, she actually wanted to play it.

Given she started the review stating she was a fan of the prior games I half expect he's blocking out inconvenient facts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:31:06 PM by Eusis » Logged
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »

Right... I never said all your staff was bad, or they dont do a good job, i only said i liked Pat's reviews more, if that's a sin, then im a sinner, if i like a singer more than other, does this means the others are bad? No.

And insulting me won't change that either.... Either putting your rage at Ar Tonelico 3, the only thing i thought that was bad, is the review, is ok if you didnt liked the game, but if you are a good reviewer, you will just state things as they are, there are many, many interests in the world.

I also never said that Kim should change her Review, i just stated my point of view... I actually like some of her other reviews, for example, Ghost Trick was really well made. And there are many others...

*sigh* all this constant rage might by why i stop posting on these forums, if you cant take a little critique...

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »

Right... I never said all your staff was bad, or they dont do a good job, i only said i liked Pat's reviews more, if that's a sin, then im a sinner, if i like a singer more than other, does this means the others are bad? No.

And insulting me won't change that either.... Either putting your rage at Ar Tonelico 3, the only thing i thought that was bad, is the review, is ok if you didnt liked the game, but if you are a good reviewer, you will just state things as they are, there are many, many interests in the world.

I also never said that Kim should change her Review, i just stated my point of view... I actually like some of her other reviews, for example, Ghost Trick was really well made. And there are many others...

*sigh* all this constant rage might by why i stop posting on these forums, if you cant take a little critique...

Tell you what, I'll help keep you away.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #381 on: March 11, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »

I wish to apologize for the diversion and do not wish for this to derail the thread; it's fine if you disagree with us, or even if you don't like the way something was worded.  But to flame us, claim you did otherwise, and then not read what we're telling you?  That's another thing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the moment you go and insult what are some of the most hardworking people writing for this website for what is literally no compensation?  Your time here will be limited.  Insult me all you want, but I'm not going to let you insult my writers.

Thanks!

=^_^=

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:07 PM »

I wish to apologize for the diversion and do not wish for this to derail the thread

I'm sorry but

With my dying will...!
Banninated

I find this amusing.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »

It's fine. Hell actually it was kinda aweosme. I actually have a lot of respect for how kimberly handled both the review and that situation. Even without the backup, she owned his ass.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: March 11, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »

My main problem with the review is that it doesn't mention the music other than in passing.

Music is simply what the games are about. Even in Japan this game was marketed as a "symphonic RPG."  I can't even imagine writing a review for any Ar tonelico game elaborating the music, the hymnos, and the language they've created.  That's an insult to the brilliant GUST sound team.

The rest I don't necessarily agree or disagree with, but the review did feel like it was meant to tell readers who had played the previous games more than those new to the series.  There's a lot of depth to the Ar tonelico world, and it's not touched on at all in the review.

My own opinion on the game is that if you enjoyed 1 and 2's story, you'll want to play the third as it's an excellent conclusion to the series, but other than that most everything is a step down from 2. Except the hymnos. I preferred most of the hymnos in 3 to those in 2.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:56:29 PM by Cyril » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »

._.; Yeesh, away for an evening and apparently I miss the flame fest of the century. My sympathies to the reviewer. ^^;
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »

My main problem with the review is that it doesn't mention the music other than in passing.

Music is simply what the games are about. Even in Japan this game was marketed as a "symphonic RPG."  I can't even imagine writing a review for any Ar tonelico game elaborating the music, the hymnos, and the language they've created.  That's an insult to the brilliant GUST sound team.

The rest I don't necessarily agree or disagree with, but the review did feel like it was meant to tell readers who had played the previous games more than those new to the series.  There's a lot of depth to the Ar tonelico world, and it's not touched on at all in the review.

My own opinion on the game is that if you enjoyed 1 and 2's story, you'll want to play the third as it's an excellent conclusion to the series, but other than that most everything is a step down from 2. Except the hymnos. I preferred most of the hymnos in 3 to those in 2.

That depth could qualify as a spoiler.  A title like this you usually know what you're getting into otherwise.  
The hymnos was barely touched, I was a bit blue about that - but otherwise, the music in the game blows and I personally feel the battle system took a huge step back this title (and being a Tri-Ace/Tales advocate,I love real-time, but AT3 was kaka).

Good enough review for sure otherwise.  It kinda went exactly how I expected in terms of flaws and all.

I hate the double-edged sword this innuendo issue has become though.  Neptunia is getting sacked for a lot of the tasteless foolery and "humour" in the game and otaku's are furious... but unless you're a fan of that shit, what's there to like...?  I actually want to interview an otaku as to why the fluck "moe" IS the greatest thing since sliced bread to them.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

I think my main point was that Qoga was a step down for the series.  I really like to see games improve upon each entry, and I'm really disappointed when they don't.  I had trouble writing certain things about the game, because I didn't want to give spoilers.  It's really hard being a reviewer because you have to sometimes deliberately word something a certain way not to give a spoiler.  A lot of time our story parts are vague because of this aspect.  We don't want to essentially spoil things for others and I can't guarantee a fan who knows everything about the series will be stumbling upon the review.  It's always tricky.  

As for the music, I liked what I heard, but my problem with it mainly came with not enough variety.  Also, a lot of the town music is weak.  It didn't feel like the greatness of Ar tonelico's music as previous entries did, but that's just my opinion.  Sometimes it's hard to touch on everything in a review.  I enjoyed certain compositions, but others weren't as desirable.  Also, I felt a lack of variety throughout the game in general.  As I said though, these games do have better compositions than your typical RPG, I just found Qoga not to be the series' strongest.  

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »

For the record, not being a woman doesn't make it okay for sexism to be funny.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »

The hymnos was barely touched, I was a bit blue about that - but otherwise, the music in the game blows ...

Neptunia is getting sacked for a lot of the tasteless foolery and "humour" in the game and otaku's are furious... but unless you're a fan of that shit, what's there to like...?

Highlighting the two statements I found odd.

-Really? How does it "blow" I gave a fair portion of the tracks a listen (I know it wasn't a complete list because there are some battle themes missing) and it seemed par for the course for an AT game. Heck the music was far more pleasant to listen to than say...Fable 3 or Fallout NV for example. Granted I'm hearing these tunes out of context and at my own leisure without unwanted looping but I can't think of even a single track that entered "blows" territory. Even the strange little EP_NOVA.

-Is that game really setting off the "jaded" alarm that badly for people? ._. Neither me or my wife are huge anime people anymore. There's like...2-3 shows in our collection of DVDs at any given time and neither of us have watched anything from about 2002 out. Neptunia's self-aware parody humor has been rather enjoyable to listen to and she actually prefers I wait to play til she's home just so she can watch. Neither of us really fit into the modern otaku context and we find the game just fine. Nothing "OMG write home!" about but nothing that merits the ragging it seems to get.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: