Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334812 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 87951 times)
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »

Also for the record, a game does not need visually 10 year old strippers to keep otako happy. I've seen plenty of anime fan service in my day, but this is kinda nuts.
Hell lunar had those Bromide things. those seemed to work just fine, and they weren't even close to this level of... i dunno what.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:18:55 AM by MindCandy » Logged

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »

Also for the record, a game does not need visually 10 year old strippers to keep otako happy. I've seen plenty of anime fan service in my day, but this is kinda nuts.
Hell lunar had those Bromide things. those seemed to work just fine, and they weren't even close to this level of... i dunno what.

They felt a bit more tasteful with that little classical flute and strings combo going.

And Zeron, I think KStar said it best - regardless of what you liked about it, the majority is a certain step down in the ArTone series as a whole.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

I'm not going to disagree that it isn't a step down. XD I figured that the moment I heard they abandoned their amazing battle system AT2 had. Although sadly I can't really elaborate too much on anything til I get a chance to play it. Seems like so many people around here have played it already. XP
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #393 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19:38 AM »

sex innuendos (and is not that big of a deal anyway ._.)

Not that big of a deal, eh? Well, you don't happen to be a woman.

Exactly! As a reviewer, you should act as one, and not let personal stuff influence THAT much on reviews.

I mean, if i hear on a game that a crystal i way too big to fit a hole the revytail's have, and they start with the innuendos here, i, as a man, would probably laught a lot, but it might get a gamer woman on the bad side.

I'm a male, and I think that stuff is retarded, makes me respect a game less, and would make me say "this is pathetic." It's not good writing, and it's not good humor, it's just cheap pandering to try to sell the game to a very, very specific crowd.

I have never read a review in my life that was completely objective. They are opinions -- they're supposed to be. They will always be personal to some degree.

To be objective would be simply to state facts. If you want that, read a preview.

Be happy I didn't write the review.

That's not the point, preview is a preview, a taste of the game, not how the game is, go ahead and do the review, is not my fault there are not many good reviewers these days.
Read reviews like Wild Arms 2 from Pat, he loved the game, but he was objective enough to keep that away from his review.

You mean read a review where the reviewer liked the game? If a reviewer loves the game, it makes no sense to 'keep that away from the review.' As for your completely not subtle insinuation that Kim is not among the few "good reviewers these days," her review is thorough and communicates hard fact on the game. It has an excessive and tasteless amount of sexual content, and the core aspects of the game are broken or poorly done. The excessive sexual content is there ONLY to offset the fact that they've made a half-assed game.

As for the guy that posted the AT3 and the Eternal Sonata? screens, that doesn't change what i said does it? Yeah, the 3D graphics may not be great quality as others, but does this mean you will say they are bad?

" I didn't found the graphics of this game appealing at all, compared to other games i've played, the graphics of Ar Tonelico 3 are really low quality, i would recommend to check Screens before getting the game to see if they would appeal to you, but i really thing GUST could had done better"

There, a lot better than just saying "The graphics were "ugly" compared to what we have seen.

Do you understand what you are saying? The entire purpose of reviewing the game's graphics and evaluating them is to compare them to other, similar games and graphics in general on the syste and say how they stack up. The fact is, a nearly four-year old game ported from another system looks better than this game, which is full price and brand new. So YES, they ARE bad graphics. And she shouldn't have to say "compared to other games" or "recommend that someone check screens." That's common sense. What else could she possibly be comparing the graphics to, an Atari 2600 game? The review is supposed to state her opinion based on the facts of the game, and the fact is, the graphics are ugly.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #394 on: March 12, 2011, 01:21:28 AM »

On a related, but non-related topic...

I haven't played AT1 or 2, so I'm guessing that I would have no idea what was going on if I played this one?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 12, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »

I haven't played AT1 or 2, so I'm guessing that I would have no idea what was going on if I played this one?

It sounds like you'd be better off ignoring it and going to AT1 and 2. Or just ignoring it period, whichever.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »

It will be a bit overwhelming at first.

Did you play FFXIII?  Think of how within the first hour they throw about a dozen terms at you with no definitions other than what's in the encyclopedia.  It's like that, except with more terms and a more in-depth encyclopedia.  It might actually be better to compare it to something like ME1.

Basically, expect some confusion when you start, and expect to be spending time reading the encyclopedia, otherwise you won't understand what's going on.  If you don't understand, the game comes off as purely fanservice when there's a lot more to it than that.
puzzl

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: March 12, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »

Right... I never said all your staff was bad, or they dont do a good job, i only said i liked Pat's reviews more, if that's a sin, then im a sinner, if i like a singer more than other, does this means the others are bad? No.

And insulting me won't change that either.... Either putting your rage at Ar Tonelico 3, the only thing i thought that was bad, is the review, is ok if you didnt liked the game, but if you are a good reviewer, you will just state things as they are, there are many, many interests in the world.

I also never said that Kim should change her Review, i just stated my point of view... I actually like some of her other reviews, for example, Ghost Trick was really well made. And there are many others...

*sigh* all this constant rage might by why i stop posting on these forums, if you cant take a little critique...

Tell you what, I'll help keep you away.

OK, wow, banning a member for stating a contrary opinion (and never getting even close to heated) while your own staff member calls him an idiot is just totally ridiculous. No way I'll be supporting this site in the future; time to switch to RPGamer. Is this really how you want to represent yourself?

Go fuck yourself.  It's one thing to say that your opinions align with Patrick's when it comes to reviews, but it's another to say that my staff doesn't do a good job.  You claim you don't want to offend, but that statement proves otherwise.  Eat a dick.

Been on the fence with this site for ages anyway; this makes the decision real easy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:47 AM »

John may've been hot tempered, but WildArms was being a jerk. Calling into question her competence and familiarity with the series despite opening the review STATING her opinions there, arguing over trivial crap, and using pretty bad logic all around. At best he was insulting and didn't even realize it.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:21 AM »

Okay, enough of that.  I'm more than happy to answer questions about the game, I played through  the bad, the normal Finnel ending, and the true Finnel ending.  If you come at me respectfully, I'll do the same.  I will always respect a good rational argument, but the stuff that was being pointed out (and mostly assumed) wasn't making a rational argument.  I'll tell you what, come back here when you play the game, and we can chat about it.  I'm really interested to see how you feel about going back and forth to this one maze like dungeon upwards five times.  The game starts off alright enough - but then progressively gets worse, especially in Phase III and IV.  They're absolutely awful, especially in terms of gameplay, design, and story.  As I said before, I wanted to like the game, but it's such a step back for the series.  I also said it's worth a playthrough if you've been following the series - it's a conclusion and it's decent at that.  I loved some of the connections from past games, even if I felt there could have been more.  But, for all I found that was acceptable with the game, there were a lot of bad elements that were impossible to ignore.  I wouldn't feel right not pointing them out - even if you took all the innuendo out - it had its problems.  I went out of my way to make it known that there were interesting character relationships and the cosmospheres still stand strong.  And like I said before, a series should be taking steps forward not back when it comes to its final entry.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:45:38 AM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #400 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »

Yeah, his sexism was probably what was most offensive to me. Which actually might explain why he might find the blatant objectification of women in AT3 "funny." So maybe it is his kind of game.

Puzzl, sorry if you're offended, but you can't argue that (as Eusis said) at best, he was being offensive and not even realizing it. People work hard around here because they love RPGs and to have him call into question her qualifications and competency is not something that John (or I) am willing to tolerate.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:13 AM »

If we banned people for difference of opinion, there would be no one left.

Your buddy can enjoy the game all he wants, but the way he went about disagreeing with the review was awfully disrespectful. You only get what you give.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: March 12, 2011, 05:25:08 AM »

OK, wow, banning a member for stating a contrary opinion (and never getting even close to heated) while your own staff member calls him an idiot is just totally ridiculous. No way I'll be supporting this site in the future; time to switch to RPGamer. Is this really how you want to represent yourself?
Oh no. We'll lose the one page hit per week and one post per two months. How ever will we go on without the mighty puzzl (sic) reading our site? We might as well close the site down now! Puzzl (sic) is the epitome of sexist RPG enthusiasts and not having him read our site dooms us to obscurity!

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: March 12, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »

The eat a dick comment made me think of that mega ten demon between two slices of italian bread...

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: March 12, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »

Comparing the AT series on music alone, AT3 is certainly the worst of the lot.

I've not yet played AT3, and I am not personally put off by innuendo when it is offset with good gameplay and a deep storyline. But if all this game has going for it is innuendo, count me un-interested. Most importers I know who have played the whole series tend to agree that this is, by far, the worst of the three.

I put my money on Kim being right about everything in her review.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: