Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334782 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 87923 times)
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: March 12, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »

I really can't wrap my head around why school girls and the best thing since sliced bread.  Speaking at times, it seems like their anime is taken more seriously than even their movie industry, you'd think there would be more interesting stuff floating around.

Aside from children's and family oriented anime, there's little mainstream demand. The rest can be somewhat comparable to the comic/graphic novel industry in the US.

The problem with the latter is that they're unable to monetize it well. Nowadays, most TV shows air very late at night, so there's no money made on broadcast (the production companies pay for the slots themselves....there's no outside sponsorship). Since the business model consists of selling expensive DVDs and related merchandise, the otaku who really get into the characters are often the only ones willing to pay.

In the end, it's a vicious circle. As the anime industry shrinks, producers target the paying customers more. However, this in turn narrows the type of content that's available, making it difficult to attract new fans. Unless things change, the industry will gradually creep toward death.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

Anime and RPGs are drowing in damp otaku tissues.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: March 12, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »

Anime and RPGs are drowing in damp otaku tissues.

....damp from what kind of fluid....?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »

Don't be coy Dice.

You know what I mean.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: March 12, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »

I have to say this: Dice and Starmongoose's convo is how Ar tonelico used to be!  Coy, but you got the innuendo.  I'm not sure how the series lost its way, but it did.  Maybe they felt people weren't getting the jokes without screaming them in their face, but there's nothing left up to the imagination in Qoga.  Do you like the comedian who makes those over the top, ultra obvious, in your face jokes or do you appreciate some subtlety and wit?

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: March 12, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »

Reading this thread might actually be better than playing the game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »

Do you like the comedian who makes those over the top, ultra obvious, in your face jokes or do you appreciate some subtlety and wit?

I don't know, but I usually enjoy watching George Carlin.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: March 12, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »

I did read Kstar's review and agreed with her on why AT3 would be bad, but... It seems like something I'd really like. Too bad my plans to get a PS3 fell through. Now I'll just have to live with trying to find the original two Ar Tonelinco's. Woe is me.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: March 12, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

I have to say this: Dice and Starmongoose's convo is how Ar tonelico used to be!  Coy, but you got the innuendo.  I'm not sure how the series lost its way, but it did.  Maybe they felt people weren't getting the jokes without screaming them in their face, but there's nothing left up to the imagination in Qoga.  Do you like the comedian who makes those over the top, ultra obvious, in your face jokes or do you appreciate some subtlety and wit?

It's just Japan these days imo.  What used to be subtle fanservice is now blatant boobies in the face.*

Source:  Most anime produced in the last couple of years.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »

Either way, I'm curious as to why Gust has been going for a younger look recently.  I mean, obviously to appease some of their fans, but when you compare it to more of the original games, I'd say the design quality has gone down, despite actually visually looking better.  If you compare earlier Gust games, like Marie and Elie, they looked young, but not like 13-year olds.  Judie and Violet both look much older, by at least 3-4 years.  Then compare that design to the new Atelier game's design, where the heroine looks 12 or so (well, in the defense of Gust, she might possibly be 12).
It's more than something just happening in Ar tonelico, but in their flagship Atelier as well.

I think part of the new character design thing may have to do with the 3d modeling. While I'm not trying to defend it, it you look at the male characters, they tend to look pretty young for some reason as well, and the ingame graphics, at least for Atelier Rorona have a bit of a chibi thing going on.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: March 12, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »

Either way, I'm curious as to why Gust has been going for a younger look recently.  I mean, obviously to appease some of their fans, but when you compare it to more of the original games, I'd say the design quality has gone down, despite actually visually looking better.  If you compare earlier Gust games, like Marie and Elie, they looked young, but not like 13-year olds.  Judie and Violet both look much older, by at least 3-4 years.  Then compare that design to the new Atelier game's design, where the heroine looks 12 or so (well, in the defense of Gust, she might possibly be 12).
It's more than something just happening in Ar tonelico, but in their flagship Atelier as well.

I think part of the new character design thing may have to do with the 3d modeling. While I'm not trying to defend it, it you look at the male characters, they tend to look pretty young for some reason as well, and the ingame graphics, at least for Atelier Rorona have a bit of a chibi thing going on.

^This. Somehow I don't think it's so much they're trying to use younger character as it is something gets lost in translation between the 2D design team and the 3D modeling team. Atelier Rorona is a perfect example of this.

Compare this, in which the character looks 8 freaking years old to this, where she looks at least 13-15ish.

It's possible the "10 year old" look may have not been the design team's intention.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »

I was actually referring to the art, not the character models.  The designs have gotten younger, even when compared to the Iris series which is only 5-7 years old.  Viese didn't look 13 in Iris 2 and other than Iris herself she's the cloest we got to a traditional "Atelier heroine" in the subseries.

Compare the below of the same character by what I mean by making characters look younger.  The one from CE has definitely lost a year or two.  The same thing happened with AT1's characters in CE.
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Cross_Edge/art-015.jpg
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/marie.gif

Also, Atelier Lilie.
http://www.ncsx.com/www/ncs061801/Thursday/atelier_lillie_front.jpg

In understand the younger looks is a trend.  A trend I don't particularly enjoy, especially since Gust has and has had some amazing artists working for it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:50:11 PM by Cyril » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »

^This. Somehow I don't think it's so much they're trying to use younger character as it is something gets lost in translation between the 2D design team and the 3D modeling team. Atelier Rorona is a perfect example of this.

Compare this, in which the character looks 8 freaking years old to this, where she looks at least 13-15ish.

It's possible the "10 year old" look may have not been the design team's intention.

Nah...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: March 12, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »

Nah...

I may be way off base in saying this: but I thought the SD graphics are a throwback to the SD-looking 2D sprites of yesteryear.

I thought Rorona's graphics were garbage.  I actually thought the 3D Rorona wasn't the same character as the actual Rorona - the model just looked to young..!
Totori finally did justice to Kishida Mel's art (only to have it thrown in the shitter again for direct K-ON-a-like, Sora no Woto....poor Kishida).

I personally have started to hate playing characters so many years younger than me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

I actually agree with Tooker's lower score even though I'm a big fan of the series.

Don't want to threadjack - just wanted to say thanks.  Good to know somebody has actually read at least one of my reviews. :)  And good to know you didn't think I was hating on it.  I had my issues with EO3, but it's still a good game!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: