Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334691 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 87856 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »

I've gone through about 5 pages on this thread and that review of it particularly to find out one thing.
How well is it translated?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »

I didn't play the JP version, but as far as NISA localizing it for NA, they did a solid job.  There's a lot of dialogue in Qoga, and it's amazing the quality job they were able to do.  Everything makes sense and aside from the occasional typo (and I mean a really small number), there's not much to fault at all.  It's on par with their solid translation of Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~ (which was another text heavy game).

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, I read an interview back where NISA said they stayed pretty true to the JP script.  Also, they made some changes to a certain character... You know what?  I found the link, it's a pretty interesting read: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/18/nis-america-answers-your-ar-tonelico-qoga-questions/

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:06:52 AM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: March 13, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »

Heh, it couldn't have be any worse than AT2's at the very least. XD Now that was a horrid translation job. Completely forgetting to translate text. XP

I didn't play the JP version, but as far as NISA localizing it for NA, they did a solid job.  There's a lot of dialogue in Qoga, and it's amazing the quality job they were able to do.  Everything makes sense and aside from the occasional typo (and I mean a really small number), there's not much to fault at all.  It's on par with their solid translation of Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~ (which was another text heavy game).

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, I read an interview back where NISA said they stayed pretty true to the JP script.  Also, they made some changes to a certain character... You know what?  I found the link, it's a pretty interesting read: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/18/nis-america-answers-your-ar-tonelico-qoga-questions/

Ugh, that article depresses me. I actually liked hearing a girly voice coming from scary looking Mute. Having her sound more butch is so...so...not as funny/charming.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:24:03 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »

Yeah, rest assured there were no glitches like the battle glitch in the second game.  I did have the game freeze my PS3 a couple of times, though, nothing  big or major.  

Mute is a very interesting character.   I get why they wanted to make her voice manly, and honestly, I think they thought it would be funny, but I can't say they were entirely successful there.  Mute is a character I have really mixed emotions about...not sure I like how the character was presented, but Mute is hands down one of the more unique characters to hit the game.  Really loved the story there.  I don't think Mute necessarily needed an overdone manly voice, though.  I really want to hear all your impressions when Mute comes on screen for the first time - Mute definitely leaves an impression on you!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:46:18 AM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:44 AM »

Those descriptions of Mute make me think of v-13 except she sounds like that in english too.
So scary/mysterious looking but sounds ridiculously cute and bubbly.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »

looking for the 1st two games?

check out here

http://store.nisamerica.com/Games/PlayStation-2
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »

Maan, those are good prices. I wish I had an NTSC PS2 :(

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »

What I would give for a PAL Mana Khemia 2 :(

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: March 14, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »

I didn't read the entire thread (in fact, I only read the tail end of the argument).  I don't even post here anymore.  But I just thought I'd show up to say this: I can't believe you banned WildArms over something this silly.  Not to mention the way the RPGFan editor responded would've gotten HIM banned on any other site.  Disgraceful.  As moderators, you have a duty to not use your banning powers for selfish reasons.

I had my own issues with the review--but it looks like RPGFan doesn't value dissent.  A pity.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:06:14 AM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 14, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »

I didn't read the entire thread (in fact, I only read the tail end of the argument).  I don't even post here anymore.  But I just thought I'd show up to say this: I can't believe you banned WildArms over something this silly.  Not to mention the way the RPGFan editor responded would've gotten HIM banned on any other site.  Disgraceful.  As a moderator, you have a duty to not use your banning powers for selfish reasons.

I had my own issues with the review--but it looks like RPGFan doesn't value dissent.  A pity.

Perhaps you should read more of the thread then - it seems to be a terribly common misconception that the guy was banned just for disagreeing. That wasn't the case. If it was, a few people here would have been banned as we've had many disagreements here with the review. The difference is how they went about voicing it.

Now, if we're done talking about the ban -- the game is out in a couple of days. Then people can play it for themselves and agree or disagree with Kim's review all they wish.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »

I think telling him to eat a dick was probably too much, but banning him probably not since he was supposedly going to leave permanently anyway.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #461 on: March 14, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »

You're absolutely right.

I put forth an apology earlier in the thread, but I will repeat here:

I'm just a person and I make mistakes, just like everyone.  I was frustrated at what I perceived to be an unwarranted criticism of the writing of my fellow RPGFan staff members.  I got frustrated, and the things that I said were not only out of hand, they were a bit cruel.  I apologize again to WildArms and to the RPGFan community - I can't think of another time in my nine years at RPGFan that I've lost my cool like that, and it shouldn't have happened.  I can't go back and unsay the things that were said, but I have spoken to WildArms via e-mail; it's an unfortunate thing that I did what I did, but his IP ban has been lifted and his account ban will be automatically lifted within the next 24 hours.

I ask for the forgiveness of our community - while I may not agree with his assessments of the review, he is entitled to his opinions, and I do not wish for it to be assumed that he was banned for his opinions on Ar Tonelico.  I made a mistake, and I apologize for it.

Ar Tonelico Qoga releases this Tuesday; I recommend those that have interest in the title play it for themselves to make their own opinion of the game.

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to let me know via e-mail.

Thanks,
-John
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:59:38 AM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »

I respect someone who can own up to their mistakes.  I'm glad the affair was straightened out.

As for Ar tonelico 3...the game's been getting bad press all around.  Even in Japan, the reviews were less favorable than usual.  One possibility: the game really doesn't live up to its predecessors.  A second possibility: the transition to the PS3 has resulted in inflated expectations.  I expect the "truth" is somewhere inbetween: GUST made too many changes to the formula and ended up with a less than polished product because of it.  In addition, the game is now faced with a far more critical crowd than the previous two games met.  I see people complaining about elements in Ar tonelico 3 that were very much present in the previous 2 games.  NISA calls it "Qoga", not 3...but that's just marketing.  This game is for people who played and liked the previous 2 games.

It should come with a sign:

Here there be moe.  Otaku: Welcome back.  All others: Turn back now.

I have a feeling this game will let me down a bit.  Nonetheless, it's Ar tonelico.  As long as the core elements from the original are there, I can't not like this game.  This series was made for me.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:58 AM »

magusgs, I think you're right on about it.  There were a lot of changes and most of them weren't for the better.  I felt letdown by this entry.  I think the series is better than what it gave here, and since it was the final entry, I really wanted it to go out with its best effort.  It didn't succeed for me.  As I noted in my review, it's a game that's worth playing if you played the others, but definitely not the series' strongest entry.  However, the unique character relationships will get you through some of the trying points in the game  I also enjoyed seeing some familiar faces.  I just remember when the credits rolled after I got the true ending, I just had this letdown feeling of "that's it?!that's how the series is going out?"  I wanted more...it's not the worst ending in a game at all, especially if you go for the true, but not as powerful as it could have been.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »

Hello again, first of all, i gotta say i already talked with John through e-mails and cleared everything up, i would like to apologize Ms. Kim if what i said might made you feel insulted --That was not what i wanted do (John didnt told me to do this btw, just in case xD), as i said before, i like your reviews, and i thought (i may be wrong) that you didnt put as much attention as you put to other games, with this one. I'm not english native speaker so i might have missused some words.

Also, i wont take my word back with most of the things i said, but i respect your review, and that is all there is to it.

It seems there was some misunderstanding with what i said though... Regarding to what i said that a woman might not enjot as much as a man (the gender part of what i said). (even if this was the part that barely bothered me, but yeah, some people insulted me because they got the wrong opinion)

I gave that as an example, i said that she seemed to only focus on the sexual part of the game, and the only reason i can see why was that, may be because she is a woman (i might be wrong), i dont know how Ms. Kim is or how her tastes are, this is just the point of view of some guy that read the review. People really took that part in the wrong direction--the part i cared the less, what i wanted was a more fair review not based on asthetics and sexual innuendo, Ar Tonelicoīs story is bigger than what you can imagine, and it have a lot more aspects to enjoy.

When i talked about male/female thing, was to refer that is normal for some girls dont enjoy this part that much, but not because of that they should base all the review on that (again, my point of view, this was just my assumption, this is how i felt after reading the review, haven't played the game, and i really think that a guy wouldnt normally hold that much this part of the game). This was just my point of view after reading the review. Never said that women cant enjoy these kind of things. But i seriously think that a womanīs point of view is a lot different than a manīs, so this must influence even if its just a bit. And is ok, i just felt it was way too much (sorry im repeating myself, i really want to make this clear)

PLEASE dont take this on the wrong side either, this is just my point of view.

I might come again once i get the game to talk about how i felt when i played the game, ive read a lot that it isnt as good as the games before, but i guess i will find out soon.

Sorry if someone felt insulted with what i said, dont think i might come back that much to the forums after that anyhow.

And hi Magus, been a while :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:36:53 PM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: