Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 11:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331575 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Ar tonelico 3 coming to the PS3 January 2010  (Read 86466 times)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »

Thanks for writing that WildArms and I apologize for being as harsh as I was back.  I'd just like to say that the sexual content was not the reason for my score.  Gust made a lot of changes to this entry and I disliked a lot of them.  It didn't seem to measure up to past entries.  This was a hard review to write.  I don't like writing negative reviews, but I felt really letdown by the series.  As I've said, it just felt like a step back for it.  I still stand by that the script could have been stronger, some characters could have been more memorable, and I always push for a series to be better than its last offering.  I really hope you play the game and like it, I'm being honest here - I don't want you to feel as disappointed as I did.  There's nothing worse than anticipating a game and it just being as strong as it could have been. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »

I never got the impression from the review that Kim got hung up on the sexual stuff. I do think she would have failed horribly if she neglected to mention it though. When a game employs ripping off girl's clothes as a tactical advantage in battle and text that stops just shy of slapping someone in the face with a dick, I think demnds a fair amount of the review be given to explain just where all this comes from, why it's in the game, and what impact it has.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »

When a game employs ripping off girl's clothes as a tactical advantage in battle...

Curiousity: Why aren't people up in arms over this in The 3rd Birthday? I've mentioned before that the game is crap because it forces you to parade near-naked Aya around on screen via the automatic HP=Clothing system and been told I'm over reacting. But here in AT3 the clothes stripping element is optional and has to be manually engaged by the player; yet people keep citing that as a reason the game needs to take a hit.

Then again the T3B topic has people over the moon about naked Aya in the shower so...I'll be darned if I ever understand the way people's minds work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:40:04 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »

I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with T3B.  We're supposed to be receiving our reviewable for that game this week; I'm interested to see how it stacks up.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »

From what I've been reading around the topics and news articles it's, rather interestingly, pretty much AT3 in a different form.

Forcefully de-aged female protagonist/s, dumbed down story (with an incredibly bull-crap ending), poor characters, decrease in combat quality, and a stripping element integrated into the game mechanics.

The only difference is one's optional, one's not.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:48:35 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »

Curiousity: Why aren't people up in arms over this in The 3rd Birthday?

Age. A lot of what's bothering people with games like this is that it's a general tend for what look like very young girls to be sexualized, whereas even de-aged Aya looks to be in here 20s, MAYBE late teens at worst. AND there are people frustrated by the sexualizing there too, so it's not like The 3rd Birthday's considered completely kosher and AT3 isn't, but rather that AT3 has that extra layer that makes it disconcerting.

Plus you can argue it's optional in the 3rd Birthday by just playing really well and never getting HP so low as to be running around nearly naked!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

Curiousity: Why aren't people up in arms over this in The 3rd Birthday?

Age. A lot of what's bothering people with games like this is that it's a general tend for what look like very young girls to be sexualized, whereas even de-aged Aya looks to be in here 20s, MAYBE late teens at worst. AND there are people frustrated by the sexualizing there too, so it's not like The 3rd Birthday's considered completely kosher and AT3 isn't, but rather that AT3 has that extra layer that makes it disconcerting.

Plus you can argue it's optional in the 3rd Birthday by just playing really well and never getting HP so low as to be running around nearly naked!

Eh, whether it's 8 or 80 it shouldn't matter. Sexualized material is sexualized material. *shrugs* Then again I understand different societies try drawing different lines that people will accept and somehow justify it in their mind because everyone else is doing it. So that's a point I really won't press beyond stating my opinion.

Hypothetically; yes. But if pushed to a test that could be disproved quite easily. Just yank random gamers off the street til you had enough for a decent sample size (randomizing skill levels) and have both sets play both games with the condition "Do not make your protagonist nude in combat." AT3 would pass with a 100% rate (assuming what I've read is correct, for all I know there could be a battle where you're forced to go all the way; like how Replakia was forcefully engaged in an AT2 fight) where there would undeniably be failures for T3B; especially considering the poorly designed boss battles where damage will happen as an almost foregone conclusion.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 14, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »

What Eusis said, basically. Aya at least LOOKS legal age even with the 'de-aging,' and not ten years old.  Plus again, if you play well and take less damage, you won't see it! Mind you, the game's supposed to have some difficult parts. People ARE up in arms about the clothing damage. Although I think it's realistic to an extent, it's still tacky and a cheap excuse to strip Aya. Just like AT's 'lore' is (most likely) a lame excuse to put in underaged girls. The difference being I'll be buying 3B anyway because I love Parasite Eve.

The other thing with AT3 is it's not just the stripping in battle. It's the dialogue which I've heard a lot about and that Kim gave us an example of way earlier, that doesn't even try to hide anything.

Also if you read the T3B topic, NOT everyone was all excited about the shower scene. It's optional anyway, it can also be avoided.

Eh, whether it's 8 or 80 it shouldn't matter. Sexualized material is sexualized material. *shrugs*

Except one age is legal and one is not. Personally, I don't care when I see most cleavage/panty shots - but the discomfort sets in when they don't even look like they;ve hit puberty.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:25:19 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »

When a game employs ripping off girl's clothes as a tactical advantage in battle...

Curiousity: Why aren't people up in arms over this in The 3rd Birthday? I've mentioned before that the game is crap because it forces you to parade near-naked Aya around on screen via the automatic HP=Clothing system and been told I'm over reacting. But here in AT3 the clothes stripping element is optional and has to be manually engaged by the player; yet people keep citing that as a reason the game needs to take a hit.

Then again the T3B topic has people over the moon about naked Aya in the shower so...I'll be darned if I ever understand the way people's minds work.
For the record, I think that's pretty retarded too. I won't pick up that game either, but the age difference really sends At3 from tasteless to outrageous. I'm glad the game is getting so much flack. I hope we can somehow encourage develpors to knock this crap off, or at the very least, not import it.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »

Thanks for writing that WildArms and I apologize for being as harsh as I was back.  I'd just like to say that the sexual content was not the reason for my score.  Gust made a lot of changes to this entry and I disliked a lot of them.  It didn't seem to measure up to past entries.  This was a hard review to write.  I don't like writing negative reviews, but I felt really letdown by the series.  As I've said, it just felt like a step back for it.  I still stand by that the script could have been stronger, some characters could have been more memorable, and I always push for a series to be better than its last offering.  I really hope you play the game and like it, I'm being honest here - I don't want you to feel as disappointed as I did.  There's nothing worse than anticipating a game and it just being as strong as it could have been. 

Cool, thanks for understanding then!, and alright, i will be checking it out once i get it :)

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »

Eh, whether it's 8 or 80 it shouldn't matter.

You just blew my mind.

I don't know what thread you've read but T3B got a lot of heat here when that feature was revealed, it's all there, you just have to read it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: March 14, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »

I hope we can somehow encourage develpors to knock this crap off, or at the very least, not import it.

Seeing how Criminal Girls is getting localized... I think not.

EDIT: Who's going to review that one? It's an RPG =P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:53:13 PM by Annubis » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 14, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

I hope we can somehow encourage develpors to knock this crap off, or at the very least, not import it.

Seeing how Criminal Girls is getting localized... I think not.

EDIT: Who's going to review that one? It's an RPG =P

Is it being localized? I haven't heard anything.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »

Oh wait, your right. I thought I saw something about that.
Maybe it was a dream... a very naughty dream where I spank naked F cup lolis.

I still want it to be localized, just so I can laugh at every reviewer who gets assigned to it.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 14, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »

How cruel you are. :-P

It's really iffy at this point. I looked up its JP date and it's been out since November there.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: