Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338029 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Most under-rated games ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Most under-rated games ever?  (Read 18177 times)
Megalixir
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »

No I'm not linking a list of any sort. I'm just curious about what games people believe to have been sorely under-rated. You know, those games you found awesome, but for some reason reviewers weren't sold, it didn't sell many copies, or maybe people just didn't realize it existed until it was out of print and thus lost forever. I have a few that pop to mind when I think of under-rated games, and it pains me when I think of the unlikelihood of them ever seeing the light of day again.

Resident Evil: Outbreak Files 1 and 2:

I'm not going to lie: I'm a huge Resident Evil fan. But even if I wasn't, I could see myself really digging these games. For those who don't know, RE:O was the name of Capcom's foray into Resident Evil online. You could play as 1 of 8 different characters, who each had different stats, abilities, item space, etc. You could team up with up to 3 other people online to tackle a variety of scenarios Resident Evil style, do Boss rushes, time challenges, etc. And given the variety (and surprising balance) between all of the character types, and the different difficulties, I never found it to get old (especially when your team sucks and you end up finding yourself going it solo while your team-mates try to kill you as zombies ).

The games were hella fun and if the servers were still online, I know I'd still be going back for more. Reviewers unfortunately Found the lack of voice chat to be a problem (although I think it would have broken the atmosphere, and you still can talk to others with pre-set voice commands, although that can be a hassle sometimes admittedly), and pretty much gave it universal 7s. I blame the fact that PSN is a relatively weak online community for some of the failure as well. But the music was solid, story was well done, gameplay was unbelievably fun and usually pretty hectic, and there were tons of unlockables for replay value and online rankings. I wish it still had the servers up

Devil May Cry 2:

Just kidding. This game is terribad.

Chrono Cross:

Let's get this out of the way: Although technically a sequal to Chrono Trigger, it has very few tie ins to the original (you probably won't notice any if you don't go diggin into the obscurities); the combat system is different, You travel between 2 different dimensions instead of time and instead of focusing on the back stories of several specific characters they kind of just throw a hundred randoms in your face and say go. But if you actually take the time to play the game and pay attention, you realize it's actually pretty damn good. There are branching points to obtain the same goal, the storyline for the world kind of ties in subtly through tons of little pieces instead of the usual "I hear the king of that town across the ocean is actually a goblin" or some other blatant "go here" prod. But I found the combat system to be pretty awesome, and the ability to obtain a ton of different characters to add to the customizability of everything.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely no Chrono Trigger (definitely one of the best games ever made period), but I think if you renamed the game, it would have been received a lot better than it was.

Any games you guys think of to be sorely under-rated?
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »

I actually find Final Fantasy IX rather underrated. Most FF fans I've talked to have either never played it, or disliked it. FFVII, VIII and X seem to be the games getting the main attention from the fans. I guess FFIX is ignored so much because of it having a medieval setting like FFI-VI, and VII and VIII having the more sci-fi look. A lot of FF players started with VII, who would then go on with VIII, and then not be satisfied with IX because of the medieval setting rather than what they're used to. FFIX is definitely one of the best games in the series, if you ask me. I find that's the case because of it's setting, it's soundtrack, the nostalgia, and the ability system which is actually my favourite in the franchise.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

I could name plenty of PC RPGs, but I'll just go with Anachronox and Arx Fatalis. Well, they aren't really underrated, just not well known enough.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »

I'd agree with FF9 as well, though since this is in miscellaneous games I'll say

HYDRO THUNDER

for the Dreamcast

:D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »

Earthbound?

Does Star Ocean: 2nd Story count as underrated? :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »

Earthbound's not really under-rated.  Pretty much everybody who has played it agrees that it's fantastic.

And am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that so many people feel the need to add statements like "Don't get me wrong, Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever made" when talking about Chrono Cross?  It feels like they're just tacking it on because they "have to".  CT sucked, and it's alright to just say it!

I'm going to have to toss Okage: Shadow King out there.  Game was fantastic, I equate it as the Earthbound of the PS2 era, but a lot of people wouldn't even try it because of it's art style and graphics, and a lot of the people who DID play it couldn't get past the archaic battle system.  But underneath those things is a really amazing and wonderful game with some of the best dialogue and story ideas I've seen, pretty much ever.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »

Earthbound?
If you're talking about the press, maybe. If you're talking about online appreciation however then Starmen.net disproves you.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:56 AM »

And am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that so many people feel the need to add statements like "Don't get me wrong, Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever made" when talking about Chrono Cross?  It feels like they're just tacking it on because they "have to".  CT sucked, and it's alright to just say it!

No, no it's not, because it didn't. Subjectively you may not have liked it, but then you like Baroque, a game most people feel is dated and boring. To each their own in terms of taste I suppose. However, Chrono Trigger is an example of excellent game design, beloved by millions, and made by some very talented people working on all cylinders.

As to the topic: Underrated has such a weird connotation for me. I don't think most games ARE underrated, even if they do poorly in the marketplace. Sure, something like Grim Fandango went way under the radar for the public, but it received plenty of critical acclaim and most gamers love it. A better term may be "obscure gems" perhaps? That at least I can get behind. Things like Pop'n Music have gone largely unrecognised on this side of the ocean for years now, despite being fantastic.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »

I too always thought underrated was something along the lines of "a game everyone thinks is utter tripe, but is actually good."  Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grim Fandango, for example, may have been underhyped, under-known, under the radar, not played by enough people, and all that, but everyone who played them, gamers and critics alike, think they are some of the finest examples of their respective genres.  Not underrated, but certainly under'hyped' for lack of a better term.  

By that definition, I think Wild Arms XF was grossly underrated by critics.  Every critic chastised the game for IMO nonsense reasons.  Every review was negative because "it wasn't like FFT."  The game was good.  I liked it a lot, and was honestly surprised that other critics didn't like it as much as I did.  Players really liked the game too and thought most critics who panned it were on wacky gas or something.  

I think Secret of Evermore is vastly underrated too.  Forget about the whole Mana contraversy and just sit down with an open mind and play Secret of Evermore.  It's a fun little RPG that I feel got a bad rap.  

And the "-ratedness" of Anachronox kinda evens out depending on who you talk to.  Dedicated PC gamers say it sucks because it played too much like that "Japanese-ish junk."  And dedicated console JRPG players likely wouldn't give it a chance because it was gaijin-American.  Reviews were generally favorable, and the game has a strong and loyal fanbase.  That game is easily one of my all time favorite Japanese-style RPGs, and what I would call a sleeper hit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:27:28 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »

SoE's definitely a fitting example, Dinny. I've loved that game for years, but people either haven't heard about it, or think it's some ripoff/reject of the Mana series.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »

SoE's definitely a fitting example, Dinny. I've loved that game for years, but people either haven't heard about it, or think it's some ripoff/reject of the Mana series.

While SoE wasn't that bad, it had some serious issues. The random difficulty jumps and how horribly balanced the game was come to mind. I honestly don't remember what kind of reviews it got back then though.

On topic, two other games that I think of, Psi Ops : The Mindgate Conspiracy. This thing was one of the funnest action game I had played in years, the way you could handle and use your powers was really fun and original. Well, it did get decent reviews, but it went under the radar and deserved to be more popular.

The other one would be Rule of Rose, a horror game, and I don't think I've seen such a good atmosphere in a game of that genre. The gameplay was definitely subpar,  but I really think the rest of the game totally made up for it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »

Shantae.

I also want to say the Blazer trilogy but I think that Terranigma has been pretty well covered. Still I do feel that Illusion of Gaia/Time was very good at the time but isn't as well remembered as it could have been.

And Secret of Evermore also had bugs pertaining to loop-around stats acquired through shenanigans involving the Defense and Atlas formulas. Also alchemy formulas themselves were largely redundant to each other. You had like three different fire based alchemic formulas of varying levels but due to inheriting SoM's weapon/skill level system the changes were mostly superficial since you could hit the damage limit with each. Also since there weren't any elemental effects or resistances the only real difference between formulas were cost and rarity of the material needed to cast. This basically meant that the Crush formula was the best attack formula due to the fact that it was one of the few formulas that you could carry 99 uses of at any given time and the material themselves were cheap and easy to come across early in the game, giving you ample time to grind it to a reasonable level.

On the plus side it did have that bizarre bazaar trading sequence.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

I'd go with Tomba!

Probably the best 2D platforming action RPG for me.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »

God, Tomba was so good. I must have rented that game a bunch of times just to complete everything.

Hey KillerArmoire, you know Shantae is getting a sequel right?

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »

I'll throw in another vote for Secret of Evermore, and Okage The Shadow King, for the same things mentioned.

And to throw in my own thought, I think Maken X was pretty underrated..... Unless there's a lot more people than I thought that actually enjoyed it. I thought it was a unique, fresh, and fun experience. Not too positive on how it was received though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: