Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 07:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Most under-rated games ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Most under-rated games ever?  (Read 17739 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »

Legend of Legaia. Who gives a shit about its graphics? Seriously, it had an awesome battle system

I kind of wished XG's battle system worked like LoL's. XG's battle system was like a very, very, very simplistic version of LoL's.

As for SD2 and SoE's magic, both of them had more useless than useful spells, and it was a pain to get either of them leveled up. Also I thought SD2's multiplayer was just *bad* and I don't think single-screen multiplayer ever really works that well for RPGs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »

Legend of Legaia. Who gives a shit about its graphics? Seriously, it had an awesome battle system

I kind of wished XG's battle system worked like LoL's. XG's battle system was like a very, very, very simplistic version of LoL's.

I didn't have as much of an issue with XG's ground battles as I did with its mech battles. After learning how to spam that chick's beams, it was pretty smooth sailing, but otherwise it was very clunky.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »

Infinite Undiscovery

Infinite Undiscovery

That game isn't underrated. In fact, it's rated quite accurately as complete and utter shit.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »

I didn't have as much of an issue with XG's ground battles as I did with its mech battles. After learning how to spam that chick's beams, it was pretty smooth sailing, but otherwise it was very clunky.

Well I mean, in the sense that LoL had an actual combo system whereas XG's was more like a fancy menu system for picking attacks, and LoL had, uh, that thing where flying or short enemies were impervious to high or low kicks (which SH:C later had!), or various other nifty details.

The real crime of XG's gear battles is not having compartmentalized damage like Metal Saga or Front Mission. I mean, what if you could've blown off an enemy gear's ARMS or something to disable it?

Then again I think XG would've made a lot more sense as a linear strategy RPG anyway. You can't put FUCKING PLATFORMING BITS in a strategy game.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »

As for SD2 and SoE's magic, both of them had more useless than useful spells, and it was a pain to get either of them leveled up. Also I thought SD2's multiplayer was just *bad* and I don't think single-screen multiplayer ever really works that well for RPGs.

Granted both had more than their share of useless spells (given that they were both made by Squaresoft (kinda)) but SD2's magic had at least one spell per element that was generally useful, whereas Evermore's alchemy only ever really needed Crush and one of the many Healing formulas (and possibly the Defense and Atlas formulas should one desire to break the game).

I basically see SD2 not as a golden standard but as an rough, unpolished gem. Sure there were bugs, glitches, and general design flaws, but the potential for growth was there too. A potential that was tragically ignored in an effort to focus on the fluffy character building aspects of SD3 and eventually to redefine itself at every turn (a trait that, while noble in intent, can be horribly executed as the case was for that World of Mana compilation). Repetition itself isn't necessarily a bad thing when perfecting ideas just as long as it isn't taken to the extreme, just like redefinition isn't a bad thing if used for innovation rather than for the sake of spamming genres with the same flawed game seen by said genre over and over.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »

Has The Red Star been mentioned? I know it has it's fans, but I can't remember the last time I heard someone talk about it.

Crush for the PSP also came and went without making much of an impact. I guess that's to be expected, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »

Crush for the PSP also came and went without making much of an impact. I guess that's to be expected, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I'll agree with this.  Crush was a really great puzzle game, but hardly anybody knows about it.  I guess the answer to that lies in it being a puzzle game, but still!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:39 AM »

Secret of Evermore

Yes.

Legend of Legaia

Yes.

Infinite Undiscovery

No.

Anyways, what does anyone think of Klonoa or the early Spyro games being underrated?

Spyro isn't really underrated. The first three games are really popular and enjoyable, while the rest after that are a load of balls. Klonoa on the other hand is extremely underrated. The first especially. It looks childish and all, but it's a beautiful and amazing game if you can get over the fact that you can beat it within a few hours.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:20:11 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »

I think Infinite Undiscovery's definitely been underrated in terms of simultaneous menu'ing, battlefield and item creation. Battles were a conglomeration of seizure-iffic colors and indescribable or obscure arms flailing, swords swiping and confusion. But. I definitely liked the simultaneous feel I felt better executed in this game than many others.
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »

Disclaimer:
I have not checked upon any official or un-official sales nor will every single game here be a  RPG.
End Disclaimer.

Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason (PC) - A fps/horror from a Ukraine-based developer. It was released in February here in Europe and July in NA, so it's somewhat new. It has a 65 I believe on Metacritic and I can't imagine alot of people know it (considering that I only found it like a week ago).
I would quite happily recommend it since the story is pretty deep and good and the gameplay/setting is somewhat original. It takes place on an abandoned Russian Nuclear ship in the middle of a storm. It has its faults though, it's extremely slow-paced (imagine survival-horror exploration rather then action-based gameplay), you need a computer from the future to properly run the game and the length should've been a tad shorter (due largely to the setting of the game). But overall, I liked it.

Haunting Ground (PS2) - Released in 2005. 65 or so on Metacritic. A survival-horror game from the same people behind Clock Tower series. Like them there is practically no combat, only (mostly rather) hiding. From what I've read people seem to either love it or hate it. I, for one, loved it. Mostly since it honestly creeped me out. The "horror" from the game comes from the over-sexualised (sp?) undertones from the villains of the game who all seem to want "something" from Fiona (the main character).

The Void (PC) - Only recently released so I can't imagine alot of people know it. From Ice-Pick Lodge (the creators of Pathologic if you've heard of that game). Basically, you play as a soul who's been trapped in the Void and has to use color to .. well ... do everything. To keep yourself alive, to battle the Brothers and other enemies (the guardians of the Sisters), to feed the Sisters (a group of naked women who give you goals and/or manipulate you to do their bidding) and (according to the manual atleast) try and escape from the Void and thus get your life back.

Those are the ones I remember right now. Perhaps these games are more obscure rather then being underrated but I'll still post them and see what you have to say.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »

If I had a decent PC I'd totally play Cryostasis.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

I really liked Haunting Ground. It's the no-combat, all-hide, peek-a-boo-i-see-you feel that makes it scary and jumpy.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »

BoF V: Dragon Quarter.

I will slap the taste out of people's mouths who hate that game. Blind faggots.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »

Haunting Ground reminds me of all those weird Haunted House dreams I had when I was younger, only get to to play with a dog while you're at it. I never got very far in that game, but I really should.

Also it doesn't use RE style movement so it immediately gets a million bonus points in MY book.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »

I've never minded the RE style control scheme. But I think people who've been using it for so long have developed certain tact and methods for dealing with "RE situations," so to speak. It's an old, out-dated method and only existed because of pre-rendered backgrounds. On the note of RE and underrated games though, I recall RE Gaiden on the Gameboy Color being pretty fun to my dismay Plus, you get to play as Barry. Everybody loves Barry.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babylon was fucking sweet in the same regards. Dunno if anybody really played it, but it had the same level of care put into it as any other Metal Gear title.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: