Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334707 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Most under-rated games ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Most under-rated games ever?  (Read 18043 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »

Also it doesn't use RE style movement so it immediately gets a million bonus points in MY book.

Try playing a game with pre-rendered backgrounds that DOESN'T use that control scheme.  The first Fatal Frame is a prime exmple, since you can actually use either control scheme.  It's nearly impossible to fight ghosts with "direct" analog control, but if you use the RE-style controls it's very smooth and easy.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »

Haunting Ground (PS2) - Released in 2005. 65 or so on Metacritic. A survival-horror game from the same people behind Clock Tower series. Like them there is practically no combat, only (mostly rather) hiding. From what I've read people seem to either love it or hate it. I, for one, loved it. Mostly since it honestly creeped me out. The "horror" from the game comes from the over-sexualised (sp?) undertones from the villains of the game who all seem to want "something" from Fiona (the main character).
I really liked Haunting Ground. It's the no-combat, all-hide, peek-a-boo-i-see-you feel that makes it scary and jumpy.

I agree on both counts. I used to always call it the "Escape a rape simulator" with a bunch of puzzles that can also kill you. :P But yeah, I like the whole no-combat thing. Looking forward to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on Wii for the same reason.

Also, I'm not quite sure how it was received, but I also enjoyed Rule of Rose, despite the awkward controls. That game was pretty cool.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »

I liked Rule of Rose too.
Code:
Freaky part was at the start when you're going to the house and the vomiting mermaid
Although I wish it had more stages. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »

Just since I've been playing it, Ragnarok. Actually, it's not so much underrated as it is... well, unknown. The reviews for it are pretty good. It's just nobody's played it. the only real disappointment for me is that I'm not sure you can wield the rubber chicken ala Nethack, and potions can't be tossed and weaponized. DISREGARDING the fact that it doesn't have Nethack's insane amount of interactivity, it does so much unique stuff for with the roguelike genre that I haven't really seen since. Additionally the setting is cool. There are different areas. Large areas. And they're actually different so it's not a ZAngband-style endless sprawling wilderness filled with identical dungeons.

And since I'm playing roguelikes right now, one of the things I really liked about Unlimited Saga was that it gave me the rather roguelike-ish option of bashing the hell out of a chest I couldn't otherwise open. Options I enjoy!!

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »

Did I mention Lux-Pain in this thread?  I'm willing to call that the most underrated game I've played in 2009.  It was insanely flawed (clunky interface, atrocious localization) but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It definitely had one of the more interesting stories I've played in a video game this year, and I liked the bonus scenes where Saijo just hangs out with people.  Normally, I'd rant like a crazy man about the game's flawed elements, but I was able to overlook them. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »

I really enjoyed Metal Saga a lot, even if I never got that far in it because of my cripplingly short attention span. I mean it lacked polish and I think I would've preferred a more serious plot because I'm an incredibly unfun person that doesn't like humor (and I think the game had an inherent creepiness to it that might've worked better with a serious story, or maybe not). Also I guess it was unbalanced. However, it was big and had lots of room to just dick around and find tanks. Basically, that, Steambot Chronicles, and Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song were all games that I'd Oblivion had been like, because they provided realer choice in a sense, as well as, uh... well MS and RS had a sense of *spontaneity* in the sense you could trigger some quests with little minimal interaction/they happened randomly, and MS has a lot of mystery and isn't really fully documented.

Everything about it though was like this huge throwback to DOS-era RPGs, like Ultima and Wasteland, too.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

^Seconded. Metal Saga is fantastic.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »

The moment I fought a unicycle with a knife taped to it as an enemy, I knew Metal Saga was going to be awesome.

I should probably finish that at some point.  I remember I got as far as the Church of Muscle and my game froze, and I never went back after that.  Maybe this weekend.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »

I think the humor in Metal Saga may have lent to the creepiness, looking back. It gets a very Star Control 2-esque uneasiness going. I mean, the dogs for instance. You find dogs with guns in microwaves! Cute! Then you go deeper in that dungeon and it turns into SGF Biolab levels of what-the-fuck-happened-here.

Also I want the soundtrack to that game. The overworld theme when you're in tanks is one of my favorite.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: