Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335180 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean On PSP what version PSP or PSX ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean On PSP what version PSP or PSX ?  (Read 1943 times)
wyvernshill

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »

Lo everyone,

I have never really played Star Ocean second evolution, i only played a few hours on the PSX and i wanted to try it now on my PSP.

Wich version do you recommend the PSX one or the new PSP port ?
I don't really mind the new cutscenes but one thing struck me and is really bugging me :

In the PSX version when claude mentions he's from EARTH Rena sais "Urth" wich means she didnt have a clue what it meant and i loved her way of trying to say "Earth", In the PSP version all that is gone and she just repeats "Earth" as "Earth".

Also when Rena's mother made the big meal she asks after the meal if he "REALLY liked it", he sais yes and she asks "Really, really ?" it made the characters more cute and added to their Character. In the new version she blandly sais "Are you a 100% sure" It just seems more bland and uninteresting.

I saw some animation differences as well, on the PSX version when u enter Rena's village you cross the bridge and you see a flock of Birds fly over reflected in the water, on the PSP there arent even any birds flying over.

Is this true for the rest of the game and what version do YOU (the rpg experts) recommend i should play ?
What are all the differences anyway between the two versions ?
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »

I believe the PSP port has an additional character (Welch) and voice overs.

If you want to stick to the classic feel, get the PSX version

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »

I dislike the new art enough that I'd just go for the PS1 version! Then again I'd probably feel differently if both versions were within my reach.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:31:00 PM by Eusis » Logged
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »

psp since is newer :P

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:43:52 PM »

I dislike the new art enough that I'd just go for the PS1 version! Then again I'd probably feel differently if both versions were within my reach.

My PS1 version always froze in the bonus dungeon, 5th or 6th floor. Screw that.

PSP version all the way.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »

My PS1 version always froze in the bonus dungeon, 5th or 6th floor. Screw that.

PSP version all the way.

Nice to hear I'm not alone.  I actually never finished the game because of my game freezing there.  (What can I say, I'm a completionist)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

If you can get past the moe-style anime character re-designs (I swear, they're even worse than the designs for the Star Ocean EX anime, and I actually enjoyed that) and the new character (who doesn't entirely suck), then the PSP version is essentially the same game with no bugs.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 11:54:05 PM »

Nice to hear I'm not alone.  I actually never finished the game because of my game freezing there.  (What can I say, I'm a completionist)

The same thing happened to me as well.  I haven't touched my PSX version since then.  Though I'm not a big fan of the PSP version's art, I much prefer the newer translation.
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »

I only played the PS1 version, but if I were you, I'll go with the better translation.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »

The new designs are fugly as hell. Plus the whole thing where the characters only use capital letters for their name. CLAUDE C. Kenny? That just looks idiotic. Finally, the new localization makes the script look full of nonsequiturs.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:45:05 PM »

Both versions have their drawbacks, and I would not say one is decidedly superior over the other.  I'd say just get whichever one is more cost effective for you. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

Unfortunately, I have never played the original PS1 version, so I really can't judge on which version is truly better.

However, from what I understand, the voices are obviously superior on the PSP version, as well as the translation. When it comes to artwork, probably The Second Story has it better, though I don't think either version's artwork is particularly brilliant or anything (Rena has the face of a male in the PS1 version, while she looks like a twelve year-old in the PSP version). The Second Evolution has bonus content too(including Welch as a joinable ally). Lastly, it would all come up to the rarity, and price. New (and possibly sealed) copies of The Second Evolution should still be around at some retailers. The Second Story has been extinct in retailers for quite some time now, and I've seen it for prices that are significantly higher than the retail of the PSP version. Unless you are wanting a retro game collection, then the PSP version might be a better purchase in terms of costs and such.

While I was over in Japan, I found second-hand copies of The Second Story a fair bit cheaper than Second Evolution in some game stores, but I doubt you'd see that anywhere else.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »

i would get the psp version just because the battle voices in the psx version were...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Gligarman

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:59 AM »

Well let's see. You can have bad voice acting throughout on the PSP, or you can have ear-hemorrhage inducing voice acting in small but frequent spurts on the PSX. Your call. But the PSP version can be played on the go, and you can always turn the volume off.

Jump to: