Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341140 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Racing Game Recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Racing Game Recommendation  (Read 3175 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »

Well, since my RPG recommendation thread, I've realised that I seriously do not have the time to devote to a story-based game. Fallout 3 is serving me very well in the RPG stakes when I play it once a month :P

So, with this more casual stance established, I'm craving a racing game. I have a 360 and PS3, and would prefer a PS3 game because I prefer the pad. But recommendations for either would be appreciated.

I've had DiRT 2 recommended to me (thanks Myau!), but I'm not sure if I fancy a rally game. Burnout Paradise is an option, but I'm not sure about the whole sandbox thing. The new Forza is just out, but I prefer a more arcadey game (hence Burnout) to a serious simulation style racer.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »

I actually second Dirt 2.  I rented it and loved it.  There are lots of different difficulty levels so if you like to win, you can always tone down the difficulty with no real consequences.  While it does have rally racing, it has other types of racing too.  There are a lot of different types of races and if you don't like one, you can avoid not doing it as much if you want.  I'd give it a try.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

Forza 3. The end.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »

Yeah, Burnout Paradise is one lots of people loved, but the sandbox thing kind of turned me off, too.  It's cool, but I just don't like it as much as the previous games.  You can get Burnout Revenge on the 360, and it's out-freakin' standing.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »

Gran Turismo 5?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »

Well, since my RPG recommendation thread, I've realised that I seriously do not have the time to devote to a story-based game. Fallout 3 is serving me very well in the RPG stakes when I play it once a month :P

So, with this more casual stance established, I'm craving a racing game. I have a 360 and PS3, and would prefer a PS3 game because I prefer the pad. But recommendations for either would be appreciated.

I've had DiRT 2 recommended to me (thanks Myau!), but I'm not sure if I fancy a rally game. Burnout Paradise is an option, but I'm not sure about the whole sandbox thing. The new Forza is just out, but I prefer a more arcadey game (hence Burnout) to a serious simulation style racer.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

If you like the Dirt 2 demo, but don't want rally, get GRID.  It's the same developers, but it's a street racing game.  Midnight Club: Los Angeles is also a great arcade racing game, and it should only cost around $30 (I don't know how much that is in your fancy currency).

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »

Well I've looked at a few reviews, and at the moment DiRT 2 is the most appealing. I didn't realise that they'd changed the Colin McRae series into an actual racer, as well as a rally game. I'm downloading the demo on PSN now.

I'm still really tempted by Burnout Paradise, because I friggin' love Burnout. But the whole 'find your own route' thing doesn't appeal to me at all.

I had a stupid dream

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »

Well I've looked at a few reviews, and at the moment DiRT 2 is the most appealing. I didn't realise that they'd changed the Colin McRae series into an actual racer, as well as a rally game. I'm downloading the demo on PSN now.

Yep.  There are a few homages to Colin in the game.  I'll keep what they are a surprise.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:08 AM »

I'm still really tempted by Burnout Paradise, because I friggin' love Burnout. But the whole 'find your own route' thing doesn't appeal to me at all.

It's far simpler and actually a whole lot more fun in practice than in theory, dude. Burnout Paradise is easily one of the most fun experiences I've had with a racer. Toss this in next to my Forza 3 recommendation.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »

Burnout is actually pretty spiffy, there's a "recommended" route that shows up.  Your car's turn signal will turn on when it's coming up to the recommended turn, and the street sign at the top will flash.  So there's no arrow, but it's how the game says you'll get to the target quickest.  This might be the week to buy it as a download, too.  I don't know how it is in the UK, but it's on sale this week on PSN in the US.

I still recommend Midnight Club for an 'arcadey' racer, but Burnout's top quality no matter what.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:52 AM »

I have found that turn signal fairly helpful since I learned about it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »

I actually second Dirt 2.  I rented it and loved it.  There are lots of different difficulty levels so if you like to win, you can always tone down the difficulty with no real consequences.  While it does have rally racing, it has other types of racing too.  There are a lot of different types of races and if you don't like one, you can avoid not doing it as much if you want.  I'd give it a try.

I actually forgot to mention my favorite mechanic of the game.  I don't know if the original Dirt had this feature or not, but Dirt 2 has a rewind feature that gives you a few chances per race to rewind time if you crash/do something stupid.  Takes some of the "I have to race perfectly to win" tension out of the game, which was very welcomed for a casual racer like myself.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

Well, I ended up buying Burnout Paradise. It cost me £15, as opposed to £45 for DiRT 2 :P

I've only played for about half an hour, but I liked what I saw. I just hope that the competition gets more fierce in the races!

I had a stupid dream

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: