Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329713 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Half finished games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Half finished games  (Read 11870 times)
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »

I typically complete every game I buy.  There's a few games that've worn my patience thin though:
Fallout 3
Morrowind
Odin Sphere
Final Fantasy XII

I think I see a pattern here--games that I get not necessarily because I want them, but because the rest of the world thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.  It's hard to get into games you're playing not because you want to, but because you should.  I have a couple other games that aren't RPGs that have gotten shelved indefinitely for the same reason.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

While I think it's good to at least play a bit of each of those games, I can't really rationalize beating those you're not really getting into unless it's something like Portal that'll only take an evening anyway.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

Half-finished games occur when I get through part of a game, and get bored of it mid way, but still want to finish it; I end up going off and playing other games, essentially playing through a number of games simultaneously, focusing on whatever game I want to at the time, as my taste dictates.

Otherwise, if you have trouble leaving yourself time to play games, stop watching lousy TV shows, stop browsing the internet, and focus on games - something that actually, really helps you relax, and that you actually get entertainment value out of.

Here's what I'm playing through lately, ALL on the PS2:

Castlevania ~ Curse of Darkness
Drakengard 2
Persona 3
Radiata Stories
Soul Nomad

...and that's just what I'm trying to play through before Autumn ends, and Winter officially begins...

Persona 3's a long damn game, but the others are action games, or otherwise short, quick RPGs, so I should be able to finish each of them in a week. REALLY looking forward to playing through and finishing EACH of them.

Been focusing on Soul Nomad...
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »

Most games are not good to beat.

Most games are too long.

I need a concise and intense game experience.

I need to not be in school

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »

Most games have horrible pacing and there comes a point that the story stagnate thus only leaving battles to enjoy and if those have lackluster gameplay itīs not fun anymore...

Also several RPGs tend to have really boring/predictable endings that more than occasionally turn into some horribly contrived mess.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »

The damned problem is that sometimes things open slow but get strong, while others do the reverse.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »

Before the current generation, I had all sorts of games(mostly rpgs) that I only partially played through. There just wasn't enough time.
When I got my 360 last October I decided to stick to one game at a time. It also helps that I'm playing less rpgs.
We need more rpgs that can be completed in the 20-30 hr range. Screw this 70 hrs of game play crap.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »

The xenosaga games managed to pack in a lot of plot etc and those games were 30-40 hrs with completeing everything.

Many games plod on just for the sake of being long...
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »

Yeah, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon became the very, very first RPG I ended up not beating because I found the final battle to be unbeatable since my characters died too easily. I can safely say I'll never touch the series or anything else Intelligent Systems produces in the near future.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »

Shadow Dragon was a special case because your units are -supposed- to die.  Which is incredibly stupid, yes, but that's why the game is the way it is.  You can win without anyone dying though, you just have to play carefully.

IS is a really good developer, you shouldn't just dump their whole list of great games because of one wart.  I mean, they made Paper Mario and Advance Wars, I consider them top of the developer heap for those games alone.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 02:12:24 PM »

Wow, I thought I was bad! My completion rate is probably at about 60-70% for first played games. However, it falls to a meer 5% or so for second-time playthroughs. The only RPG that I've ever played through twice was Chrono Trigger. However Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII, I played through twice but hadn't quite finished the first time through, so it gave me a reason to finish it.

One game that's been totally nagging at me to finally finish is Wild Arms 4. There's many games I put down and say, "well, that was fun while it lasted, but I have no regrets about putting this down". But it's been 4 years since I played WA4, I remember having a really strong love/hate relationship with the game... but enough intrigue to want to finally finish the fucker. Plus I REALLY want to know what happens to Raquel in the end. I've reached for the disc case more times than I can remember, but always changed my mind at the last minute. But I think it may be a deep-seeded cause of stress in my life, so I really should do it!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »

Shadow Dragon was a special case because your units are -supposed- to die.  Which is incredibly stupid, yes, but that's why the game is the way it is.  You can win without anyone dying though, you just have to play carefully.
The fact that enemies constantly respawned made it damn near impossible to play "carefully" as you say. I tried the last battle over and over and over, but still couldn't beat it because of those god-damn ballistas or whatever that kept appearing, and the fact that I couldn't level up at all. But hey, if you like shitty games, that's your business.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

One game that's been totally nagging at me to finally finish is Wild Arms 4. There's many games I put down and say, "well, that was fun while it lasted, but I have no regrets about putting this down". But it's been 4 years since I played WA4, I remember having a really strong love/hate relationship with the game... but enough intrigue to want to finally finish the fucker. Plus I REALLY want to know what happens to Raquel in the end. I've reached for the disc case more times than I can remember, but always changed my mind at the last minute. But I think it may be a deep-seeded cause of stress in my life, so I really should do it!

I can relate to this. For a long time I have been a big backer of the Phantasy Star games(offline only). Love the setting, and have many fond memories. BUT....I have never actually finished Phantasy Star I. Way back on the SMS my brothers and I tag teamed it, play until the last dungeon, and then got stuck. No gamefaqs or help guides back then. To this day, it bothers me that I never finished it. I even bought the PS collection for the GBA with the purpose of playing through it, but stopped a few hours in.
I know its part of the Gen collection for the new systems, and have been tempted to buy that to try again. I know it's a waste of money, though, as I just can't get motivated to play any type of old game anymore.
I shall go to my grave with this burden!

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »

The fact that enemies constantly respawned made it damn near impossible to play "carefully" as you say. I tried the last battle over and over and over, but still couldn't beat it because of those god-damn ballistas or whatever that kept appearing, and the fact that I couldn't level up at all. But hey, if you like shitty games, that's your business.

Uh, I hated Shadow Dragon.  And as I already said, that's the only game they've made like that that I'm aware of.  The other Fire Emblem games don't have infinite spawns, and their characters have much better growth/survivability rates.

Also: by "playing carefully" on infine spawn maps, you place characters on top of spawn points to prevent them from coming through, and you breach spawn points by using Archers and fast units and making use of advantageous terrain like forts and forests.  "Carefully" doesn't mean turtling in the corner and holding out until reinforcements stop, it means advancing with a clear goal and with a clear knowledge of what's coming at you.

And anyone who says Advance Wars and Paper Mario are shitty games needs a reality check.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:48:09 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »

There are very very VERY few RPGs that I started but didn't finish. Here are a few that come to mind:

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Morrowind
Paladin's Quest
Romancing SaGa 3 (import)
Unlimited SaGa (and I will finish it...someday...)
Wild Arms 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: