Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319719 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Torchlight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 2238 times)
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »

Well it's out.

It's a Diablo-esque game made by former members of the Diablo team and the guy who made Fate. Actually, it takes  A LOT from Fate, from the graphics to the pet system. Currently dowloading the demo, so I'll give impressions later.

What irks me is that there is no multiplayer yet, but the developpers said they'd eventually add it to the game (potentially in more than a year -_-). But to their defense, they're a very small team with limited means and the game is 20$.

EDIT, demo mini review time  : Well the demo was pretty short, but it gives a good feeling on what to expect, I think. If you've played Fate, you'll see a lot of the same, as expected. But it also feels better designed. The graphics first are much less crude. They retain the cartoony style of Fate, but added more details. And this is worth on everything, characters, spell effects and especially environment, which are much less bare. The demo had me going through some mine, and well it still just a series of generic corridors and rooms, but at least they looked good. They also had enemies come from hidden tunnels or jump on you from cliffs. Those are the kind of details that lacked in Fate.

For gameplay, unlike Fate, you pick a class when you start. Each class has a small skill three divided in 3 categories. The Alchemist (it's just a mage <_<) had access to attack spells, summon spells and the last series was a mish mash of spells to improve your physical abilities. So you could turn into some sort of battle mage, if you wanted to. I think you can also learn spells from scrolls, but the demo didn't give me a chance too, but right before it ended I had a quest that would've given me one of those scroll.  The pet system is the same as Fate, you pick a cat or a dog when creating your characters and you feed him fish to transform it. You'll find ponds in the dungeons. It's pretty nice, but the enemies seem to completely ignore my pet  most of the time, which was kinda annoying.

Otherwise, it's again, a lot like Fate. Most quests seem randomly generated, but at least this time the game doesn't start by telling you  "There's a demon on floor 50, so go kill it please". There's some sort of story, which is probably not going to be very good, but it's better than nothing. Basically you're an adventurer in a city called Torchlight, which became prosperour thanks to a mine where they extract a material called Ember. Then obviously, as soon as you get there the mine is under attack and you have to save the day.

So like Fate, you'll be going through the same dungeon throughout the whole game, I imagine. The environment was going to change past the 5th floor, from mines to some sort of ruins, which sort of limits the repeatitiveness. Each five or ten floors will probably see you completing an objective in the "main quest", but this is speculation.

The last floor I had access to also had a pretty cool unique boss fight, which is something else Fate lacked. Having a story allows the game to add those fun elements. In Fate, even the 50th floor boss was actually just a strong generic boss, which really sucked. Well here, right at the 5th level you get a unique boss with unique abilities and spells. Fun stuff.

Overall, it's a pretty solid hack n'slash game. It's going to be the same thing over and over, but it can still provide some solid entertainment if you like that kind of game, I'm quite sure I can say that even after playing the demo.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:38:46 PM by Roger S. Huxley » Logged
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »

I pre-purchased it via steam and it's met my (somewhat high, given how much I enjoyed the Diablos and Mythos) expectations so far and think it was 20 dollars well spent.

Hopefully the multiplayer component is just as good whenever it eventually is finished and released.

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:00:49 AM »

Not much to add other than I bought it, I'm having fun, and I'm also waiting on multiplayer...

And cats > dogs. They're cuter.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:14 AM »

What I really hope is that they won't just release the multiplayer component as a small patch.

They have to at least come up with some sort of mini-expansion to add more content and included multiplayer, otherwise I don't think a lot of people will come back to play the game after a year.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:05:21 AM »

What I really hope is that they won't just release the multiplayer component as a small patch.

They have to at least come up with some sort of mini-expansion to add more content and included multiplayer, otherwise I don't think a lot of people will come back to play the game after a year.

The multiplayer is being handled as an MMORPG from Perfect World (Ether Saga, etc.), so that's not a worry you'll have.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »

I just got the game myself.  I have had a good deal of fun with it so far.

franitrehalf

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »

i am playing this game now , it will be more interesting if you could choose between more classes... Although you will enjoy playing this game.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »

I'd love to see something like this on XBL...
mr. nails
Total Games Beaten: 415

Playing: Dragon Quest V (DS)

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

beat Torchlight - PC

took me 13.5 hours.
had about 1/2 my gear gemmed and never enchanted anything or any transmutes.  game was GREAT!  i loved the pet running back to town selling my loot business.  great addition!  i hope more devs look into that option with upcoming arpgs.

Xavier: Dual Wield Destroyer

character lvl 43
fame lvl 27
hp: 3100
mana: 230
strength: 149 (1079-2157)
dex: 4 (0-0)
magic: 5 (445-890)
def: 140 (552-1104)

resist:

poison: 293
lightning: 152