Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Information on Spirit Tracks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Information on Spirit Tracks  (Read 2849 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »

A preview courtesy of 1up.com.
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176790

A couple of things to note.
- Spirit Tracks is set 100 years after Phantom Hourglass.
- Its set in a new land of Hyrule.
- There will be trains.
- They're fixing the rolling.
- This game's Zelda is playable.
- The first dungeon item is a microphone powered fan.
- This game's version of the Palace of the Ocean King features an elevator to skip already cleared parts.
- There will also be items to enable you to directly face the Phantoms early on.

Anyways discuss.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »

- This game's version of the Palace of the Ocean King...

fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.... FUCK!!!!!!!

not buying it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

- This game's version of the Palace of the Ocean King...

fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.... FUCK!!!!!!!

not buying it.

Because it's impossible that they could learn from mistakes and make something more enjoyable? This one apparently lets you skip past cleared areas, that alone can make this a lot better, and if it's not timed then even better (and it doesn't look that way if one of those screens was from the tower).
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »

True... I guess it was a gut reaction. I just hated everything about the Palace of the Ocean King. The fact that they even THOUGHT about bringing something even remotely similar back into the game just makes me cringe. I really hate the centricity of it. The thing I tend to like about Zelda games is that they don't usually have one center place of origin. They have several towns, several dungeons, and whatnot, that you can come back to if you want, or when the story dictates it, but none have any more real importance than any others. Palace of the Ocean King made the game almost feel "misison based" because of it's insistance that you return to one central locale.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

True... I guess it was a gut reaction. I just hated everything about the Palace of the Ocean King. The fact that they even THOUGHT about bringing something even remotely similar back into the game just makes me cringe.

Oh, I agree there, but Nintendo GENERALLY puts out great titles or improves on serious flaws, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »

I didn't mind the Ocean Palace. Considering how 90% of the world map involved sailing from point a to point b, having someplace to use all of those awesome tools other than their respective dungeons was a godsend (especially after Twilight Princess).

So yes, I for one, welcome Phantom Hourglass the way it was meant to be.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:22:30 AM »

Ideally they'd excise that element (traveling by vehicle) altogether. I wonder if they may've implanted that as a way to give people a break from moving Link around with a stylus though, as much as it annoys me to see Zelda handling exploration in this way that would make sense.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 12:52:47 AM »

I didn't mind it since it was a definite step up from Wind Waker's boating, and in fact, I did appreciate the hunt for hidden islands. Its just not something that allows for much outside of the vehicle's mechanics (and now that I think about it there hasn't been a Zelda game that didn't feature some alternative method of transportation since Minish Cap, unless you count Four Swords Adventures).

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »

Phantom Hourglass was probably the most disappointing Zelda title I ever played.  I'm super sceptical about this.  Feels sorta uninspired too.  I get a vibe from the Nintendo staff were more on a "Hey, let's make Link do this!!" as opposed to "I have a great idea for the Zelda series" train of thought.  Hah.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »

can i maeks choo choo trian crash?!?!?!?!

Don't ask me why I wrote it that way, but if there's choo choo trains, I wanna make them crash.  I will be disappointed if Spirit Tracks does not have at least one choo choo train crash.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »

Same reaction as Prime. Why would they even consider bringing back the Ocean King Temple? Even a "improved" version?
I also agree with Dice in that this has to be amazing awesome to even get some interest out of me. So far it looks like Blah. The whole trains thing makes me think they're shooting for the 5 year old demo.

I also recall the music being horrible and repetitive. Every dungeon pretty much had the same boring bgm. NOT cool.
Yeah, I pretty much wrote this off right after it was announced.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

If this game DOES have a choo choo train crash, I'll buy it.  If not...I'll just wait for 3D Dot Game Heroes.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »

I also recall the music being horrible and repetitive. Every dungeon pretty much had the same boring bgm. NOT cool.

For whatever it's worth I liked the music in the trailer I watched, but otherwise this is one of my biggest concerns with the game. I don't need an amazing soundtrack here, just one that does a decent job, and in this case the soundtrack only served to make the game feel even blander.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »

Well i wont break my tradition to buy all zeldas here, anyhow, i wonder if they are finally going to make "romantic" stuff or something happens between zelda and link... i mean... its already time for that and maybe would make the story more entretaining, but i must say, i dont expect much

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

Same reaction as Prime. Why would they even consider bringing back the Ocean King Temple? Even a "improved" version?
I also agree with Dice in that this has to be amazing awesome to even get some interest out of me. So far it looks like Blah. The whole trains thing makes me think they're shooting for the 5 year old demo.

Yeah, I pretty much wrote this off right after it was announced.

If I recall correctly that was the exact same thing said about Wind Waker before it came out. And if I recall correctly it ended with Ganondorf getting a sword planted directly into his skull.

Also, I'm sorta hoping that the overworld for this game bares some kind of resemblance to AoL's overworld (or a piece therein of). It might finally put to rest those debates of what the Zelda timeline looks like.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: