Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332936 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Video Game concerts ... are you into it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video Game concerts ... are you into it?  (Read 2624 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »

We just ran an interview with PLAY! producer Jason Michael Paul.

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/play2009/index.html

There are a couple of big concerts out there these days. There's PLAY!, Video Games Live, and Australia has had the Eminence Orchestra doing "A Night in Fantasia" show for many years. There's Dear Friends, More Friends, VOICES, and Distant Worlds for Final Fantasy / Square Enix. Europe has had some great shows with the WDR Orchestra in Cologne, Germany.

And then there are plenty of indie fan-bands like the Minibosses or NESkimos, who can put on some great shows.

To what degree are you interested? Would you attend a show if it were attached to a game/anime convention? Would you attend a show as a stand-alone event? How much are you willing to pay to hear your favorite VGM performed by a rock band or full orchestra?

Would love to hear your feedback!

Ramza

PS - full disclosure, I've been to a PLAY! show and I've witnessed a handful of other shows in my time, including a piano solo concert from Kumi Tanioka. And I loved every minute of these events. :)

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »

I'm still debating on going to Chicago to the upcoming Distant Worlds concert on December 12th.  I've always wanted to go to a game music concert, and the opportunity is open to me now.  I have the money, but it's kind of a pricy just to listen to music since I have to buy tickets for the show, to fly out there via airline, and pay for the hotel room.  The other issue is that I don't know anyone in the Chicago area, and so I'd be twiddling my thumbs more or less until the concert starts.  I'd be paying a fair bit of money for just 2.5 hours of entertainment.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

I live in the Chicago area and was considering going to the Distant Worlds Concert. My brother wanted to go to, but he has no money, and I'm not going to pay for the both of us. My wife sure as hell isn't interested in going. lol. Plus the tickets were pretty expensive, and I started wondering if it would really be worth it.
Still, some time or another I would like to attend one of these.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »

I was shocked to see actual ads for the PLAY! concert on buses and such in the Salt Lake City area last week.  In a good way, of course, but still, shocked. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »

I went to Video Games Live! last year during Gen-con and it was awesome. They are gonna be there again next year and I will be going.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »

I would definitely go to see a band like The Minibosses or the NESkimos at a local venue.  I prefer smaller bar/club/basement shows to biggie concerts.  And these days, nostalgic gaming is pretty hip what with peope wanting to relive some of that unbridled childlike joy of Super Mario 3 to destress from these tough times.  So if I can headbang and get nostalgic, I'm in. 

As for cover charges, maybe because I'm a local band/basement show cheapskate, if I'm paying a $10 cover, there had better be at least 2 bands playing and one of them had better be good enough for me to want to buy some merch. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »

I just came home from seeing Play! in SLC. It's definitely worth checking out, but, if it comes to a nearby city or concert hall, Video Games Live is the better of the two. Both concerts play similar selections, but the VGL concert had better arrangements, a better diversity of games, and a much more entertaining atmosphere. The VGL performance of songs from Castlevania kicked Play!'s to the curb, and the performance of Play! I saw tonight was sadly missing everything but "One Winged Angel" from the Final Fantasy series where VGL had a fantastic piano medley of Final Fantasy songs. One set of songs made the night totally worth it though, and that was the set from Chrono Trigger/Cross. It was totally amazing to hear the "Time's Scar," "Frog's Theme," and the Chrono Trigger main theme. But I was disappointed by the selection of Kingdom Hearts. Their rendition of "Simple and Clean" (which I admittedly haven't heard for a while) was unrecognizable to me, and what the other song was I had no idea. They also played some more obscure Sonic songs which I can appreciate, but I wanted to hear something I recognized more.

Interestingly enough, they did play some music from Shenmue which was very good. I haven't played the games, but they must have a pretty decent soundtrack, but aside from that their selections were pretty typical.

As for my comparison between Play! and Video Games Live: Play! is where you go, sit down and enjoy the music; Video Games Live is where you actually experience it.  
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »

I would go to some of these concerts, but I don't think there are any around New Zealand.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

I would go to some of these concerts, but I don't think there are any around New Zealand.

He's only written music for a few games, but his soundtrack for SHATTER (PSN) is amazing.

http://www.module.co.nz/

http://sidhe.bandcamp.com/

And he does shows in New Zealand at least once a year.

Plus, if you're willing to hop a flight to Australia, you can check out Eminence.

rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »

I'm still debating on going to Chicago to the upcoming Distant Worlds concert on December 12th.  I've always wanted to go to a game music concert, and the opportunity is open to me now.  I have the money, but it's kind of a pricy just to listen to music since I have to buy tickets for the show, to fly out there via airline, and pay for the hotel room.  The other issue is that I don't know anyone in the Chicago area, and so I'd be twiddling my thumbs more or less until the concert starts.  I'd be paying a fair bit of money for just 2.5 hours of entertainment.

I'll be going to that concert on December 12. I'm flying in from Florida Saturday morning go to the concert and return Sunday Afternoon.  I'm going with my mom (I invited her since I didn't want to leave her alone in my apartment). So If your going let me know we can hang out or whatever.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »

I guess I better make a decision soon, then.  Where are you in Florida?  I'm up in the panhandle, about 2 hours east of Pensacola.
tebian
Radio Station DJ

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »

If your going to Distant Worlds on the 12th, you are in for big treat. Nobuo will be preforming with the Chicago Black Mages and he has a new track from FF14 that will played for the first time. A few of my listeners have been to the concert and they all agree its worth making a trip to see it. Personally I would have love to see Friends concert when if first hit the USA, with the multimedia screens playing it must have been great show.

Final Fantasy Radio
"Square Music for a Round World"
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »

I guess I better make a decision soon, then.  Where are you in Florida?  I'm up in the panhandle, about 2 hours east of Pensacola.

I'm in Miami, I don't know if you remember me but when I was a regular here on the boards I used to live in Puerto Rico.  After graduating college i moved to Miami to work.  

My plane leaves Miami at 9 am and i would arrive in Chicago at  11:30 am If there's no setback.

If you look at their facebook page they are doing a new rendition of Dancing Mad and are apparently gonna do a couple of songs from Final Fantasy XIV not just one. I can't wait.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:36:02 PM by rubenxce » Logged
tebian
Radio Station DJ

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Amazing how critical some people can be on the web... "not just one" (boring).

Here is the information on concert about the new music. Should be great with the 10 montages of music they play, FF14's will be a nice "set".

The "Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY" concert on December 12, 2009 at 8 p.m. at The Rosemont Theatre, will feature never before heard new works by the Japanese video game composer Nobuo Uematsu from the not yet released FINAL FANTASY XIV game. The premiere of the newly written Final Fantasy XIV music, performed by the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra, will pre-date the release of the video game and will give fans an exclusive opportunity to be the first to hear the music live and in concert. "We've never done anything like this before as we typically perform music after the release of each particular video game. The fans attending the Chicago concert will be the first to hear the music performed by over 100 performers, including a live orchestra and chorus, before hearing it on their computers when they play the game! This video game music sneak peak is an exciting new prospect that Square Enix Co.,Ltd.(Square Enix) has allowed us to present and should be a thrilling premiere for the fans and performers," said Arnie Roth, Music Director and Executive Producer, "Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY."

Final Fantasy Radio
"Square Music for a Round World"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: