Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  God of war III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: God of war III  (Read 15269 times)
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »

Just finished GOW 3 the other day.

It was enjoyable for those 9 hours and something minutes. But I thought GOW 2 had much better level design/layout.
So I would say GOW 2 is the best in the series.

People always use the word Epic to describe GOW.
I must say Heavy Rain was far more epic.

Also a game that came out early this year and people kept saying rip off. Darksiders is a far better game than GOW 3.
And its from a first time developer.

I guess it all depends on taste really. Heavy Rain as "innovative" as it is, can hardly be called a game and Darksiders seemed mediocre at best, to me at least especially when compared to GoW III.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:42 AM »

I guess it all depends on taste really. Heavy Rain as "innovative" as it is, can hardly be called a game and Darksiders seemed mediocre at best, to me at least especially when compared to GoW III.

Ah, the "is Heavy Rain really a game" debate! When someone first asked me about it where I work I just ask myself, "Does it have gameplay elements?" If the answer is yes, then it's a game. So in this case, yes, Heavy Rain is still a game.

Anyway, I liked Darksiders more than GoW 3. The story was pretty damn bad in Darksiders, but I really enjoyed everything else. Just wish it could have been a couple of dungeons longer. Maybe, for me, with GOW3 it was a bit of a been there done that kind of thing. Darksiders felt fresh to me (though the gameplay style is comparable to Zelda). I also never really liked any of the GOWs.

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »

Heavy Rain is a new game in a genre that died out a long time ago.

Point and click adventure/story games.
They use to be really popular on the PC.

There is more button pressing more that the player does in Heavy Rain though.

I don't see how Darksiders is called mediocre but then GOW 3 ISN'T.
Level design/layout actual game play alone Darksiders slaughters GOW 3.
Darksiders was also twice as long that's a big thing.
All GOW 3 has over Darksiders is graphics.
Then again you could say well remove the controllable camera and you can add better graphics then to the game.Have it fixed like GOW does.
But because of the actual superior design of the levels you had to have controllable cameras.
And how about it a first time developer/smaller budget etc...
Darksiders impressed.

GOW 3 was just another game in a series that just seem to sit back in cruise control with far inferior design/layout to GOW 2.

And the only reason I even brought up Darksiders is all the people calling it a GOW rip off.
But really GOW was never anything new. Just go back and play games before it PS2 Rygar(with the Greek mythology too),Devil May Cry,Ninja Gaiden,Onimusha,Soul Reaver and other action adventure games you'll see oh wait how is this new?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:04:37 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:56 AM »

Heavy Rain is a new game in a genre that died out a long time ago.

Point and click adventure/story games.
They use to be really popular on the PC.

There is more button pressing more that the player does in Heavy Rain though.
I don't see how Darksiders is called mediocre but then GOW 3 ISN'T.
Level design/layout actual game play alone Darksiders slaughters GOW 3.
Darksiders was also twice as long that's a big thing.
All GOW 3 has over Darksiders is graphics.
Then again you could say well remove the controllable camera and you can add better graphics then to the game.Have it fixed like GOW does.
But because of the actual superior design of the levels you had to have controllable cameras.
And how about it a first time developer/smaller budget etc...
Darksiders impressed.
GOW 3 was just another game in a series that just seem to sit back in cruise control with far inferior design/layout to GOW 2.
And the only reason I even brought up Darksiders is all the people calling it a GOW rip off.
But really GOW was never anything new. Just go back and play games before it PS2 Rygar(with the Greek mythology too),Devil May Cry,Ninja Gaiden,Onimusha,Soul Reaver and other action adventure games you'll see oh wait how is this new?

Stop talking like you're some gaming expert and I'm just into the medium. I've been playing games for awhile and I've been fed pretty much everything but if by your taste Darskiders is above GoWIII/mediocre in my opinion it's much below them.

Darksiders has weak soundwork, which makes it hardly believable and the music is barely there. The combat is so shallow like it doesn't want any depth at all, even if artificial, puzzles are ALL FROM OTHER GAMES ranging from Portal to Zelda games and Shadow of the Colossus and I can't respect that from a developer. What made me buy it was the tiny resemblance the game has to Legacy of Kain titles and that dark comic-book feeling. So don't misunderstand, I'm not trashing it, but saying it's a mediocre game.

GoW III is better in every zone compared to Darksiders from sound to graphics and game pacing, etc it's just that our tastes just don't collide and you must get used to different opinions.

I've played most of the games you listed and lemme tell you something. While God of War isn't as innovative as DMC it doesn't rip off elements, but just borrows concepts and improves some. Like Bayonetta does too from DMC and other Kamiya games (even if ppl say it's original, bla bla) so does God of War. That's not the case of Darksiders which besides concepts it steals much more than that, like I said earlier a whole SOTC boss battle and that's just plain uninspired and lame for me, even if it didn't take from my satisfaction with the game.

Other than that I know point and click adventures on the PC, but those are such a different thing to Heavy Rain...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: