Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 11:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340847 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  God of war III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: God of war III  (Read 15428 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »

Finally started playing this yesterday and OMGOW indeed. There are moments in this game that are simply unbelievable, yet another one of those games that make me think how much this industry has evolved. Uncharted 2's train level was the most impressive achievment of this gen untill now but the first hour of GOW3 probably surpasses it. Definitely lives up to the intros of its predecessors.
The new moves are great, battering ram and Hyperon Grab work really well.
I have to mention the texture work, did you guys check out the textures on the gorgons? They look just like real snakes, it's amazing. And Krato's character model, specially in close ups is really impressive.
I always liked Kratos for his no BS attitude, it doesn't matter if you're a mortal, a god or a titan, if you're in the way you're going down in the most painful way possible. The first god you fight gets quite a beating, it's fucking brutal.

Thanks to my unevolved country I got the game today but man, was it worth it !
I have been a GoW fan since 2005 and gotta tell you, this game (so far) is unbelievable. The first 2 hours are just mindblowing with some really crazy moments.

Spoilery:
If you think the first boss finisher was brutal, wait till you see the second.. I literally said "fucking hell" on a certain part of it

Just played it! Holy crap!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »

I can't wait to watch the making of videos that unlock when you finish the game. What they have done here is truly remarkable. Sony santa monica, naughty dog and guerrilla are in a league of their own. I can't wait to see what Polyphony can pull off with 5 years of development time.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »

I would like to start this by saying that this will not be the most objective of reviews but since at the same time I strongly believe no one is really objective, I will go ahead and post my impressions on the game and take note that this will contain SPOILERS:

Presentation:

Is by far the strongest aspect in this game (and important for me in all games I play) from the architecture to beasts and from mindblowing moments to more mindblowing moments. I don't want to make a separate category for graphics because all you need to know is that this game looks like having sex in a chocolate which has the most euphoric drug sprinkled on it. I won't go into detail with this, because these details are everywhere else so you'll just have to trust me on this one. That aside, the presentation is top notch: every place has it's own feel, be it the underworld or much above, Sony Santa Monica managed to pull off such diversity with such a limited landscape: Mount Olympus. What I really appreciated is the diversity in foes you face. Even tho I expected a grand game, I also expected them to take the most important of every enemy and render them but they really impressed me in this aspect. The boss battles are great and each has it's own feel. You never feel that X boss feels like Y and neither did I feel that the opening of the game is the best part. It may sound funny but I think Poseidon is a little bit down the list regarding the boss battles in this game. The only complaint I can add here is a unexpected collision glitch at the beginning of the game when I flew with a medusa thru a wall but that was it...

The story is great if you know what to expect from a game like this. It wraps up the series nicely and that's about all I'll say.

All in all, they absolutely nailed the cinematic feel with this game, without it being an interactive movie because the game actually is playable and it really feels good:

Gameplay/Combat:

First of all I would like to say that I never experienced those R1/jumping glitches everyone seems to talk about. It seems that they have to get used to GoW mechanics since they felt like second nature to me, but anyway... What I loved since the demo of this game (and btw, the demo is literally the worst part of the game I may add) is the better combat. All the weapons in this game are usable compared to the first two games. It's not that I didn't like the Sword of Artemis or the Spear of Destiny but they felt more like extras and not actual weapons and I saw myself always going back to the regular Blades. Well, in this one, I always wanted to use them all in every fight because as flashy as they are they are actually fun to use and every one has different effects against types of enemies as well as different magic. The L1+ O grapple move is a blessing for this game and also things like using Hermes' sandals for air dodge or switching weapons mid-combo. It may not reach the depth of Bayonetta or the impressive combo lists of NG but it doesn't need to because at the end of the day it's fun and that's what matters most (I'd like to add that button mashing won't get you anywhere with this one on normal)

If one likes to put it this way, yeah.. GoW III it's more of the same. It has the upgrade menu, items which Kratos can use in his quest, icarus vents, beast riding, grapple swinging, titan slaying, less 'in your face' QTE's but when those things feel so fun, why change? I'd understand innovation coming from a new IP or something but since this franchise is based on the above aspects, why change for the sake of it? They did the right thing and took those, improved and multiplied. Like to add the fact that my normal playthru was about 11 hours so the ones saying it's 8 hrs just rushed mindlessly or played on easy and speaking of difficulty, normal is just about right, hard is quite the challenge and have yet to see chaos which I can guess is brutal. The puzzles in this game are easier than the previous games but are also more fun. The frustration of the spike-box room is gone and also the push that thing while killing these enemies. It's really pretentious to call them puzzles because in GoW III these are more like challanges rather than puzzles but are cleverly welded in the scenery and give the game the much needed fluidity and great pacing.

Sound:

I'd like to say that this has definitely has the best soundtrack in the series. Old themes are present and give a warm feeling, new themes are more than welcome, while the main theme of GoW III takes my prize for most memorable menu track.

The voice acting is really great. Everyone in the game is top notch, really with the minor complaint that I would have loved Linda Hunt making time to be Gaia/narrator for the grand finale. Every actor does his job to portray the twisted gods as best as they can. Some may make you feel angry, fueled with rage, annoyed or remorse.

I dunno why but I must say that my audio was out of sync at some points, 2 or 3 times maybe but again, nothing distracting.

For me this is definitely the best in the series and it amazed me on how a raw character like Kratos made me feel thru the whole experience. I don't like fancy talks so let me say this. At some times I was so amazed with some finishers that I literally started cursing in joy (and yes, it's a brutal game, but it didn't feel that out of place brutality to me) and at other times I was literally speachless for the most diverse of reasons. This is not the game that can compete with slashers such as Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden nor the game that can bring innovation and originality to the table regarding gameplay ideas but what the game does, it does in an infallible manner which gives the player what is ultimately his: a great, fun experience from start to finish. No dull moments, no boring puzzle or sudden story twists. God of War III is a game for the gamers.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

The battle with
Code:
Cronos
is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a videogame.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

Seems like I found all the gorgon eyes and feathers on my first playthrough. I haven't finished it yet but if I already have all the eyes and feathers I must be pretty close.
The cestus is a fantastic weapon.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »

People keep talking about the graphics but the soundtrack is just as amazing, it only really hit me on my second playthrough, definitely one of the best I've heard this gen.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:17 PM »

What's the soundtrack like? Is it similar to the previous GoWs, or more heavy metal-ish?

(I'm really slow in getting this game. STUPID FINALS.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

Lots of epic choral stuff? LOTR type stuff? I love that type of music, especially during big battles and such.
I can see this game being advertised with Metal, but not actually having it in the game. Wouldn't sound right with the whole Greek mythology thing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:52:09 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »

It's similar to the previous God of Wars. There's a heavy metal album with songs from various artist that comes with the God of War III Ultimate Edition. That album has nothing to do with the game.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »

Lots of epic choral stuff? LOTR type stuff?

Yup, it's like the previous 2 but taken to another level, it's really great. It's performed by the san francisco symphony and there are actually 4 different composers.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

That sounds pretty neat. I loved the last two soundtracks. I remember the ultimate edition included that CD, but I'm probably gonna pass since I just don't have $100 for a game :P

I think it's been Devil May Cry 4 putting me in a (sorta)-heavy-metal-game-soundtrack-mood :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »

That sounds pretty neat. I loved the last two soundtracks. I remember the ultimate edition included that CD, but I'm probably gonna pass since I just don't have $100 for a game :P

I think it's been Devil May Cry 4 putting me in a (sorta)-heavy-metal-game-soundtrack-mood :P

But DMC4 had an awful soundtrack. Hopefully, it put you in the mood for GOOD metal. Great game, but the music sucked.

I also liked the STs for GoW I & II. More of the same brought to a higher level works for me. Can't wait to play this after I finish ME2.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »

I haven't really listened to it on its own. (I don't have it). Nero's battle music was kinda lame.

Some music is better as BGM and terrible on its own :P I liked DMC3's more though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »

I'm having even more fun during my second playthrough on titan than during the first one. Delivering those brutal kills on the enemies after they gave you a really hard time is immensely satisfying. Difficulty feels just right for me without becoming frustrating. This time I'm using the weapons I didn't use as much on my first run, the bow can be really helpful even during fights where it might not be your first choice. I was having a really hard time with
Code:
hades
and ended up killing him only using the bow.

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 03:58:36 AM »

Just finished GOW 3 the other day.

It was enjoyable for those 9 hours and something minutes. But I thought GOW 2 had much better level design/layout.
So I would say GOW 2 is the best in the series.

People always use the word Epic to describe GOW.
I must say Heavy Rain was far more epic.

Also a game that came out early this year and people kept saying rip off. Darksiders is a far better game than GOW 3.
And its from a first time developer.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:01:39 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: