Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327999 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Sony Bravia HDTV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sony Bravia HDTV  (Read 2214 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:59:48 AM »

So, the department store I work at sold me a brand new Sony Bravia 37" LCD HDTV for $250 because the corporate office fucked up and sent us the wrong price for that TV... it was like $600+ , supposed to drop to like $500.  So, I bought it for $250.

Great TV, picture is awesome, except the hippies at Energy Star encouraged this 'feature' that dims the backlight once the majority of the picture is black.  Think of the credits at the end of a movie... the backlight dims and the text becomes hard to read until more brightness comes onto the screen. 

For the most part, this is fine, but there are a few instances where it is annoying.  At $250 I shouldn't complain too much (I'm typing this post using it as my computer monitor, and it rules)... or should I complain?

I called Sony this morning hoping there was a firmware update.  It turns out that most other Bravia TV's do have one, but not this one.  They offered to send me a replacement... impressive, but it won't help.  This auto-dim feature is very deliberate, so the TV itself is working as it was meant to.

Think I can manage talking them into sending me a different model?  They said that if the replacement TV didn't solve my problem, they would pursue other options.  How is anyone to know about some obscure feature that can't be disabled? 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:46 AM »

What model is it?  

If it's the KDL40VE5 (has a visible sensor on the bottom), then you can turn it off in the settings.  I know you said 37, but I'm still throwing it out there.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:03:27 AM »

It's model KDL-37M4000 .  There is a light sensor in the lower right that I've messed with.  When it is set to "on" in the settings, shining a flashlight into it will make the screen do the same thing... but since that isn't what I want, I leave that feature disabled.  It is a similar but separate "feature".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:08:30 PM by Fei » Logged

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:21:10 PM »

Sounds like you're in dynamic mode for the picture settings.  Most flat panel TVs do that when in dynamic mode.  Sony may call it something different, not sure... but try a different picture mode.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »

My mode options are Standard, Vivid, and Cinema.  It happens in all three, and they appear to be no more than presets for the color, contrast, brightness, etc settings.

Knowing that other TV's do this in dynamic mode makes the situation a little less offensive, but not being able to adjust it is still bad.

Akanbe- what was this feature called in the KDL40VE5's settings?

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »

Well, dynamic mode or any kind of mode shouldn't have an effect like that.  I did a stint in the ol-home theater dept at a Best Buy and most of the TVs there were set on Dynamic to attract the eyes.

in the VE5, the settings are in the "Eco" settings under Presence Sensor / Motion Sensor (pretty sure it's presence but the exact wording isn't important).  If there's any setting that can fix your problem, it's most likely in the "Eco" settings.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: