Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What headphones do you use?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What headphones do you use?  (Read 8510 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »

I'm in the market for another pair of headphones since these ones are covered in duct tape at the mo'. I'm looking to spend maybe $40 max. Just a pair that can last a year with good care given to them.

What's everybody else using?
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »

I use http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-EH-150-Evolution-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00067OF80/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258563381&sr=8-14

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000089GN3/ref=s9_tops_bw_t4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_r=1MBDZ94MRV71HCGN3VQD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=496246071&pf_rd_i=1250509011

Put me on the Sennheiser bandwagon. Mine are great, but perhaps a tad flimsy since they are collapsible.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »

Got these for Christmas and they indeed do fuckin' rock.  However the headband is cheap looking plastic and I imagine that part is brittle, but the sound is great.

Thanks for the idea Dagg

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »

For every day use, I just use a pair of SkullCandys that I picked up at FYE for $10. They've been great, and lasted much longer than other earbuds I've used in he past.

For plane rides, I switch to a pair of Klipsch earbuds that cost me about $250. They sound amazing, but if I eat anything, the seal gets broken whenever I chew, which kinda stinks. But I wanted earbuds so that I could sleep on the plane without taking off my headphones. I had a hard time spending that much on a headset, but finally decided that noise cancellation is important when you fly 150,000 miles a year. :D

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »

I took a pro's advice and bought a pair of AKG K271s. They'll set you back about $250, but you'll never have to buy a pair of headphones ever again. They're physical construction is absolutely brilliant and impossible to damage. It's built like a fucking suspension bridge, nothing can damage it. The sound is perfect, they feel great, and for studio recording, they even have an ingenious little shutoff switch so that when you take them off your head, the sound stops.

I used to be a Senn man, loved the seclusion of my 280Pros, but they COMPLETELY fell apart. Senn is a great company for their acoustic work: both mics and headphones SOUND great. But they're physical build is like cheap children's toys. Within 8 months, the top bracket cracked, and before a year and a half, the electrical connections started breaking down. Terrible physical design, not very comfortable either.

I don't think there's any audio company besides Shure (which doesn't make headphones) with a better reputation than AKG. You'll pay for it though.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »

I'm certainly no audiophile nor expert on this matter, but I did research (read: I looked at some internet forums) and heard a lot of good about the Yuin PK# series. They're earbuds, which was what I wanted, but your wants may be different. I bought the lowest end model for 40 dollars or something from http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=5 and certainly have been satisfied with my purchase. Had them for over a year now by a few months without any problems.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »

I took a pro's advice and bought a pair of AKG K271s. They'll set you back about $250, but you'll never have to buy a pair of headphones ever again. They're physical construction is absolutely brilliant and impossible to damage. It's built like a fucking suspension bridge, nothing can damage it. The sound is perfect, they feel great, and for studio recording, they even have an ingenious little shutoff switch so that when you take them off your head, the sound stops.

I used to be a Senn man, loved the seclusion of my 280Pros, but they COMPLETELY fell apart. Senn is a great company for their acoustic work: both mics and headphones SOUND great. But they're physical build is like cheap children's toys. Within 8 months, the top bracket cracked, and before a year and a half, the electrical connections started breaking down. Terrible physical design, not very comfortable either.

I don't think there's any audio company besides Shure (which doesn't make headphones) with a better reputation than AKG. You'll pay for it though.

This is good to know - when I need a new set (hopefully a long time from now), I'll have to check out the AKGs.

Don't know if you're making a distinction, but although Shure doesn't make any headphones (over the ear), they do make earphones (inside the ear):
http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/list/categoryID.12165500

My friends who have the Shures say they're outstanding.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

Well, Shure is one of those companies where, they're so big that you'd just like to hate them, but they do such good stuff that you just CAN'T! No mic in history has been used more than the SM57, even as a low end stage mic. The lavaliers that I've used from them (only $120) completely blow every Sony I've ever used out of the water (Sony audio gear is mostly crap anyway... they just cater to the amazingly idiotic video engineer market, who usually doesn't know SHIT about sound), and has been even better than the Senn's that I've used. They make some killer small diaphragms, SM81s, the industry standard in speach mics, SM7. Shure just makes good stuff. Even their cheap stuff is still good stuff. They're not like Mackie or Peavea, who are big names because they sell lots of inexpensive crap (notice I don't put Beringer in there, because Beringer KNOWS they sell crap, and they let everyone else know, and everyone loves them for it... hell, I buy Beringer crap, and it's great crap!). And Shure isn't Neumann, the Mercedes-Benz of the audio world, where putting their name on a product automatically nets them over a grand. No, Shure is Shure... they're slogan should be, "We shure make good stuff," because they do.

Okay... back to headphones. Yeah, out of my moderate experience, and talking with other pros, AKGs will put a smile on your face, they did mine. Oh, also, the cable is detatchable and replaceable, so if down the line, it ever breaks, or you want to switch to a coiled (telephone style) cable, you can do that. I wish my Senn 280Pros had that, or they'd still be working.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

I use Sennheiser HD 595's. They retail for 300 bucks, but if you look online you can find them for under 200. More money, but they'll last and sound a hell of a lot better.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »

Some Sony headsphones that I gots me at Best Buy after my old pair broke on the way to Washington DC the summer after freshman year of college while I was listening to The Shins in the car shortly after eating dinner at Panera Bread with the other two families we were going to Washington DC with.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »

The only Sony's I use anymore are the "Streetwear" (or whatever) head wraparound kind. I just use those for running/biking. They sound good for $20 headphone. Other than that, their monitor headphones are crap. Sony are pretty much consumer grade when it comes to headphones these days, I don't have any patience for them.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 03:31:34 AM »

I use Audio Technica ATH AD 700.
And Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm.

Ahh the Sennheiser HD 280 is very popular... but infamous for being uncomfortable with its vice grip and for falling apart. Also for not having the SQ to match its $99 (usually) price tag.
Sennheiser while they can be good if a person desires their sound signature their build quality is pretty bad.
The only ones that seem to last are the HD 555, 595, 600,650,800. And even then you can buy better unless you want/really like the Senn sound signature.

Actually Shure does make over the head headphones now.
They put out
SRH 240 -consumer,SRH 440,SRH 750DJ,and SRH 840.

I'm sure the TC already bought a new pair but you really don't have to spend that much to get a well built,good sounding headphones. You just gotta make sure to avoid the bad ones and spending under $40 is going to result in a lot of poor ones.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »

Stay away from the Senn 280 Pros. They sound great, but they fell apart very fast (build quality). You can do a lot better for your money. AKG, man.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »

If someone wanted a closed back headphone in that price range around $100 and a little less.

Its all about the Shure SRH 440 and Audio Technica M50.

Sennheiser 280 is just an overpriced,overrated HP and under performing just like the Sony MDR V6 another really popular one for no good reason.

But for a headphone in general each of these companies provide different sound signatures.

You got AKG,Audio Technica,Beyerdynamic,Denon,Sennheiser,Shure making high quality phones.

And Grado/Alessandro,Ultrasone and Stax making certain style, very different headphones which are simply not for everyone.

But as to which to get depends on what sound features you desire or genre you listen to and how much you want to pay.Since once your spending over $150+ you start running into mostly headphones that need headphone amps to run at full potential.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: