Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What headphones do you use?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What headphones do you use?  (Read 7814 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »

On almost the other end of the spectrum, I had to pop in again to say that a while ago, I bought a bluetooth headset made by Rocketfish.  Cost me about $50, but apparently, you can get them for about $27 now.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rocketfish+bluetooth+headphones&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13193931539127722604&ei=1mrpS63dCISmswOVq-H3Bw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

I love them.  They sound pretty good, and they mean no more stupid wires when I'm trying to listen to music.  They connect to my iPod Touch and my phone at the same time, and if a call comes in, answering the call pauses the music.  Then, when I hang up, it unpauses.  The one bad thing is that apparently the microphone quality is kinda crappy.  But since I rarely use them for actually talking on the phone, that doesn't matter to me. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »

But as to which to get depends on what sound features you desire or genre you listen to and how much you want to pay.Since once your spending over $150+ you start running into mostly headphones that need headphone amps to run at full potential.

Good point. My parents gave me a pair of AKGs back when I was in high school. I plugged them in and thought, "what the fuck, I can't hear shit". Yeah, they need headphone amps most of the time. Actually, I take that back. The K271s that I own now can be used without an amp, and they work pretty well, but you really can't crank it (bad for your ears anyway). But since I use them completely for studio work, and they're plugged into a digital mixer anyway (through a headphone amp, even), they're god.

Headphone mixers are cheap as shit though anyway. I have a 4-out Beringer I got for $20 that's been great. I actually would pay MORE for that would if I had too because it's really simple. A lot of headphone amps have lots of buttons and signal routing features. This has one TRS in, and 4 TRS out with 4 nobs: beautiful.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dcorban

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »

I use Sennheiser PX100. They are by far the best portable headphone I have ever used. Even though they are foldable and portable, they still work great. I use them for my laptop, ipod, PSone (with LCD)... I have several pairs. I think the MSRP is around $70-80, but you can find them for less online.

They are light, comfortable, have a very well balanced sound with very low and satisfying bass. They also include a hard plastic carrying case.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »

I use Audio Technica ATH AD 700.

Oh hey, these are the headphones I use too! Mostly with my TV and computer, I kind of suspect I'd get more out of it for TV (well, video game) use if I got the Astro MixAmp, but that's going to wait.

I also have the Sennheiser CX300s for portable listening. There's infinitely superior out there, no doubt, but for $25 headphones they're more than good enough.
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 04:59:16 AM »

@Prime Mover -Well headphone amps aren't just for volume.What they really are for is to give the headphone the electric power in current/voltage to let them sound how they should. I could plug my Beyerdynamic 880 600 ohms into a mp3 player and get enough volume but the SQ isn't there because it doesn't have enough power.

I don't hear much about the AKG 271 most people only talk about and own its open air brother AKG 701(white) 702 (black).
And some talk is about the older versions AKG 501,601.

@Eusis -you never use the ATH AD 700 for music listening?
I figure for any home listening you would use these over the cx300.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:03:50 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:54 AM »

@Eusis -you never use the ATH AD 700 for music listening?
I figure for any home listening you would use these over the cx300.
I do, at least when I feel like doing that rather than grabbing the nearby headset (which is a Sennheiser PC 151). The CX300 is mostly for portable devices like the PSP and DS anyways, the cord's too short to consider for long term PC listening even if I actually wanted to do that.
dcorban

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »

My only beef with the CX300 is the cabling. They get tangled very easily. Much more than my budget Sennheiser MX560 which I use exclusively with my Gameboy Micros.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

I just got the Audio Technica ATH-EM7 GMs. The clip on headphones. They sound amazing. Best portable headphones I've ever had.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »

I don't hear much about the AKG 271 most people only talk about and own its open air brother AKG 701(white) 702 (black).
And some talk is about the older versions AKG 501,601.

In the pro world, open air is a nono. Fine for live stuff, but a game killer in the studio, and the 271s are designed as studio monitors. So the 701s must be designed for live use or non-pro use. I have no use for open air. And for open airs, Grado seems to be the top cat (though I've never used them)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:21:58 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »

I use bargain bin headphones: Sennheiser HD201

A decent starting headphones, but look elsewhere rather quickly if you want a better experience.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:09:17 AM »

In the pro world, open air is a nono. Fine for live stuff, but a game killer in the studio, and the 271s are designed as studio monitors. So the 701s must be designed for live use or non-pro use. I have no use for open air. And for open airs, Grado seems to be the top cat (though I've never used them)

Yes I know.

I was just referring to that AKG 271 isn't a headphone you hear a lot about.When people talk about AKG its almost always the AKG 701 or the older ones AKG 501 and 601.
Most closed backs that get talked about is Denon AH D2000,5000,7000, Audio Technica M50 for its price. Audio Technica wood back models W5000,W1000x,Beyerdynamic DT 250,DT 770. And Shure's entry into headphones with the SRH 440,840,750DJ. And sometimes Ultrasone.

Open Air is loved among music listeners and audiophiles because they sound better than a closed back They also have a big sound stage and the instrument separation

Grado isn't anywhere near being the best. It has its fans but its also has a lot of hate. They are considered uncomfortable,bad build quality, and its sound signature a ton of treble. Its been called only good for rock and crap for anything else but some people say its decent at jazz.And even if you love rock you might really hate Grado.

Top dog open air headphones would be AKG 701/702,Beyerdynamic DT 880 and 990 600 ohm version,Sennheiser HD 600,650. And then Audio Technica and Grado has some love for their open headphones.
Just depends on what kind of sound signature and sound features you desire and how much do you want to spend.
There are other things to consider as well.

The actual top top dog is the Beyerdynamic Tesla and Sennheiser HD 800 but those cost $1000 and $1400 so obviously those are not going to have very many owners.

Closed backs has their fans,place and love but I would say most people into listening to and buying good headphones go with open air headphones. And some people get one of each a good closed back and a good open air headphone.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:48:31 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »

Seems like there are a lot of people here really in the know in the headphone world.  I'm in the market to buy a pair of good ones on a I'd say a budget of $100 or less.  I used to have a pair of Sennheiser's and a pair from Creative, but they're both old and have died of age.  I'm currently using a pair of cheap Sony Monitor headphones which were meant to be temporary until I could afford a good one and I think I'm finally there.  Anyway, what would you guys suggest?

I've never really liked any of the closed-back headphones that I've used, but I'm no pro and do no kind of studio work so I don't really need that.  Just something for at home in my room or long trips.  I checked out the Audio Technica headphones that were mentioned earlier and they seem just right but I'm worried about one thing that someone who may have used them can tell me about.  It seems they can't be adjusted and this is a potential problem for me.  Is the build really sturdy?  I have rather thick hair and I've been letting it grow lately and I hope that may not cause issues.  The cheap Sony headphones is pretty shitty plastic and is on the verge of snapping right at the points near my temples because my hair pushes it out.  I really wish there was a place I could go just try them on.

And any other headphones that might better suit me just shoot away.  I listen to a lot of Jazz, Lo-Fi/Downtempo Electronic type stuff, and Hip-Hop mostly, so I guess any headphones that are ideal for those sounds would be preferred. 
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:22 AM »

cheap Sony headphones from Wallmart. I refuse to invest in expensive headphones because I am lucky if a pair survives a month before I find a way to break them.  x__x
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »

It seems they can't be adjusted and this is a potential problem for me.  Is the build really sturdy?  I have rather thick hair and I've been letting it grow lately and I hope that may not cause issues.

The wings have the headphones auto adjust as you put them on. It's not a perfect solution, I've seen reviews saying they don't work as well for some people and for all I know that could be especially bad for your hair, but it's worked fine for me so far. I only get a bit of ear pain occasionally, and given how large my ears are that may well be the best I can hope for with headphones; at least they don't cause unbearable pain within a fairly short period of time.

Oh, as for build quality: they certainly feel like the most solidly built headphones I've ever used, but I'm not really a headphone enthusiast so others would be a better judge there.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

cheap Sony headphones from Wallmart. I refuse to invest in expensive headphones because I am lucky if a pair survives a month before I find a way to break them.  x__x

I think you just explained why. Cheap headphones break.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: