Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I have a question about Phantasy Star II (Don't worry, no spoilers here)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I have a question about Phantasy Star II (Don't worry, no spoilers here)  (Read 1987 times)
Crossblades

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

I recently downloaded Phantasy Star II on the Wii Virtual Console and I'm gonna start playing it as soon as I finish Phantasy Star IV (which is an awesome game btw). I was looking at some walkthroughs for Phantasy Star II and I've noticed that the walkthroughs I've been looking at there is almost no mention of boss fights, which I found a bit odd for an RPG. Does Phantasy Star II have very little boss fights?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:04:45 PM by Crossblades » Logged
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:00:55 PM »

It's true, there aren't many.

Crossblades

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »

It's true, there aren't many.

More or less, how many boss fights should I expect for the entire game?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »

There are 3 boss battles in Phantasy Star II.  4 if you count the unwinnable one.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Crossblades

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:40:42 PM »

There are 3 boss battles in Phantasy Star II.  4 if you count the unwinnable one.

Ok thank you. But despite havving so little bosses, this is still a good game to play yes?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

Since when does the number of boss battles determine a game's ability to entertain?  I haven't played 2 yet, but I know a few people who claim it as their favorite, so I'd assume it's at least worth the time to play.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »

In PS2, every random encounter is pretty much a boss fight.

this is still a good game to play yes?

No. Not because of the limited number of bosses, but because it's nothing but an endless grindfest with really atrocious dungeon designs. There's no real innovation what so ever, no balance, nothing really INTERESTING. Just really horrible dungeons and random encounters and grinding.

Phantasy Star 1's a much better game. Despite being a bit of a grindfest at time, it's a much *quicker* grind and it's nowhere NEAR as constant.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:52:36 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

There are 3 boss battles in Phantasy Star II.  4 if you count the unwinnable one.

Ok thank you. But despite having so few bosses, this is still a good game to play, right?

You made a mistake playing 4 first. It is far more accessible and a just plain better game(minus a few things I won't go into)
II is a total grindfest, and almost unplayable compared to modern rpgs. I loved it when it first came out, but I wouldn't go near it now. If you don't mnid the grind, and tough dungeons, go for it. I did love the setting, and overall feeling of the game. Plus, the music is pretty good, too.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »

To be fair, it does give you the option to save anywhere.

That said, the game is basically one colossal boss fight in of itself.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »

Ugh, so many people seem to recall their childhood experience with PSII or something in terms of the game's difficulty.  The difficulty is more or less along the lines of a typical Dragon Quest game, with the lone exception that some of the dungeons are absolutely absurd in terms of their layouts.  Fights themselves are generally pretty easy, but much like DQ, the game assumes you farm for the best gear at each location (note: NOT an essential as I found in my most recent complete play half a year or so ago).  If you're the sort who likes to skip upgrades or not carrying healing items, you're pretty much screwed.  This may be a different story in the remake, but since we aren't going to get that, I can only go off of the versions we got.

PSIV is better though.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »

but much like DQ, the game assumes you farm for the best gear at each location

Not only does DQ not assume this (past the, uh, first two?), farming for the best gear at each location is counter intuitive because you usually find it for free in the next dungeon.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »

Not only does DQ not assume this (past the, uh, first two?), farming for the best gear at each location is counter intuitive because you usually find it for free in the next dungeon.

Yeah, if you actually do that in most DQs you're going to have a miserable time unless you really love grinding. Generally being somewhat smart and/or leaving the AI on is plenty.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »

Yeah, if you actually do that in most DQs you're going to have a miserable time unless you really love grinding. Generally being somewhat smart and/or leaving the AI on is plenty.

However some gear is worth getting as soon as possible for the sake of using them in battle to conserve TP which will always be a problem without them. Of course the Nei gear is the worst since you're actually required to obtain them to proceed to the final part of the game (and they''re hidden in some of the worst dungeons too).

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 01:21:50 AM »

Just for clarification, I don't think it's any more necessary to farm the gear in the DQ series than it is PSII, I was just using that as an analogy because most RPG series let you steamroll the content without you ever so much as hitting the store for upgrades.  However, if you take the time to buy the best equipment, you can easily get through most of PSII just as with the DQ series - the only caveat being you still need to exercise a modicum of strategy from time to time (keeping character health at a reasonable level if enemies gang up on them, etc.).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »

Just for clarification, I don't think it's any more necessary to farm the gear in the DQ series than it is PSII, I was just using that as an analogy because most RPG series let you steamroll the content without you ever so much as hitting the store for upgrades.  However, if you take the time to buy the best equipment, you can easily get through most of PSII just as with the DQ series - the only caveat being you still need to exercise a modicum of strategy from time to time (keeping character health at a reasonable level if enemies gang up on them, etc.).

The problem with the DQ analogy is that equipping equipment based solely on their Attack or Defense rating is a bad idea. Its always more important to equip based on resistances instead.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: