Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340965 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Zero
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Zero  (Read 8293 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

Im a bit curious about this game, figure id ask some of you folks who have picked it up.  Is it mostly just for the want to play with friends crowd?  Or is the single player pretty decent?  I enjoyed the single player of the original games, but the PSO stuff has been rather bleh, and I was curious as to what you guys think regarding the single player campaign, as I don't really have any buddies I can play with.  Ive read the few reviews I can find but I guess I wasnt satisfied with what they said.

Thanks.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »

Single player is great, i really like this game, also each race have its own single character story, the story itself is OK, not OMFG but OK xD.
If u need people to play it dont worry, there is an option for free play that it pairs you with random ppl around your lvl, there are also forums like ps0 sega's forum where you can easily trade friend codes (i have like 40 buddies already).
Any other question you'd like to ask, ill try to help :D

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »

I'll bump this thread once I've had a chance to play.  I actually liked Phantasy Star Portable pretty well-- though the camera was a problem at times-- so I expect I'll like this as well.

Alfa System Forever
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »

Ummm the camera isnt good, at least it bothers sometimes, but, personally, i think is not something that doesnt lets you play, and im already used to be using the L button to centering the camera to where are you looking... Its not good, but i dont think is bad either xD, i havent seen many people saying the camera is bad either so it really isnt that unconfortable...

Compared to PSportable i think is almost the same, though the DS screen is smaller

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »

Being as huge of a fan of PSO as I was in middle school (played it a good 800-1000 hours) I picked this up yesterday along with my brother and 2 friends. We played offline multi-player for 4 hours straight and had a blast. Just like old times. I hated PSU, but this is exactly what I've been wanting (other than a PS3/360 PSO game).

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »

Being as huge of a fan of PSO as I was in middle school (played it a good 800-1000 hours) I picked this up yesterday along with my brother and 2 friends. We played offline multi-player for 4 hours straight and had a blast. Just like old times. I hated PSU, but this is exactly what I've been wanting (other than a PS3/360 PSO game).

i hated psu as well but maybe ill give this a shot. even though character creation when i tried on a rom months ago sucked balls.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

Yeah, the character creation is very limited, but oh well. Still tons of fun to be had.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »

I was a big fan of both PSO/PSU myself, but I think I'm more inclined to play Portable 2, after spending like, 30 hours on the DEMO of all things. I may pick up Zero on a price drop though. Depends on how many people I know are playing it online, I guess.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

I never did get the chance to try PSO back in the day, but this looks like it'd be fun to try.  Are the difference between this and PSU drastically different in terms of gameplay and such?  Or is it merely cosmetic, where the characters in PS0 look more cartoonish than the PSU models.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »

One of the biggest difference, in my opinion is story (i feel this one's to be 10 times better, and characters of the story dont ignore your excistence like in PSOU). Also the online play, it isnt laggy at all, and is free :D.
Well in the end i must say ive enjoyed this one much more than the ps2 one, even better since is portable

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 02:37:45 AM »

I never did get the chance to try PSO back in the day, but this looks like it'd be fun to try.  Are the difference between this and PSU drastically different in terms of gameplay and such?  Or is it merely cosmetic, where the characters in PS0 look more cartoonish than the PSU models.

The battle system in PSO requires timed button presses instead of mashing attack like in PSU/PSP and that is one of the main reasons I like it more.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »

Picking this game up in 3 weeks. Make me Proud PSZ or to the sales floor with ya.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 01:22:51 AM »

@ Blace & WildArms:

Thanks for that.  While I seriously doubt I'll ever care much for the online mode, everything else sounds like fun.  I think someone on here also mentioned that the character creation was a lot more limited than PSU.  That's a bummer, as that tends to be one of my most favorite things about PSU.  Still, It can work around that.

I'll probably pick this up next week, funds allowing.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »

@ Blace & WildArms:

Thanks for that.  While I seriously doubt I'll ever care much for the online mode, everything else sounds like fun.  I think someone on here also mentioned that the character creation was a lot more limited than PSU.  That's a bummer, as that tends to be one of my most favorite things about PSU.  Still, It can work around that.

I'll probably pick this up next week, funds allowing.

in PSU that was a double edged sword for me. sure it had good character customization but the characters had no visual identity.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

Anyway the customization isnt that bad if u arent going to be using online mode too much :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: