Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grandia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Grandia  (Read 5854 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »

I played Grandia at that age when the JRPG cliches were still rather fresh and interesting to me, as well as being that age when I thought going on a journey like Justin was to be the best thing that could ever happen. I think Grandia's a really endearing game because it doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time(Something a lot of JRPGs need to follow). It was one of those few "grand adventure stories" where I really got that feeling I was going on an adventure with the characters.

Maybe it has to do with playing the PS1 version that came two years after the Saturn one, but I still found it cliched then. However, I do feel they nailed the sense of adventure into new, undiscovered areas from the story angle more than just about any other RPG has. Each place actually came off as exotic and foreign, with unique architecture styles and the people being JUST different enough. Skies of Arcadia's the best comparison I can think of, and it's not as strong there simply because all the areas are blatantly based off reality or at least common images.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:09:37 AM »

I played Grandia at that age when the JRPG cliches were still rather fresh and interesting to me, as well as being that age when I thought going on a journey like Justin was to be the best thing that could ever happen. I think Grandia's a really endearing game because it doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time(Something a lot of JRPGs need to follow). It was one of those few "grand adventure stories" where I really got that feeling I was going on an adventure with the characters.

That's what I liked about it too.

I thought the progression of Justin and Feena actually felt natural as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »

Eh, by fresh I mostly meant that anime stereotypes hadn't gotten to the point where it irritated me yet, because I really didn't watch that much anime back then other than Miyazaki and a couple kids shows. if you had already played a bunch of JRPGs/watched tons of anime by the time you got to Grandia a lot of it would've been cliche to you, definately.

But, even going back to play it today, I think it captures the spirit where anime cliches work.

I've never played Skies of Arcadia (That with no Grandia 2 should get a couple crowds ready to lynch me), so the only game I can think of off the top of my head that drew me into its world as much as Grandia was Phantasy Star Online.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »

I thought the progression of Justin and Feena actually felt natural as well.
I have to agree here, and it also demonstrates my point of Grandia being a "coming-of-age" adventure.  Justin goes from being a "Silly little boy playing adventurer" to a "travel-worn young man" over the course of the game.  The changes are subtle at first, but are still progressive and you can see how events throughout the story opens up Justin's eyes to not only how the world at large works, but personal relationships (particularly with Feena) as well.  Personally, I think Justin's development as a character is one of the better ones in any game to date because the game allows itself that kind of time.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »

I liked Grandia a great deal. Like Hathen, I played it when I was pretty new to the JRPG cliche, so the story was awesome to me, and I echo the sentiment about the battle system and the music: both excellent.

I have it in disc form, but I'm actually waiting for a hopeful US PSN release so I can play it on my PSP.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »

I was obsessed with Grandia 1 and 2. And they are still a couple of my favorite games, even now. I don't give a shit about cliches (I never do actually :P), the battles, music, and town/level designs are still some of the best I've ever come across. Definitely try and give Grandia a shot, if you ever come across it.

I actually kinda liked 3, myself, but I agree with Dincrest that it completely lost its point later on. Especially once you hit disk 2. Plotholes galore! Hell, one of the villians just disappears from the storyline completely, without warning. Sadly, the music wasn't some of Iwadare's good work either... D:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:29:45 AM by Dizzy » Logged

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

Yeah grandia 3 failed in story, but everything else was good, the battles still were hardcore, but not as hardcore as grandia 2, i remember how hard were some boss battles in grandia 2 darn it! i think is the only game i actually got tired of repeating battles to kill one boss! it took me like 2 days D:, it was the main's char brother or somethign like that

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »

But, even going back to play it today, I think it captures the spirit where anime cliches work.

Word to yo motha fo' diss, foo.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »

When considering a purchase of Grandia, I ask myself some key questions.  Would I pay inflated eBay prices for a hard copy?  Probably not.  Would I pay $5.99 for it if it appeared on PSN for download?  Absolutely. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »

Grandia was one of the first RPG's I ever played, which I think really changes my perspective on it.  It's one of the few games that really feels like an adventure.  I guess it just has a good scale to it.  I also remember intentionally getting injured by traps in a dungeon just so I could raise my healing magic and go back to a rainbow save point and get all my mana back.  I tried to replay it a few years ago but I remember being very turned off by the graphics, which haven't held up very well over the years.  But what PS1 game has, really?  I'd say it's definitely worth a play through if you can remember what generation RPG you're playing. :P

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »

*a few minor spoilers ahead*

Grandia II was actually one of my first 10 RPGs, I got it for PC back before I had any systems (still better than the PS2 version). I absolutely loved it... some of the best translation and dialog in any game. Great voice acting, really fun battle system. The last third suffers some major problems with resurrection syndrome IMO, and pissed me off, but aside from that, a lot of the game is really good.

Grandia III was a disaster. Wow. It had some good things going, and then totally dropped the ball. Parental figure in the story/party, flying an airplane, a revamped and improved battle system... some great things. Then the airplane thing completely dies after the first 1/3rd, said Parental figure (who's relationships are the most thoughtful in the game) suddenly leaves for no explained reason, and you're left with a completely drab cast with no ingenuity, no soul, and more cliches than Star Ocean. I finally made a point of stopping playing the game one day.

Grandia I - I came back to only about a year ago. I thought it was really quite fun. Full of cliches, yes, but didn't take itself too seriously. Unfortunately, I was borrowing it from a friend who was a major fan, a total completionist, and who kept pointing out the fact that I had been missing certain artifacts (mana eggs?) and that I should go back and find them. He didn't mean to, but it sorta ruined my enjoyment of it, and I eventually started playing something else (Mass Effect maybe). I don't hold it against the game, and hope that some day maybe I can replay it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »

As already mentioned here, Grandia actually makes you feel like you're on trip traveling to some far away place. I loved those scenes showing Justin and Feena sitting at the bonfire talking after a long day of travel...I'm not sure why more games don't it. It's a perfect opportunity for some character development. Infinite Undiscovery had one scene like that with Capel and Aya and I think it worked very well. It's just really immersive.

Also, Grandia has my favorite battle system of all JRPGs. It's quick but lets you strategize. It is a little bit on the easy side (I don't think I died even once
), but I recall at least one optional dungeon (some sort of haunted house, I believe) that had pretty challenging enemies.

I still haven't had a chance to play Grandia II, but I picked a copy recently and am planning on playing it at some point.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »

tl;dr

If you can get past the voice-acting and linear fashion, you're good. Two secret dungeons, which coincidentally are located in the same area, but that's it. Definitely better than Grandia III. I haven't played enough of Grandia II to compare, and Xtreme isn't even a factor to the quality of "good" here. I liked Xtreme's music, but that's it.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »

tl;dr

If you can get past the voice-acting and linear fashion, you're good. Two secret dungeons, which coincidentally are located in the same area, but that's it. Definitely better than Grandia III. I haven't played enough of Grandia II to compare, and Xtreme isn't even a factor to the quality of "good" here. I liked Xtreme's music, but that's it.
Some of the dungeons were in Grandia Xtreme were awesome, but the game was all about the dungeons and battle system; the towns, plot, and character-development were nil, next to non-existent.

The Water, Wind, Illusion, Dark, and Light Ruins were my favorite. Pretty much, I thought all the dungeons were cool, except for the first two, which were pretty typical.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

I bought it on eBay about six months ago, but the game locks up on me in a certain area every time I enter it, so I've never been able to play it past the four hour mark.

Shame, too, since that gameplay was killer.

Hey I'm not alone. My game freezes up in a certain area too. Especially sucky considering I'm like two away from the final dungeon.

As for my thoughts on Grandia, I played it after I played Grandia II. I kinda wish I played it when it first came out, maybe I would appreciate it more. Some things I didn't like about the game: some dungeons were just too long, leveling magic was a chore, too easy, and didn't care much for the story. It's a worthwhile game to experience though. Like many, I'm a fan of the battle system.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: