Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 08:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335318 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grandia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Grandia  (Read 5877 times)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

Actually, I played Grandia a year ago on my PS and the game froze on me as well. I was able to continue on with my PS3 unhindered but maybe that was a fluke.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »

tl;dr

If you can get past the voice-acting and linear fashion, you're good. Two secret dungeons, which coincidentally are located in the same area, but that's it.

I registered just so I can make a quick correction here.  There are actually three dungeons, the third being arguably the hardest area in the game.  The two dungeons you mentioned are actually the easy ones.

Not to get away from the topic, Grandia is one of my absolute favorite games of all time, despite its flaws.  There are certain defining moments at around the 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through that you realize everything you've done and seen is just the beginning. While I typically dislike stories with younger protagonists, Justin matures realistically over the course of the game, as does his relationship with the heroine. It's not love at first site and they don't magically fall in love with each other, instead they begin to develop first with respect, then friendship and trust, and finally romance. I feel that the composition in Grandia has Iwadare's best work, but I'm likely in the minority here.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »

What you described is one of the things I like the most about it, actually.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Lol they call the bar a "cafe" xD, (there is even a post of woman's leg in the entrance of the shop)   *currently playing it*

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »

Did you catch the part where they referred to beer as coffee?  I found that hilarious!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »

Lol they call the bar a "cafe" xD, (there is even a post of woman's leg in the entrance of the shop)   *currently playing it*

You know, normally I'd think that'd show just how dumb and inaccurate the switch is, but Starbucks's logo was once of a naked mermaid. Though the flipside is that Starbucks shows that no one's going to think twice of a kid going into a cafe.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »

But it's a cafe that's only open at night.  My memory concerning pre-Starbucks coffeeshop hours are kind of blotchy, but I can't think of coffeeshops or cafes that were night only hours like the one in Parm.

I just find it hilarious because the localization didn't use the usual alcohol->milk switch most did back then to make things "kid-safe".

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »

But it's a cafe that's only open at night.  My memory concerning pre-Starbucks coffeeshop hours are kind of blotchy, but I can't think of coffeeshops or cafes that were night only hours like the one in Parm.

I just find it hilarious because the localization didn't use the usual alcohol->milk switch most did back then to make things "kid-safe".

Yeah haha xD, they changed alll the alcohol/beer related to cofee and even cofee beans xD, its pretty lame but it made me laught
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:26:43 PM by WildArms » Logged

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »

I wouldn't say Grandia is worth it since the PSX port is awful, freezes often (then again my discs were scratched up well), the voice acting is terrible, and the story sucks. The battle system is its only redeeming aspect in my opinion.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »

Dude, this game is so good, and ive always disliked childish main characters, but i actually started to like justin. Man its been a while since i played one of these good ol' JRPG, what i like the most is that almost for every thing random people in town says the characters from the partys participates in the conversation, and their dialogues are also updated as things int he game advance, and is not just 1 dialogue, most of them have 2 different dialogues. Like for example, you talk to someone, he says, "yo justin i saw you did a prank on my son!" and then justin says "what?! i dunno anything about that" and then the conversation is over, you press X to talk again with the dude and is a different thing or like a continuation of what he said before. Really, this is a great system to get to know the party well xD, like the skit system on tales games

Hervey

HerveyRobinson@HotMail.com
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

I've decided that I want the best PS1 RPG's available before they become expensive in an unfathomable way. I already have all the PS1 Final Fantasies plus Suikoden I and II. So I was wondering if Grandia is worth it. I've read reviews for it and they're all very positive, but I want to hear from people who have played the game.

What are your opinions on this game? Do you like the battle system and story?

Any input would be greatly appreciated to help me decide.
so you heard eveyones opinnion so will you get it or not

*Hervey*
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:55 PM »

what i like the most is that almost for every thing random people in town says the characters from the partys participates in the conversation, and their dialogues are also updated as things int he game advance, and is not just 1 dialogue, most of them have 2 different dialogues. Like for example, you talk to someone, he says, "yo justin i saw you did a prank on my son!" and then justin says "what?! i dunno anything about that" and then the conversation is over, you press X to talk again with the dude and is a different thing or like a continuation of what he said before. Really, this is a great system to get to know the party well xD

That is something I also love in RPGs and unfortunately we don't see it often enough.  If you've never played the Lunar games, then you gotta try them as they have the exact same party interaction with NPCs that Grandia has.  Not surprising given that it's the same developer who made both series.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »

Oh :O yeah ive always wanted to play lunar, ill be sure to play it soon, a friend is going to lend me it... great im gonna enjoy lunar series then xD

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: