Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331888 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Akira Yamaoka Leaves Konami After 16 Years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Akira Yamaoka Leaves Konami After 16 Years  (Read 6711 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

Wasn't really sure where to put this but.....

Several weeks ago my contact at Konami Japan contacted me with some startling news. Now, at last, I’m finally able to exclusively reveal that – after sixteen years at the company – Akira Yamaoka has left Konami.

It would appear that he has left the company entirely rather than moving to another international division. As you would expect, there has been no formal confirmation from Konami, so right now this is an unconfirmed rumour – albeit one generated from a pretty reliable source.

To date there’s no news yet as to what Yamaoka plans to do next. Since leaving Konami he has been in the States and is now currently in Europe, seemingly on vacation.

You might wonder why I’m writing this, but trust me – in many regards, Yamaoka is Silent Hill. I’m intrigued as to how Konami will proceed as I – and no doubt many others – find it very hard to envisage any Silent Hill game without Yamaoka’s trademark sound. I like to think that I have an open mind, but if this turns out to be true, this is sad news indeed.

http://www.aeropause.com/2009/11/aki...fter-16-years/

Sad, but in a way this takes the lame horse of SH and shoots it in the head, like it deserves.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »

SILENT HILL ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE, THEREFORE THE SERIES DESERVES TO END.

THE SECOND ANYTHING EVER TURNS OUT LESS THAN WHAT YOU EXPECTED, YOU SHOULD JUST QUIT RIGHT THERE BECAUSE IT CAN NEVER GET BETTER.

Hearing you whine about SH games is like listening to a 3 year old.  Get over yourself, Homecoming was a great game.

Anyways, I've heard that he's just on vacation, so until this is confirmed it's pretty much meaningless.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »

Oh shut up.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »

Alright, some things I want to get out:

1. Composers leaving companies like this is hardly unusual, and they may still do work for them anyway. Just look at Nobuo Uematsu for FFXIV's soundtrack, or going beyond composers look at how Treasure developed some games for Konami despite leaving to get more creative freedom.

2. How involved was Akira Yamaoka involved with Silent Hill beyond composing anyway? I'm not convinced he was actually that relevant given how some of the recent games have apparently turned out, which leads to...

3. I'm hearing Shattered Memories is a pretty good game in its own right, but just doesn't feel like Silent Hill. I'll have to play it first, but arguably that might be reason enough to just scrap the series and launch a new horror series that serves as a successor, throw off the old baggage and start over. Not that this seems likely, nowadays it seems corporations are far more inclined to use a familiar name, no matter how irrelevant, than come up with something new.

Edit: Actually, I have to admit that the lack of starting new series is just as much a fault of the consumers, if not infinitely moreso. It is safer to just stick with a known name, but it just builds up more and more until there's just no space for anything new to even try.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:08:50 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

2. How involved was Akira Yamaoka involved with Silent Hill beyond composing anyway? I'm not convinced he was actually that relevant given how some of the recent games have apparently turned out, which leads to...

I believe he was credited as a producer of the series since SH Origins or maybe SH 4.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

I believe he was credited as a producer of the series since SH Origins or maybe SH 4.

Man, that probably just proves my point.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »

Which one?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »

Which one?

That he wasn't particularly relevant to the series, at least when it actually mattered. I haven't played SH4 or SH:O but I know SH4 was wildly different and SH:O wasn't received particularly well (and on paper it sounds like it was more or less unnecessary exposition), and it doesn't sound like he's all that relevant to Shattered Memories either.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:05:47 PM by Eusis » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

SH:0 wasn't just unnecessary exposition, it was completely retarded and ruined the continuity and meaning of SH1 and 3.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »

SILENT HILL ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE, THEREFORE THE SERIES DESERVES TO END.

THE SECOND ANYTHING EVER TURNS OUT LESS THAN WHAT YOU EXPECTED, YOU SHOULD JUST QUIT RIGHT THERE BECAUSE IT CAN NEVER GET BETTER.

Hearing you whine about SH games is like listening to a 3 year old.  Get over yourself, Homecoming was a great game.

Anyways, I've heard that he's just on vacation, so until this is confirmed it's pretty much meaningless.

He's right though. Silent Hill has not been "Silent Hill" since the second game. Everything else has either been a completely mis-branded product, or poorly designed.

Yamaoka's work is integral to Silent Hill being what it is at all. Without its music, a critical component of the series is lost. It'd be like Bit.Trip.Beat without the key art direction. Not that Yamaoka can save a badly designed iteration of the series, but his absence is one more nail in SH's coffin.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

He's right though. Silent Hill has not been "Silent Hill" since the second game. Everything else has either been a completely mis-branded product, or poorly designed.

What was wrong with SH3?  I personally felt it was much better than the second one, and I know a lot of people consider it better than the first.  And despite what people say, Homecoming was a damn good survival/horror game, and is much closer to SH roots then any other Horror series I can name is to their own.

Unless you're talking about the fact that Team Silent hasn't worked on the series since 2, but that's kind of pushing it.  Megaman is still Megaman, even though Inafune hasn't worked on the series proper since the first couple.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

What was wrong with SH3?  I personally felt it was much better than the second one, and I know a lot of people consider it better than the first.  And despite what people say, Homecoming was a damn good survival/horror game, and is much closer to SH roots then any other Horror series I can name is to their own.

I thought 3 was fine, and was really the last of the good games.
4 was okay, and an interesting experiment.

As for the rest....Origins was cliched and completely pointless and Homecoming was bad fan fiction.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

Silent Hill stopped being relevant to me when it stopped being a Japanese game. Japanese games have a very different feel from the Western ones. And as Silent Hill was passed on to a Western developer, that feel was definitely lost. Silent Hill was a distinctly Japanese brand of horror despite the Western setting. Now it`s something else entirely.  So, Yamaoka or no Yamaoka kinda doesn`t really matter anymore.

As for how important Yamaoka was to the series... Not as important as Toyama, Tsuboyama, Owaku and Ito. His music compositions are good, yes. But the sound isn`t really that much better than what can be found in Forbidden Siren and(to a much lesser extent) Fatal Frame.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »

I liked his stuff. I especially like Silent Hill 1-3 (game and sounds). I liked 4 to an extent. After Team Silent disbanded (The director moved to SCEJ/Team Japan if I remember correctly)... Well Silent Hill hasn't been the same.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:02:52 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »

After Team Silent disbanded (The director moved to SCEJ/Team Japan if I remember correctly)... Well Silent Hill hasn't been the same.

You are aware that Team Silent hasn't been completely together since the very first game, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: