Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327181 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone here have a PS3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Anyone here have a PS3?  (Read 3687 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »

Not really, it's for people who have the time to do it.

That's my problem - plenty of games I liked, and some I didn't get around to originally.  Just don't have the time to get back to them between work, personal life, and new games that are also worthy of being played.  I mean, I've got an unopened copy of Dragon Quest VIII just waiting for me, but I know it's a biggie, and to quote a wise man, "I'm just not ready for that kind of a commitment!"

(from Albuquerque: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8293203147995019225#)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »

I wanted backwards compatibility, until I realized that I might as well just buy a new PS3 AND PS2 rather than scour the market for a launch model PS3 (which isn't 100% compatible with PS2 games either--more like 99% with some glitches, most notably the save glitches).  In my case, I still have a working PS2.  It was just the fanboy in me that wanted the "best" PS3 possible.

If you have a launch model PS3, great.  Not much reason to buy one at this point however.  Not with how the market currently is.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »

Personally I think the YLOD is more than enough reason to not bother. I can have a complete system that's excessively hot and somewhat prone to failing, or I can pay less and get two fully capable, more reliable (hopefully) systems with only the downside of PS2 games possibly not looking QUITE as nice on an HDTV... and for all I know modern upscaling hardware may have negated the PS3's advantage anyway.
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »

How is the Ps1 backwards capability? Is it buggy? I want to know everything before I plunk down $300 on a game system.

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »

I know this isn't what you asked, but I use my PS3 mainly as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, and I'm very happy with it in that capacity.  It upscales my DVDs beautifully, and I like that the remote is bluetooth rather than IR.  Even if you don't use/like the PS1 stuff, it does a great job of the other stuff.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »

I know this isn't what you asked, but I use my PS3 mainly as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, and I'm very happy with it in that capacity.  It upscales my DVDs beautifully, and I like that the remote is bluetooth rather than IR.  Even if you don't use/like the PS1 stuff, it does a great job of the other stuff.

Same here. I'm almost up to 100 Blu-rays in my collection now. I have 14 games for it I think. I have a slim though so I have to use my PS2 if I want to play my 40+games I have for the system. Trust me, even with the HD cables and setting the PS2 right, the games still look horrendous. I wish my PS3 could play them, but I wouldn't trade mine in for a fat PS3 ever.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

How is the Ps1 backwards capability? Is it buggy? I want to know everything before I plunk down $300 on a game system.

Mostly perfect as far as I can tell, the only issue I've actually noticed was a slight desync between the voice acting and animation in Mega Man Legends 2 (it's probably there in 1 too). I recall people noticing some slight artifacting for games that use 480i rather than 240p like Chrono Cross's menus, but I haven't seen it for myself and for all I know it could've been patched.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »

Hello

I recently got a PS3 slim for the bedroom to play blu-rays on mostly. Its hooked up to a 42" Panasonic Plasma. I tried FF VI from Anthology this afternoon and was pretty impressed with the picture quality. I had it in normal screen mode and the smoothing set to on. I checked the info on what the tv was outputting and it showed 1080P. I made an internal mem card and that worked just fine also.

I do find it strange that if its not backwards compatible with PS2 games why is there an option to create a PS2 internal memory card?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:08:59 PM by Datastorm » Logged

doh
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

I don't understand why they'd get rid of the PS2 backwards compatibility. I want to get this thing out of my living room and just let my PS3 handle PS1 to PS3 games.

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »

Bringing hardware costs down.  There's also the potential for Sony to profit by doing some tweaking to PS2 software, then repackaging and reselling old PS2 games all over again.  See: God of War Collection.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

Removing BC was one of the measures to lower the console's price.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »

I do find it strange that if its not backwards compatible with PS2 games why is there an option to create a PS2 internal memory card?

1: You can back up PS2 saves with an adapter, which is a handy feature even if the system doesn't actually play them.

2: It was likely a holdover from when the system COULD play PS2 games, and it was easier to just leave it in the code and say it's for backup memory then to remove it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

1: You can back up PS2 saves with an adapter, which is a handy feature even if the system doesn't actually play them.

I have that adapter, and as far as I can tell it's only capable of *reading* PS2 cards.  There does not appear to be any way to write to them.  So that wouldn't make a terribly useful backup.  Unless you just take comfort in knowing that your data exists somewhere ;)

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »

I have that adapter, and as far as I can tell it's only capable of *reading* PS2 cards.

Right..... try hitting triangle once you have the inserted memory card highlighted and choose the option that says 'Copy.' Same thing for copying files to the card itself.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:52:04 PM by Jet16 » Logged
GHDpro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 06:23:39 PM »

I have that adapter, and as far as I can tell it's only capable of *reading* PS2 cards.  There does not appear to be any way to write to them.  So that wouldn't make a terribly useful backup.  Unless you just take comfort in knowing that your data exists somewhere ;)

I'm pretty sure I did not have a problem last summer playing DQ8 on my PS3 (BC launch model), then copying the save on a PS2 memory card (using official memory card adapter) playing it on my PS2 while I was away (didn't want to bring the PS3 with me as it weighs a ton) and then continuing playing on the PS3 when I got back.

Although it's true that initially you could only read memory cards. But that has been long since fixed in a firmware update.

Now to chip in on the actual topic... I love my PS3 but I too mainly use it for DVD/BD playback. Only when I really get into games (such as DQ8 last summer, and VC before that) the balance shifts towards games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: