Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 02:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Custom-Building a PC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Custom-Building a PC  (Read 5473 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:13:50 AM »

Okay folks, I need a box for Ubuntu and Windows 7, something reasonably capable of doing graphic design work as well as playing games. I've started piecing together a few items I'd like, but I need input. Firstly, I've never done this before so I need to make sure I have everything for a PC. Secondly, I'm not sure if all my parts work together well. Here's my list:

GeForce GTS 250 512 MB - $120
OCZ Gold 6GB 240-Pint DDR3 SDRAM - $169
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - $94
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $89
APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply - $35
LITE-ON Black 4x Blue-Ray - $69
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer - $39
AMD Phenom II X3 2.8 GHZ Tri-Core - $134
Hanns-G HH241HPB 23.6 HDMI LCD Monitor - $210

(total, with tax added is $1093, approximately)

Does this work? Am I missing anything? Most of all, do you guys have any suggestions to modify this list? I'm looking to build it at under $1000 before the monitor. The monitor itself is really just an extra for if I have the money.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:15:35 AM by Hidoshi » Logged
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:07:39 AM »

GeForce GTS 250 512 MB - $120
Is there any place in particular you want to buy from? Or will something like newegg be fine?

If youre getting Windows 7, then you probably want DirectX 11. As far as I know, the GTS 250 does not support DX11 and is a DX10 card. Get rid of the 250 and get an ATI card. The HD5850 is great and will stomp on the GTS 250.

OCZ Gold 6GB 240-Pint DDR3 SDRAM - $169
EDIT: The motherboard is dual channel and you won't be able to use 3x2gb sticks, so just go with the G.SKILL ones.

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - $94
Looks good to me.

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $89
I would go with a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX. NOTE!!!!!! IF YOU BUY IT FROM NEWEGG, YOU CAN GET A COMBO DEAL WHICH INCLUDES THE MOTHEBOARD AND THE CPU FOR $194 AS OPPOSED TO $234!!!!!!!!

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply - $35
You're going to need more than 500W. Grab a OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V.

LITE-ON Black 4x Blue-Ray - $69
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer - $39
I don't know too much about CD/Blu-Ray drives and normally tend to go with generic crap. These should do fine.

AMD Phenom II X3 2.8 GHZ Tri-Core - $134
Good choice!

Hanns-G HH241HPB 23.6 HDMI LCD Monitor - $210
Looks good to me.

Ill get the price to you in a second...

I emailed everything to you. Note that I also included the OS, but if you don't want it, feel free to take it out. I also assume you have a case? If you don't, grab a coolermaster CM690.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:16:15 AM by Noobien » Logged

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

Ah, thanks kindly for the tips. I just realised I have an ancient email listed on my profile. Could you resend to hidoshi@gmail.com? Thanks.

Edit: Also, all the prices I have are based around newegg.ca, so I'm good with them. :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:54:52 AM by Hidoshi » Logged
Noobien

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »

No problem. Give me a minute.

EDIT: Because of the lack of bundling/combo deals and whatnot, the price comes to just under $1000 without the screen and OS. If you want to go a little bit lower, just let me know. Everything is in the email.

EDIT2: I sent another possible setp to you. Be sure to check both.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:52:29 PM by Noobien » Logged

Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

I would drop that seagate and get a Western Digital Velociraptor,  your computer will thank you:)

doh
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

As much as I appreciate the recommendation, I've had no end of troubles with WD drives. No less than sixteen WD drives have gone belly up on me, be it through family computers, my own purchases, or inherited drives. WD is a totally blacklisted company in my world.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »

Have you made this PC?

I got some input but if its already too late, I won't bother nit picking lol
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

Not yet no, not until March pretty much.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 02:31:24 AM »

Oh if its that far away...

I have an excel sheet I use at home to build PCs and price them.

I'll put something together and post it for you or email it to you or something this weekend when I get home.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »

As much as I appreciate the recommendation, I've had no end of troubles with WD drives. No less than sixteen WD drives have gone belly up on me, be it through family computers, my own purchases, or inherited drives. WD is a totally blacklisted company in my world.

Really, wow, thats shocking to me. Have had nothing but great luck with them, wouldn't use anything else in my builds.... Have used the raptor line extensively, really shaves boot up times off....Yes you will get bad drives none of them are immune to fail.....

So what did you do with the 16 replacement drives that you got from WD or were they all out of warranty?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:59:47 AM by Datastorm » Logged

doh
Noobien

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »

Oh if its that far away...

I have an excel sheet I use at home to build PCs and price them.

I'll put something together and post it for you or email it to you or something this weekend when I get home.
Just out of interest mate, would you mind posting it here? I'm curious since I was planning to use this myself for my new PC and if there's something to be imporved upon, I would gladly hear it :)

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »

Really, wow, thats shocking to me. Have had nothing but great luck with them, wouldn't use anything else in my builds.... Have used the raptor line extensively, really shaves boot up times off....Yes you will get bad drives none of them are immune to fail.....

So what did you do with the 16 replacement drives that you got from WD or were they all out of warranty?

Most were out of warranty, though I did get my money back on two (and got Seagates instead! Tah-dah!). 14/16 though being a waste of money were real deal-breakers over WD. Most builders I know personally hate WD with a passion too and have had similar experiences, so I don't think it's just my bad luck.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »

Rezzing a thread for a question:

How much performance gain do you get by SLI-linking two video cards instead of 1 really good card?  I can't get a good answer searching google.  The only page I found that had anything useful said just get one really good card and get another one of that card down the road when the price goes down.  I then realized it was posted in 2005, but it still seemed somewhat relevant.  Curious though about the performance gains with current technology.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »

I would look into a CrossFire-X motherboard.  They have a mediocre card on-board, but if you link a supporting, gaming-class card, the single card can use the onboard VRAM and processing power.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »

From what I understand it CAN be a pretty significant jump, but there can be problems (no triple buffer v-sync support unless you go into a 3 card SLI/CrossFire arrangement, some games may not make the best use of it at the moment like The Witcher 2), and in some cases you'd be missing out on more advanced features. Take, say, a DX10 card from a few years back like the 4870. If you could track down another 4870 and crossfire you WOULD gain performance roughly on par with modern cards, but you wouldn't have features like DirectX 11, not to mention you'd be using up a lot more power and generating heat than if you just got one good modern card.

Incidentally, I also have trouble finding 4870s on sale for new, which is the other problem; by the time you might want it most the extra crad may simply be gone and you'd have to resort to a weaker one in the case of crossfire (4850 for this specific example), which will limit the performance gain.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: